SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

On 7/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Goon said:

Too many people in Chicago are dying from gun fire. My question is, don't their lives matter?

Children are being murdered in cold blood. 

Are you in favor of strickter gun control?

16 hours ago, petey23 said:

Not sure. The old "You are a victim, nothing is your fault, let us take care of you" campaign seems to work out well for the Democratic Politicians but not so well for those duped into voting for them.

'You are a victim,nothing is your fault'

Sounds familiar?

13 hours ago, wxman91 said:

Obviously this can simply be explained by D policies to make sure that people have food to eat and a roof over their head.

image.png.a67f1983eac3acbe5defceb709febbce.png

I have seen this chart before.  Even the people who put it together can’t explain it as easily as you would like.  If I remember correctly, their solution is reparations. 

2 hours ago, homer said:

I have seen this chart before.  Even the people who put it together can’t explain it as easily as you would like.  If I remember correctly, their solution is reparations. 

My fault for not providing the link:  https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/02/27/examining-the-black-white-wealth-gap/

The basic idea is that there are a number of factors, but a large one is the continuous cycle of intergenerational wealth transfer (or lack thereof) and the disparities in the taxation of wealth-derived income (inheritance, capital gains) vs work-derived income.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

My fault for not providing the link:  https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/02/27/examining-the-black-white-wealth-gap/

The basic idea is that there are a number of factors, but a large one is the continuous cycle of intergenerational wealth transfer (or lack thereof) and the disparities in the taxation of wealth-derived income (inheritance, capital gains) vs work-derived income.

Ok.  So what is the answer?

23 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

You want a definition?

Go look in a mirror. .

White Privilege...having an adult male for the first 18 years of your life who would kick your ass if you screwed up.

Systemic Racism...doesn't exist, never has. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, MrEdway said:

White Privilege...having an adult male for the first 18 years of your life who would kick your ass if you screwed up.

Systemic Racism...doesn't exist, never has. 

Well this statement is definitely not something that black community has bought into for decades nor is it part of the BLM movement.

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Ok.  So what is the answer?

Oh, no.  You said that the Ds are doing it all wrong so it is incumbent upon you to explain how the Rs would do it better if they were in charge of inner-cities.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wxman91 said:

With this logic, would it be fair to assume then that if a white person didn't benefit from the transfer of wealth you describe above, that they do not have the privilege that is attributed to anyone with their skin color?

Or

If a person of color did benefit from this wealth transfer that they aren't being systemically oppressed?

Just now, Bison06 said:

With this logic, would it be fair to assume then that if a white person didn't benefit from the transfer of wealth you describe above, that they do not have the privilege that is attributed to anyone with their skin color?

No, because wealth is only one measure of privilege.  It really isn't that hard to find any number of studies and essays on privilege to inform yourself.  You don't have to become "woke", but putting the least bit of effort into the issue can show things from a different perspective.

Just now, wxman91 said:

No, because wealth is only one measure of privilege.  It really isn't that hard to find any number of studies and essays on privilege to inform yourself.  You don't have to become "woke", but putting the least bit of effort into the issue can show things from a different perspective.

Why assume that I haven't been properly "informed", as you say? What if I have read those same studies and books you seem to have and simply come a different conclusion? Is race an issue, of course. Many people in our country are racist unfortunately, but as of 2020 I don't see(feel free to correct me, honestly) what laws that are currently on the books that hold people down due to race.

I think you nailed it with your link. The problem isn't primarily race, the problem is primarily wealth. So why as a society do we not discuss what the core of the problem is instead of yelling racism at every turn?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

So because one does not fully agree with the opinion of someone’s essay they are racist?  

10 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Racist comment...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Why assume that I haven't been properly "informed", as you say? What if I have read those same studies and books you seem to have and simply come a different conclusion? Is race an issue, of course. Many people in our country are racist unfortunately, but as of 2020 I don't see(feel free to correct me, honestly) what laws that are currently on the books that hold people down due to race.

I think you nailed it with your link. The problem isn't primarily race, the problem is primarily wealth. So why as a society do we not discuss what the core of the problem is instead of yelling racism at every turn?

1 minute ago, homer said:

So because one does not fully agree with the opinion of someone’s essay they are racist?  

In my opinion, there is a difference between being racist and being racially uninformed.  Racism is an active disdain for others based upon their race.

Here's a simple question, would you rather be born white in America or black?    

How about some easy data examples:

• Marijuana use - Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana.
  • Black male offenders continued to receive longer sentences than similarly situated White male offenders
  • Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback.

Then there are the other minor things that add up.  What is the last time that a white person was told that they are surprisingly well-spoken "for a white person".

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Well, you have people like Oxbow who have apparently decided that it is the Black community's culture that is the problem, not the circumstances that have led to the various problems.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

In my opinion, there is a difference between being racist and being racially uninformed.  Racism is an active disdain for others based upon their race.

Here's a simple question, would you rather be born white in America or black?    

How about some easy data examples:

• Marijuana use - Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana.
  • Black male offenders continued to receive longer sentences than similarly situated White male offenders
  • Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback.

Then there are the other minor things that add up.  What is the last time that a white person was told that they are surprisingly well-spoken "for a white person".

I don't disagree with any stat you provided. But you provide them without context, the problem I believe still begins with wealth not race. The study has never been done, because nobody's agenda is fulfilled by doing so, but if you took the exact same circumstances of our first two bullet points and then compared them to wealthy vs non-wealthy people, I'd be willing to bet a large some of money those disparities are even wider.

To answer your question, I would say again, you are asking the wrong question. Would I rather be black or white? No preference.

Would I rather grow up wealthy in a two parent household or poor in a single parent household is the question I think is pertinent. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Well, you have people like Oxbow who have apparently decided that it is the Black community's culture that is the problem, not the circumstances that have led to the various problems.

70% of black children have no fathers, that can be a large reason.  Also "I'm a victim mentality is another one".  If this is such racist country how come asian citizens have little to no problems? 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Bison Dan said:

70% of black children have no fathers, that can be a large reason.  Also "I'm a victim mentality is another one".  If this is such racist country how come asian citizens have little to no problems? 

I haven't double-checked your number for accuracy, but if so, why is that the case?

To your second point, I'll let my Pakistani SIL know that she's had no problems as a Muslim in America.  Oh, only East Asians count.  Got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wxman91 said:

Oh, no.  You said that the Ds are doing it all wrong so it is incumbent upon you to explain how the Rs would do it better if they were in charge of inner-cities.

No, you presented a chart that shows they are the lowest in net worth of every race.  Then, you explained why it was.  So you must have the antidote.