SiouxSports.com Forum

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

UND-FB-FAN

45 minutes ago, Kab said:

I find it amusing, when we hire a president we want someone with Nd ties.

we hire a football coach and we are inbred if we hire someone with ND ties.

we are equal opportunity haters 

A president with North Dakota ties is less likely just be job hoping and hopefully more invested in the position.

An in house UND football promotion, is just a retread of a similar system, without new ideas or processes. 

2 hours ago, SteppenHawk said:

The reality is that quality coaches were not going to be interested. Hire in house and get it over with I suppose.

I agree with this, we weren't going to get some big splash of a coach.  If they felt confident in him, hire him and don't give any new recruits to have any doubts.  Really hope he can step up and be solid!

Brilliant selection by Bubba.  If he opens it up and brings in a fresh talented hire for DC he would be hearing calls for his job halfway through his next muddling 6-5 season.  Now with Holinka and Freund (and Bubba's contract) he has guaranteed himself another couple years since there is no viable in-house option to replace him.

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

Brilliant selection by Bubba.  If he opens it up and brings in a fresh talented hire for DC he would be hearing calls for his job halfway through his next muddling 6-5 season.  Now with Holinka and Freund (and Bubba's contract) he has guaranteed himself another couple years since there is no viable in-house option to replace him.

No one was calling for an in house promotion this year when everyone wanted Bubba's hide.   When Bubba finally gets the axe it might be wise to clean house and start completely over.   Brutal but effective.

6 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

He has one year to win or may be in trouble

2 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

No one was calling for an in house promotion this year when everyone wanted Bubba's hide.   When Bubba finally gets the axe it might be wise to clean house and start completely over.   Brutal but effective.

This was nothing more than a self preservation pick by Bubba.  Absolutely a complete refresh is needed. Instead UND rolls into Missouri Valley play with the same old 6-5 just wait til next year attitude. 

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

New fresh talented DC has a bad enough defense that the team goes 6-5?  

Yes Brett is a former player, but he's only been on staff for one year, so it's hardly an "inbred" hire in terms of having a coach being brought up through the program and only having coaching experience within the program.  He's pulling from experience that he has gained from a Big Ten program, a very good defensive coordinator at a perennial power at the D3 level, and coordinator experience (both DC and ST) in a very strong D2 conference.  Pair that with the pride that comes with coaching for your alma mater, Brett will do a great job in getting the guys organized and playing good defense.  Advantage for him as opposed to an outside candidate is that he knows all the guys on the team and what they do well and what they need to improve on, huge advantage going into a coordinator position as opposed to "New Blood".  Looking forward to seeing how Brett does with the defense and I wish him nothing but the best!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheFlop said:

False. I would say if Bubba decided to step down and they hired Danny Freund to be the HC few would complain......

8 minutes ago, Nodak61 said:

So, if you work hard at your job, and a management position in your office opens up, you shouldn't be hired if you're qualified and can fill the position, just because you already work in that office?  All jobs should be hired externally?  What motivation does that give anyone working toward wanting to move up the ladder?  C'mon people... I listen and think that for some of you, nothing is good enough....  Fire Bubba.  Freund won't be able to do it.  Fire the strength coach.  Fire the special teams coach.   I will say that there is always room for improvement, but I don't think that anybody in the UND FB program is just sitting on their ass collecting a paycheck and that they want to just be a 6-5 team each year.  There are things hindering our program, and the majority of them start with $$$$.   Higher coaches salaries, and HPC part 2 would be two big ticket items that could help our program.  I personally like someone that has some familiarity with the program.  There are many alumni who bleed green and feel connected with that familiarity.  

The pluses with this hire are that you have someone with some experience as a DC.   You have someone familiar with the program and the players.  You have someone familiar with the recruits (this is a big one for me as I hope to keep all the recruits that we signed and hope they don't jump ship because a coach left (see our qb recruit)).  

As it stands, I will support Brett and hope that we make a splash in Missouri Valley.  No one is expecting us to come in and be a top dog and I'm fine with that.   Let's prove them wrong.  It will be a tough conference to play in, but I think that we can compete.  With success at recruiting, some tweaking of some of the intangibles, and hard work, we can find success in the mighty Missouri Valley.  

