SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Did anyone hear Starman talking about Judd Caulfield & Pittsburgh last night. Made a comment about UND coaches calling Pittsburgh and telling them they better come watch him. Wasn't quite sure what he was getting at with that comment....

57 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Did anyone hear Starman talking about Judd Caulfield & Pittsburgh last night. Made a comment about UND coaches calling Pittsburgh and telling them they better come watch him. Wasn't quite sure what he was getting at with that comment....

Judd seems much improved this year--faster, more assertive. I'm really excited to see where his game goes next year. For some reason I thought that this was his junior year, but he's only a sophomore. 

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Bubbs is such good people its ridiculous.  Bringing the students pizza before the games, talking to people on the street that others wouldn't give 10 seconds of their time too, taking the time to talk to youth teams around the state.    

Like or hate the decisions he makes as a coach, the guy is an all star human being.  

Can confirm

25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Bubbs is such good people its ridiculous.  Bringing the students pizza before the games, talking to people on the street that others wouldn't give 10 seconds of their time too, taking the time to talk to youth teams around the state.    

Like or hate the decisions he makes as a coach, the guy is an all star human being.  

I think Brad was raised on a farm.  If so, that doesn't ensure a quality person, but it might help explain some of the work ethic and humility. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I can verify that Dean Blais was the same when I met him at a youth hockey camp when my son was injured, and Berry was very thankful and stopped to speak to my brother and I on the plane back from Anchorage a while ago. 

Both are great guys. Never met Hak myself tho.

1 hour ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I don't think I have ever told this story here, but this seems like a good time. It was June, 2016. My brother asked Brad to come to my mom's house with the national championship trophy. My mom didn't know he was coming. He walked in and said "Hi I'm Brad Berry." She said "Well I know you are!" He spent about 45 minutes talking with us. My mom had stage 4 cancer and died about 3 weeks later. Class act by Mr. Berry.

Thanks for that SFIS

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Question 2: Who in UND's history is Jake Sanderson most like? Comps?

Great question. He is unreal.

I hope he stays for one more year to round off his offensive game. His skating is elite. He's very good defensively. The one item he is missing is the offensive part. I believe he can put up 30 pts next season if he can improve on that. He gets plenty of chances now, so he is close to popping off.

10 hours ago, ChadR said:

Great question. He is unreal.

I hope he stays for one more year to round off his offensive game. His skating is elite. He's very good defensively. The one item he is missing is the offensive part. I believe he can put up 30 pts next season if he can improve on that. He gets plenty of chances now, so he is close to popping off.

He's got 14 points after missing nearly the entire pod for the WJC and is a point per game player in the second half. Jake has PLENTY of offense lol. Incredible hands and vision. Hard shot. Insane moves. 

If he stays, I think he's NCHC player of the year next season and a Hobey hat trick finalist. Kid is absolutely elite. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

How do you rank this year's team in comparison to the 2016 team?

Can you ask me after the season? :D

Top end forwards -- 2016
Forward depth -- 2021
Goaltending -- 2021, but it's close
Defense -- at the beginning of the year, I would have said 2016 with a bullet, but Sanderson is who I expected him to be and Kleven is MUCH better. Nearly all of the 2016 d-corps played in the NHL. The same could happen again. I think I go 2021 because I think Sanderson will be an all-star in the show.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Top end forwards -- 2016
Forward depth -- 2021
Defense -- at the beginning of the year, I would have said 2016 with a bullet, but Sanderson is who I expected him to be and Kleven is MUCH better. Nearly all of the 2016 d-corps played in the NHL. The same could happen again. I think I go 2021 because I think Sanderson will be an all-star in the show.

This is pretty similar to my thinking. Deeper group of forwards but nothing to match CBS line. I kinda threw my hands up when trying to compare the D corps though.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Top end forwards -- 2016
Forward depth -- 2021

Agree here.

2016 defensemen were more experienced. 2021 has more high end talent. 

2021 also has a better power play. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, streetsahead said:

This is pretty similar to my thinking. Deeper group of forwards but nothing to match CBS line. I kinda threw my hands up when trying to compare the D corps though.

I think what stands out about the D-corps that makes me pick them is their youth. Only 2 seniors and our best D is a freshman (IMO). 2016 was heavy upper class. I think the talent level is higher in the 2021 D-corps. That's saying a lot. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Agree here.

2016 defensemen were more experienced. 2021 has more high end talent. 

2021 also has a better power play. 

Yep. You beat me to it by a minute. The 2021 group is so young.

Oh, by far in regards to the PP. Which is crazy. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think what stands out about the D-corps that makes me pick them is their youth. Only 2 seniors and our best D is a freshman (IMO). 2016 was heavy upper class. I think the talent level is higher in the 2021 D-corps. That's saying a lot. 

Ok let's reframe it: Who would you pick to win in a theoretical matchup between them (assume full health)? - My gut says 2016 but I think there's a lot of nostalgia talking there.

Just now, streetsahead said:

Ok let's reframe it: Who would you pick to win in a theoretical matchup between them (assume full health)? - My gut says 2016 but I think there's a lot of nostalgia talking there.

Today? 

I'd take 2016. That team had been in that spot. Ran the gamut of playoff games. Plus, the CBS line was just flat-out unstoppable. 

2021 has yet to play in the tournament. With that said, they showed me a lot the past two games. 

Fun conversation.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Don’t forget 2016 had some pretty good depth as well.  That ‘Heavy’ line from 2016 was tough to play against.

• Upvote 3