SiouxSports.com Forum

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

UND-FB-FAN

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

"lets get dominant, top shelf defensive lineman and switch to a 4-3".  That was your point, correct?  

They don’t even need to be “dominant”. Just disruptive enough. At our level if you have a solid 3 and a really good 1 you can have a lot of success.

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They don’t even need to be “dominant”. Just disruptive enough. At our level if you have a solid 3 and a really good 1 you can have a lot of success.

I agree with you and others who have said that a defense can be successful regardless of the scheme, but I lean your way on recruiting for each scheme being different.

It seems like the 3-4 requires a few players on the defense to be a very specific type of player to be successful.

Nose tackle has to be an absolute dude and your outside backers have to be a very specific hybrid of pass rushing/coverage players to be great. (Terrell Suggs, Jerry Hughes types) A player with linebacker hips and d end pass rushing skills is hard to find at the FCS level. 

The 4-3 scheme seems a bit more flexible with different types of athletes. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Why is Schmidt leaving a coordinator job at the fcs level for a position coach position at a G5 school? Just seems strange. I could see if he was leaving for a G5 coordinator job but a position coach seems like a step down.

I believe it was reported that he'll also be the ST coordinator. The previous ST coordinator (who also coached RB's) was making over $200K/year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Why is Schmidt leaving a coordinator job at the fcs level for a position coach position at a G5 school? Just seems strange. I could see if he was leaving for a G5 coordinator job but a position coach seems like a step down.

Also building a resume and a relationship with a coach on the way up. If you want to be a coach at the highest level this is a great opportunity. If these guys turn Fresno into a Conference Champion with 10-12 win seasons and a bowl win they move up. Much more money. 

28 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am blown away that he takes a technically lower position and gets a raise from around 100K to around 200K, mind blowing...

This is why UND, NDSU, the Montana’s and the rest don’t go FBS. 

Plus, Special Teams Co-ordinator is not necessarily a step down.

• Upvote 1