SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

The members of this board have always done a good job of avoiding politics, and I hope that continues.  Political discussions are great, but it's better when there is a designated place for them.  

That's my political comment for the day.   :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, burd said:

The members of this board have always done a good job of avoiding politics, and I hope that continues.  Political discussions are great, but it's better when there is a designated place for them.  

That's my political comment for the day.   :)

Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where you can't have a talk about UND sports without also discussing politics......since politics is what is threatening to impact/cancel UND sports 

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where you can't have a talk about UND sports without also discussing politics......since politics is what is threatening to impact/cancel UND sports 

2020, everyday is political given "some" that cry at the sky and another new issue daily. It's exhausting. 

Trump, Covid 19, masks, skewed hospital numbers, riots, statues, police, Redskins name, I can't keep up. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I'm with Tucker Carlson, blindly respecting vets is lame as hell.

Respect the service. Respect the sacrifice. No need for me to respect their trash opinions or them as a person when they use their service as a shield against criticism.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

Really?

This is singularly the stupidest thing I've read on the internet in years.

Let's say that to the victims of Jim Crow in a segregated United States.

Let's say that to the victims of apartheid.

Let's say that to the victims of the holocaust.

I could go on, but why bother? 

You don't earn anything for saying that other than the wrath of people with a sense of right and wrong. You are a fool.

And you're a libtarded moron. Keep making excuses. Never heard an Asian or Hispanic complain of this mysterious institution. 

• Downvote 1

From the CDC

Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 9.0% during week 25 to 5.9% during week 26, representing the tenth week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely change as more death certificates are processed, particularly for recent weeks.

9 minutes ago, homer said:

If it wasn't obvious before recently, it certainly has become crystal clear that the only goal of the media is to confuse people.

Masks are good......................masks make it worse.

Herd immunity is important so let people get Covid and contribute to the herd immunity.........Herd immunity is only achievable with a vaccine.

Young people aren't at risk..................but we have to keep the schools closed.

Covid doesn't live on surfaces...................but we must incessantly clean everything to keep people safe.

Asymptomatic carriers are the real threat....................actually your exceedingly unlikely to transmit the disease when asymptomatic.

This list could be endless, its maddening.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, homer said:

51 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If it wasn't obvious before recently, it certainly has become crystal clear that the only goal of the media is to confuse people.

Herd immunity is important so let people get Covid and contribute to the herd immunity.........Herd immunity is only achievable with a vaccine.

Young people aren't at risk..................but we have to keep the schools closed.

Covid doesn't live on surfaces...................but we must incessantly clean everything to keep people safe.

Asymptomatic carriers are the real threat....................actually your exceedingly unlikely to transmit the disease when asymptomatic.

#trustthescience

#believetheexperts

Covid will always be a part of life going forward in one shape or form. With the understanding that not everyone agrees, but if you look at how the increase in Covid death almost perfectly reflects the decrease in flu deaths, the way the CDC is counting Covid makes it look more pervasive than I believe it is. Why do they have to shove a q-tip into your brain through the back of your nose (I know I am exaggerating) when it is supposed to be so easily transmitted. Here is my political statement and then I will go into the penalty box...

Will Covid (as a news item) go away November 4th?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

The hospitalization data is striking and you can see a clear bottoming and deaths have started to tick back up.

Hmmm.  So, what you are saying is that the uptick in cases will ultimately result in an uptick in deaths.  

So, these people don't just die right away?  They might be sick for awhile and then die?

That makes it soooooo inconvenient for those trying to spin a narrative saying that deaths are going down.  Darn you and your facts!  

8 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Hmmm.  So, what you are saying is that the uptick in cases will ultimately result in an uptick in deaths.  

So, these people don't just die right away?  They might be sick for awhile and then die?

That makes it soooooo inconvenient for those trying to spin a narrative saying that deaths are going down.  Darn you and your facts!  

Deaths were going down.  Look at the chart.  Now they suddenly went up and you act like you were right the entire time.  

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

2 hours ago, homer said:

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

#trustthescience

#believetheexperts

Those two stories don’t contradict each other in any way.  Two different studies, vastly different methods and geographic areas.  My takeaway is that even though NYC was hit very hard, only 20-25% have the antibodies and we don’t even know if that is good enough to ward off COVID-19 or its mutations.

You do realize what the “novel” part of the coronavirus name means, right?  New.  And with any new disease there are going to be a lot of studies, and yes, some are going to contradict each other.  That is how science works.  Eventually you get to a place of better understanding and a set of best recommendations.  Until then, the conservative path of caution should be the one taken.

I’ve said before in this thread, I will be sending my daughter to school later this summer because COVID-19 doesn’t appear to be a danger to children and distance learning for early elementary kids is a cluster.  But if new facts come to light I will have no hesitation in pulling her out.

Just now, UND1983 said:

Deaths were going down.  Look at the chart.  Now they suddenly went up and you act like you were right the entire time.  

It was highly predictable that they would go back up based on the hospitalization data.  That poster was correct the whole time.

Just now, wxman91 said:

It was highly predictable that they would go back up based on the hospitalization data.  That poster was correct the whole time.

Would the percentage of deaths vs cases still be similar?

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Would the percentage of deaths vs cases still be similar?

No, cases won’t have the same correlation due to testing rates and self selection bias of those getting tested.  However, it appears that they can be used at a bulk level.