SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Scheel a top ten finalist for the Mike Richter award.  

Chance that a goalie not named Spencer Knight wins the award????????

I see McKay winning it.

If Scheel and Knight played the same number of games and same competition, I'd say Scheel would have better numbers across the board. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Scheel a top ten finalist for the Mike Richter award.  

Chance that a goalie not named Spencer Knight wins the award????????

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

About zero.

45 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I thought Dryden McKay was the clear shoo-in to win the Richter? He is higher than Knight in most statistical categories.

You guys think so? I definitely think McKay is going to win it. I get the "East Coast Bias" thing, but I feel like McKay is highly respected across college hockey.

23 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You guys think so? I definitely think McKay is going to win it. I get the "East Coast Bias" thing, but I feel like McKay is highly respected across college hockey.

I think McKay will win also. I also think he should. He’s been great for Mankato since he got there. 

51 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

World Juniors AND at an East Coast school will make Knight a favorite for the award. Personally, I think McKay deserves to win it. Just don't feel it is going to happen. My 2 cents...

That's fair. I personally believe (and hope) those who vote for these kinds of things have an idea of what McKay has done to not ignore him. The WJC connection is stupid and should have zero bearing.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2021 at 8:44 PM, burd said:

It's tempting to just conclude that championship winners are better, but I don't think we can be that simplistic.   IMO, Archie Manning was a better QB than a bunch of those who won SBs. 

My Thinking on this is that Scheel in my opinion is the better goalie but he has yet to prove himself in the National Tourney.  I harken back to a discussion I watched on the NHL network between I don't remember who the talking heads were but the discussion was about who was better Jonathan Toews or John Tavaris.  The discussion ended in agreement that Toews was the better center because he had won several championships and both agreed that Tavaris name should not be compared to Toews until he won a ring.  That is how my thinking leans in the discussion between Cam Johnson and Adam Scheel.

Weatherby and Scheel named forward and goalie of the month in the conference. Raise your hand if you believed this would happen for Jasper back in January? If you're raising your hand, you're a liar lol.

Impressive stuff for him. Scheel just keeps showing how great he is. He's so confident right now. Great month... let's make March even better.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Weatherby and Scheel named forward and goalie of the month in the conference. Raise your hand if you believed this would happen for Jasper back in January? If you're raising your hand, you're a liar lol.

Impressive stuff for him. Scheel just keeps showing how great he is. He's so confident right now. Great month... let's make March even better.

Amen

Somewhere between three and eight games left and then this strange, fun season is done.  They're obviously just as good as anyone, but there's a handful of teams who feel the same, and another couple handfuls who want to pull a Yale. Because it's hockey, any of them could. 

I just rewatched the 1997 title game and the main thing that stood out to me was how much the defense position has changed.  This current group has such good hands and feet, and I hope that's what ultimately separates them from the field. 

On 2/26/2021 at 2:22 PM, Sweethockey said:

World Juniors AND at an East Coast school will make Knight a favorite for the award. Personally, I think McKay deserves to win it. Just don't feel it is going to happen. My 2 cents...

....and his stats are better against much better comp

13 minutes ago, jk said:

Boatloads of individual awards this year.  Congrats on the well deserved honors, but they count for exactly zero goals on the scoreboard in upcoming games. 

Yup, all those awards and it still takes $5 to get a footlong ham sandwich at Subway.