SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

CHN article on recruiting classes:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2020/11/09_Fresh-Faces-For-2020-21.php

Spotlights both Gaber and Sanderson, and ranks UND as the #2 recruiting class this year, behind only Michigan's stacked incoming class.

No matter what their class is listed at.........not afraid of Michigan.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

With a shortened schedule this year, and games played in chunks in December, it’ll be real interesting who will be up for the Hobey this year.  While total points are a factor, I would imagine if some player is lighting the lamp a lot often in the country that will be your front winner. 

Panzer was robbed!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Jack Eichel couldn’t win a championship for BU, nor could Kyle Connor for Michigan, the list goes on. Minus Paul K. w/ Maine you’re not going to win a national championship with touted freshman. 

Getting consistency out of a bunch of freshmen you are counting on is tough, but if you happen to be the team they go off on, you could be out of the tournament in a flash.  I think Michigan has a few guys that stayed that make them dangerous.  At tournament time you have to be cautious of a Holy Cross or an AIC, don’t know why you wouldn’t have some level of anxiety playing a team with numerous potential first rounders.

I used to get super excited about big name recruits like Parise or a Toews coming in.  Not going to complain about high end players coming in but with it comes "how long will they be here?" after the last whistle in April, or in the back of our minds their entire career.  

Is it better to find a kid like Kawaguchi who is a four year kid and a captain, or a kid like Sanderson who will probably be here for two years and if all goes well and he stays injury free will get a big signing bonus thrown at him and a fancy NHL jersey?

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I used to get super excited about big name recruits like Parise or a Toews coming in.  Not going to complain about high end players coming in but with it comes "how long will they be here?" after the last whistle in April, or in the back of our minds their entire career.  

Is it better to find a kid like Kawaguchi who is a four year kid and a captain, or a kid like Sanderson who will probably be here for two years and if all goes well and he stays injury free will get a big signing bonus thrown at him and a fancy NHL jersey?

Getting an undersized finisher like Duncan/Gooch/etc who knows college is his peak is the preference. Gerlach would have potentially been that had he stayed the course. Went straight from MJ to low level Europe.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Jack Eichel couldn’t win a championship for BU, nor could Kyle Connor for Michigan, the list goes on. Minus Paul K. w/ Maine you’re not going to win a national championship with touted freshman. 

He would have if his goalie did not suck. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

A touted freshman or touted freshmen?

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I like the structure of the question, there are so many factors, big difference between 1 Year vs 2, the kind of impact they made. Kawaguchi is the extreme side of the four year player. As was a guy like Duncan. Because of that I'll remove names. It's easier to play when we know their college careers.

It took me a long time and only relatively recently did I get burned enough times to no longer really get too high or low when a player committed. You see the offer list of a 15 year old and think he's the next first rounder. Most times he's not. Likewise you see the 19 year old putting up ok numbers and you wonder why they offered. It's still fun to follow the progress, but I really don't start keying in until the year before they are projected to be here. You do take age into the equation of what to expect, but this is a long winded way of saying I've gotten a lot more excited about the players body of work and not just draft ratings, ect. Take this year for example, it's Gaber / Ness that I'm really excited about. They appear to be the perfect college player. Kind of a cop out, but it's gone from 90/10 in favor of the big name recruits to 50/50 for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, pontoonin said:

Any word if any fans allowed in Omaha? 

They said no, but possibly family. 

Which is great because Im now offering services of "uncle" to any NCHC player wanting that little extra family encouragement.

Or possibly Godfather, I mean nobody is going to say no to letting in a Godfather, amirite

16 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

They said no, but possibly family. 

Which is great because Im now offering services of "uncle" to any NCHC player wanting that little extra family encouragement.

Or possibly Godfather, I mean nobody is going to say no to letting in a Godfather, amirite

Make them an offer they can't refuse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Unfortunately that would defeat the purpose of the pod.  It will be nothing short of a miracle if every game in the pod gets played.  Hoping for the best though. 

With strict discipline and adherence to guidelines, they might do ok. Masks, minimizing any close contacts, no booze (people get careless, alcohol in moderation doesn’t hurt), etc. No socializing with former teammates from other teams, media etc. It also requires all coaches, support staff, media etc to stay out of bars. Team meals should be isolated from public etc. If these kids want a season they will need to be disciplined. Anyone who doesn’t feel perfectly healthy needs to be isolated until they are tested etc. The coaches and support staff will also need to be disciplined. It only takes one to screw things up. 

If it is in Omaha, I still say they should've cut at deal with Omaha's old rink (Quest? CenturyLink? whatever it's called today) and the skyway attached Hilton hotel. They could've literally locked down the play facility, skyway, one set of hotel elevators, and a couple floors of the hotel and had a completely isolated pod. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 11/13/2020 at 9:54 AM, iramurphy said:

With strict discipline and adherence to guidelines, they might do ok. Masks, minimizing any close contacts, no booze (people get careless, alcohol in moderation doesn’t hurt), etc. No socializing with former teammates from other teams, media etc. It also requires all coaches, support staff, media etc to stay out of bars. Team meals should be isolated from public etc. If these kids want a season they will need to be disciplined. Anyone who doesn’t feel perfectly healthy needs to be isolated until they are tested etc. The coaches and support staff will also need to be disciplined. It only takes one to screw things up. 

I am going to make a semi educated guess and say that 65-70% of the Athletes that will be in Omaha have already had Covid.

• Upvote 2