Rant done.  

Don’t know ya.... but “me like ya”..... 
Best post of 2020 so far !!!    
Good Luck Coach H ! 

GO HAWKS !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiouxAlum09 said:

Yes Brett is a former player, but he's only been on staff for one year, so it's hardly an "inbred" hire in terms of having a coach being brought up through the program and only having coaching experience within the program.  He's pulling from experience that he has gained from a Big Ten program, a very good defensive coordinator at a perennial power at the D3 level, and coordinator experience (both DC and ST) in a very strong D2 conference.  Pair that with the pride that comes with coaching for your alma mater, Brett will do a great job in getting the guys organized and playing good defense.  Advantage for him as opposed to an outside candidate is that he knows all the guys on the team and what they do well and what they need to improve on, huge advantage going into a coordinator position as opposed to "New Blood".  Looking forward to seeing how Brett does with the defense and I wish him nothing but the best!

This does not play well with those who roll negative, thanks for the insight.

21 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Yes a company should reward its employees and hire internally if those employees have made the company successful.  In a company that has underperformed by only being average, fresh blood is needed. 

Average teams don't make the playoffs. That's what above average teams do. We beat Montana State this year, who willed themselves all the way to the Semi Finals. You really think we are average. This is a hockey school. We are fortunate to have a football program that is competitive to go along with it.

29 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He will need an extension after this season, that's my point.

I bet they give him a very modest 2 year extension, then hand the reigns to Danny. With Schmidt gone, that opens the door for Danny to be hired in the near future, unless they open it up and someone incredibly impressive applies.

1 hour ago, Nodak61 said:

So, if you work hard at your job, and a management position in your office opens up, you shouldn't be hired if you're qualified and can fill the position, just because you already work in that office?  All jobs should be hired externally?  What motivation does that give anyone working toward wanting to move up the ladder?  C'mon people... I listen and think that for some of you, nothing is good enough....  Fire Bubba.  Freund won't be able to do it.  Fire the strength coach.  Fire the special teams coach.   I will say that there is always room for improvement, but I don't think that anybody in the UND FB program is just sitting on their ass collecting a paycheck and that they want to just be a 6-5 team each year.  There are things hindering our program, and the majority of them start with $$$$.   Higher coaches salaries, and HPC part 2 would be two big ticket items that could help our program.  I personally like someone that has some familiarity with the program.  There are many alumni who bleed green and feel connected with that familiarity.  

The pluses with this hire are that you have someone with some experience as a DC.   You have someone familiar with the program and the players.  You have someone familiar with the recruits (this is a big one for me as I hope to keep all the recruits that we signed and hope they don't jump ship because a coach left (see our qb recruit)).  

As it stands, I will support Brett and hope that we make a splash in Missouri Valley.  No one is expecting us to come in and be a top dog and I'm fine with that.   Let's prove them wrong.  It will be a tough conference to play in, but I think that we can compete.  With success at recruiting, some tweaking of some of the intangibles, and hard work, we can find success in the mighty Missouri Valley.  

Rant done.  

I think we have all been in office situations where management doesn't hire from within on several occasions, and what that does to the morale of those that see that.   Of course it is all dependent on being qualified for the position, but if you can hire from within, it creates a more united workplace, provided the person hired isn't despised. 

34 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Yes a company should reward its employees and hire internally if those employees have made the company successful.  In a company that has underperformed by only being average, fresh blood is needed. 

So Danny doing well this year is what?   According to your logic, Danny shouldn't have been considered because he worked under Rudy, and god know how many on here called for Rudy's firing because he was doing so well.....  Can't we have a positive attitude that Coach H will bring some refreshing and new ideas to our 3-4 scheme, and maybe do as well or better than the last DC?   Give the guy a chance, then pass judgement.  Maybe he's a diamond in the rough, just like Danny was.  Everyone needs to stop with all the "negative waves"!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak61 said:

Rant done.  

Good post.  And congratulations and good luck to Coach H.

Twice I have been major burned when I was on a committee that did not hire a qualified person from within. The teacher left after a few months and the right person got hired. The head librarian was a disaster and legally, publicly left voluntarily... but the rest of the story!

Hire from within if qualified.... good luck in 2020.