SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Level the playing field means get rid of any overt racism written into law, as was the case in the past. If anything is done beyond that to further any one race than it is by definition racist against the groups that are not included in the program to help. It makes the faulty assumption that because a person is white that they come from a situation where they don’t need any help to rise.

People in poverty need help, period, end of sentence, no qualifiers. They need resources, education, they need options.Take race out of it.

Ok.  When Rs propose something like that I'll listen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wxman91 said:

Ok.  When Rs propose something like that I'll listen.

As if in today’s society any serious politician would be allowed to propose such a sensical plan. They’d be labeled a racist for even suggesting such a program and we both know it.

3 States Account for 42 Percent of All COVID-19 Deaths in America. Why?

Why have New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts suffered so much more than other US states? We don’t yet know the answer to that question, but evidence suggests it could be policy related.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo earlier this year received a great deal of criticism when the state’s policy of prohibiting nursing homes from screening residents for COVID-19 came to light. Cuomo eventually reversed that decision under intense criticism from public health experts and trade group leaders.

This week, the New York State Department of Health issued a report that concluded 6,326 COVID-positive residents were admitted to nursing homes between March 25 and May 8 as a result of the order.

”The data shows that the nursing home residents got COVID from the staff, and presumably, also from those who visited them. Unfortunately, we did not understand the disease early on, we did not realize how widespread it was within our community, and therefore, it was able to be introduced into a vulnerable population,” said New York Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker.

Deaths per million:

• New Jersey: 1,728.7
  • New York: 1,660
  • Massachusetts: 1,189
  • Arizona: 265
  • Florida: 179
  • Texas: 94

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Interesting how masks have become so important in 2020.  

How much money is being made off these masks is my question? Noted and these masks, a majority are being made in China. So if you do the equations, China + gave us the Virus - people getting sick = now China profiting off making mass production of masks = $$$ to China. Brillant .

Just now, SiouxForever said:

How much money is being made off these masks is my question? Noted and these masks, a majority are being made in China. So if you do the equations, China + gave us the Virus - people getting sick = now China profiting off making mass production of masks = $$$ to China. Brilliant .

That's a good question. Who's benefiting financially from this?

9 minutes ago, Goon said:

That's a good question. Who's benefiting financially from this?

Another good question or statement that needs to be considered is not all masks are the same/there is/was no given standard by leadership. I have to wear a mask when I go to Costco in Fargo or get a haircut, I literally have a super thin mask that I continue to use over and over again (probably should be replaced) when I was given it as I toured a newly built house. It's super thin.

I have no problem wearing a mask at Costco etc. as I have noted a few times here in the forums. However, not all masks are the same and they don't protect as equal. Here's the political (not trying to be) joke and discrepancy/ problem with masks as a whole or on a macro level. 

Ready for criticism is 3...2...1..... 

• Upvote 2

when it comes to masks, OSHA is the one group that knows exactly how they are to be used, where they can be used, and how each will protect you/someone else if you use them.   if you do the actual reading on it, it might be eyeopening.....but most wont.  just keep believing what the government says, they are never wrong(sarcasam)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Level the playing field means get rid of any overt racism written into law, as was the case in the past. If anything is done beyond that to further any one race than it is by definition racist against the groups that are not included in the program to help. It makes the faulty assumption that because a person is white that they come from a situation where they don’t need any help to rise.

People in poverty need help, period, end of sentence, no qualifiers. They need resources, education, they need options.Take race out of it.

We have spent Trillions in the last 60 years and the poverty rate is the same.   Personal responsibility, but no one wants to hear that.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Be interesting to see year to date total deaths from the previous few years compared to this year.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html

Nationwide, at least 118,100 more people have died than usual between March 15 and June 13. That number is more than 21,600 higher than the official count of coronavirus deaths for that period. Higher-than-normal death rates are now widespread across the country; of the states with reliable data, only five show numbers that look similar to recent years.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kab said:

# defund congress

they aren’t doing anything anyway

lets just get rid of them

let the states do their own thing 

The first member of Congress who introduced the term "Federal Mandate" in a bill should have a statue erected in their honor so it can be desecrated and then torn down.

Return the power to the States and let the States and Cities keep more of 'their" tax money and the people in those states and cities will hold them accountable at the ballot box.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

How much money is being made off these masks is my question? Noted and these masks, a majority are being made in China. So if you do the equations, China + gave us the Virus - people getting sick = now China profiting off making mass production of masks = $$$ to China. Brillant .

Well. Let me know if you want masks and if so what kind. Let me know if you want them logoed or not logoed. Same goes for gloves, sanitizer, soap and any other PPE you can think of. I would rather go back to selling apparel, pens, and tumblers anytime now.

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

We have spent Trillions in the last 60 years and the poverty rate is the same.   Personal responsibility, but no one wants to hear that.

Equal Opportunity should be paramount. One party wants Equal results regardless of what an individual does with their opportunities and both parties seem to give failing businesses infinite opportunities because they are too big to fail.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

The first member of Congress who introduced the term "Federal Mandate" in a bill should have a statue erected in their honor so it can be desecrated and then torn down.

Return the power to the States and let the States and Cities keep more of 'their" tax money and the people in those states and cities will hold them accountable at the ballot box.

California might not mind that.  They pay far more into the federal budget than they get out of it 

North Dakota, well, that would be the exact opposite. 

22 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Let me try to clear it up with a question. 

Does a white American who grows up in poverty and with drug addicts as parents have an advantage over an African American in the exact same circumstances?

The ultra wealthy, old money in our country is mostly white people. But ALL white people get somehow lumped in with this “old money, waspy, Ivy League” persona that simply isn’t reality.

What I’m saying, is money is what buys privilege in our country. Not skin color. 

People have made good points, but your posts put this in context of a faceted problem with complex solutions and you are making way too much sense. 

7 hours ago, wxman91 said:

I asked for R ideas earlier in this thread and...crickets.  Except, of course, blaming folks for being poor.

I just might be that not all problems can be solved or improved by government action -  or the corollary - there are limits to what government can do to remedy any specific problem.

• Upvote 2