SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, SiouxForever said:

Some college football teams are having some large crowds. I love it. At least it’s progress and they’re trying. 

Clemson.....18800 

Texas/OU.......24000  

25%-ish capacity for those 2 games on Saturday 

Of course people want to go, but the ones who are angry because they may not be allowed need to take a deep breath and realize they’ll be fine. 

They’ll all likely be televised and UND puts on a better production than some national networks. NCHC.tv will be huge for this season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

Of course people want to go, but the ones who are angry because they may not be allowed need to take a deep breath and realize they’ll be fine. 

They’ll all likely be televised and UND puts on a better production than some national networks. NCHC.tv will be huge for this season. 

If the bubble is in Omaha, we might get stuck with the UNO streams to start the season though and they suck. Someone needs to talk to them about the zoom in on the guy leaving the penalty box thing. Im not sure how streaming will be handled in the bubble. I figured the host school of the bubble would handle it. 

I’ll be curious to see the revised schedule and how many home games there will be. 

On 10/13/2020 at 12:14 PM, siouxforce19 said:

If the bubble is in Omaha, we might get stuck with the UNO streams to start the season though and they suck. Someone needs to talk to them about the zoom in on the guy leaving the penalty box thing. Im not sure how streaming will be handled in the bubble. I figured the host school of the bubble would handle it. 

I’ll be curious to see the revised schedule and how many home games there will be. 

My understanding is that Midco would do all the games in either city 

18 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

Am I reading this correctly? We’ll get 10 UND/DU games or “division” games?

Or will they play them 6 times for the year? Kind of confusing 

Either 6 or 8 times depending on if they play in the POD in Omaha.  They will play 6 games after the new year against Omaha, Denver and CC. In addition they will play 2 games in the pod vs CC, Omaha, or Denver.

6 games vs. Denver, 6 vs. Colorado College, 6 vs. Omaha.  All in 2021 in a spaced out schedule with byes.

2 games vs. the rest of the teams, all in December in Omaha. 8 games condensed.

The Minnesota school are closer which is the weird thing but I get why it has to be this way.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Why not POD CC, Denver, Miami, and W. Michigan in 1 POD and UND, UMD, St Cloud, and Omaha in the other?  CC Denver, Miami and W. Michigan already will need to fly to almost all games.  The 2nd POD could drive and save travel costs.  Seems strange.  

Oh Well.  Glad to see hockey back.

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

So when are they going to announce ticket refunds for season ticket holders?

This coming Wednesday 10/21 UND will announce it's ticket strategy/plan per an email I received  a couple weeks back.

The highlight being 6 games each, 18 total games vs your Pod (CC / Denver / Omaha) and 2 Games each, 8 total vs other league teams (Miami, Duluth, SCSU, Western).

Who is in your pod is incredibly important, given not only a huge differential in games, but also no Non-Conference games to mix into the Pairwise. Either its you finish at worst #3 in your league or you don't have a shot at making it into the NCAA tourney. 

Let's take a closer look at UND's Pod. This is based on last years NCHC finish.

• 1) North Dakota: 17-4-3 (56 Points)
  • 3) Denver: 11-8-5 (42 Points)
  • 6) Omaha: 8-13-3 (27 Points)
  • 8) Colorado College: 4-17-3 (16 Points)

Highlights for the other teams:

• Denver: About even talent wise. Lost two leading scorers to early departures (can't emphasis enough how important Mitchell was to that team). Finley graduated (5th leading scorer). So lost 3 of their Top 5 scorers (They didn't have PPG guy). Another Depth Forward, Couple D-man and Backup Goalie. Great Goalie coming back, good depth, couple high end forwards returning. Good recruiting Class. I think they are the #2 team pre-season in the NCHC this year.
  • Omaha: Improved: Return Top 5 Scorers off last years team. Do lose 5 Seniors who were contributors (3 F / 2 D). I think they'd be about #4/5 Pre-season in the NCHC this year.
  • CC: Even. When you finish last with that record, there's really no way to be worse. They lose their Top 2 scorers (who were their Top 2 by a healthy margin). Another Top 6 Foward. I'd have them as the #8 Pre-season NCHC team

Pretty even pod's thankfully. Exciting to see the plan. 

1 hour ago, MB-Squid said:

6 games vs. Denver, 6 vs. Colorado College, 6 vs. Omaha.  All in 2021 in a spaced out schedule with byes.

2 games vs. the rest of the teams, all in December in Omaha. 8 games condensed.

The Minnesota school are closer which is the weird thing but I get why it has to be this way.

The division games are interesting. Is it two 3 game series home and away or three 2 game series. Unless it's in the article and I missed it who would get the extra home series.

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

Why not POD CC, Denver, Miami, and W. Michigan in 1 POD and UND, UMD, St Cloud, and Omaha in the other?  CC Denver, Miami and W. Michigan already will need to fly to almost all games.  The 2nd POD could drive and save travel costs.  Seems strange.  

Oh Well.  Glad to see hockey back.

I would like to think and it really wouldn't surprise me if it was done because of competitive balance. It'd be a tough sell to see CC / Miami in the same pod. 

Not a year to get off to slow start. If I was to guess, I think there will be 6 to 12 auto bids with every conferences tournament champion and regular season champion securing a spot in the tournament which means instead of 10 at large bids it could be as few as 4.

I hope I am wrong but I would not be surprised if the regionals are very regionalized as well with little regard to conference matchups.

This article had some additional details on the Omaha pod. Apparently they almost did “air” and “land” divisions. Also sounds like games will be on Midco but it didn’t specify if they’ll just be picking up the feed or if Midco will have a crew there. Sounds like they may try to get some on CBS Sports also. 

https://unothegateway.com/nchc-to-return-to-play-dec-1-in-omaha-pod/