SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Today? 

I'd take 2016. That team had been in that spot. Ran the gamut of playoff games. Plus, the CBS line was just flat-out unstoppable. 

2021 has yet to play in the tournament. With that said, they showed me a lot the past two games. 

Fun conversation.

Agreed. Let's revisit after the season!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ChadR said:

Great question. He is unreal.

I hope he stays for one more year to round off his offensive game. His skating is elite. He's very good defensively. The one item he is missing is the offensive part. I believe he can put up 30 pts next season if he can improve on that. He gets plenty of chances now, so he is close to popping off.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's got 14 points after missing nearly the entire pod for the WJC and is a point per game player in the second half. Jake has PLENTY of offense lol. Incredible hands and vision. Hard shot. Insane moves. 

If he stays, I think he's NCHC player of the year next season and a Hobey hat trick finalist. Kid is absolutely elite. 

Just out of curiosity, what about my post did you not like? Hahaha very curious. Do you not think Jake has plenty of offense? 

I can see why someone may think he's not gonna win the POY or be a Hobey finalist, I just am really impressed with him. 

Just now, Blackheart said:

Don’t forget 2016 had some pretty good depth as well.  That ‘Heavy’ line from 2016 was tough to play against.

That line should live in the lore of UND history like the Hrkac Circus, the Money Line, DOT, Pony Express, CBS.  They didn't blow people off the scoreboard, but my gosh were they an absolute shut down for whomever got to play against them.  Having to deal with Pogo, Johnson, and Rhett all game would require the post game ice bath.    

The way they played against Michigan's CCM line (All in the NHL at the moment) was epic.  Absolutely owned a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick that had put up over 190 points that season.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Don’t forget 2016 had some pretty good depth as well.  That ‘Heavy’ line from 2016 was tough to play against.

Totally agree. Yeah, I don't think 2021's depth is way better, it's just that I feel like the scoring is a bit more spread out. Super close.

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Just out of curiosity, what about my post did you not like? Hahaha very curious. Do you not think Jake has plenty of offense? 

I can see why someone may think he's not gonna win the POY or be a Hobey finalist, I just am really impressed with him. 

I think he needs more work before he goes pro. I'm thinking 4 more games this year and 3 more years would be just about right.:whistling:

3 hours ago, streetsahead said:

Ok let's reframe it: Who would you pick to win in a theoretical matchup between them (assume full health)? - My gut says 2016 but I think there's a lot of nostalgia talking there.

Best defense to date, offense could score.
Didn't have too many team lapses through out the season. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

That line should live in the lore of UND history like the Hrkac Circus, the Money Line, DOT, Pony Express, CBS.  They didn't blow people off the scoreboard, but my gosh were they an absolute shut down for whomever got to play against them.  Having to deal with Pogo, Johnson, and Rhett all game would require the post game ice bath.    

The way they played against Michigan's CCM line (All in the NHL at the moment) was epic.  Absolutely owned a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick that had put up over 190 points that season.  

Yep, I'd put them in the same class as the Calder, Henderson, Ulmer line, the best "checking" line in UND history in my book.  I loved seeing Calder trash talking Goldie the mascot before overtime at the Final Five.  RIP.

16 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Yes. Same with JBD.

Expect them in the lineup.

I'd take JBD at 80% and in the third pair just to have him available on the PP. 

I'm worried that Mismash has been away too long and isn't in game speed/shape. I wonder how they'll work a lineup to bring him back in. With no Senden, we need Mismash back for roster configuration. 

14 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Yep, I'd put them in the same class as the Calder, Henderson, Ulmer line, the best "checking" line in UND history in my book.  I loved seeing Calder trash talking Goldie the mascot before overtime at the Final Five.  RIP.

You youngin's ...

I remember the game where they put Archibald-Jensen-Dub out together. 

I'd have rather kicked Satan's dog with him watching than play against that. 

• Upvote 2

I have to mention Fabian, Canady and Massen.  Two seniors whose careers probably didn't follow the paths they expected got together with Fabian and completely changed the complexion of every game in the 2005 NCAA tournament.  An incredibly shorthanded team wore out every opponent because these guys, together with the bruisingest defensive core, were so tough. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm worried that Mismash has been away too long and isn't in game speed/shape. I wonder how they'll work a lineup to bring him back in. With no Senden, we need Mismash back for roster configuration. 

Dress him as the extra skater? Adjust ice time as needed.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You youngin's ...

Good lord...talk about a hornet’s nest.

6 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Between football and hockey, this is a really fun spring to be a UND fan!

A win against the Bison should move UND to #1. The BC loss last night moves UND back to #1.

When is the last time both hockey and football were ranked #1 teams?

2001???

On 3/18/2021 at 2:39 PM, The Sicatoka said:

You youngin's ...

yikes!  I also seem to remember a game where they put Archie with Brennan and Dachyshyn too...I don't know if I'd want to play if I saw that trio across from me 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

yikes!  I also seem to remember a game where they put Archie with Brennan and Dachyshyn too...I don't know if I'd want to play if I saw that trio across from me 

You did not want to be on the ice late in the game on a Friday night when you had the game in hand when Archie was out there.