SiouxSports.com Forum

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

UND-FB-FAN

27 minutes ago, zonadub said:

This is why UND, NDSU, the Montana’s and the rest don’t go FBS. 

Plus, Special Teams Co-ordinator is not necessarily a step down.

ST Coordinator is a pretty big step down from DC or OC.  But FBS makes it worth it.

48 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

They didn't open it up for the application circus.

No external opening means no application circus and the easy path for Bubba, Athletics, and UND HR. 

It's far easier to post and hire for positions that are less "high profile". 

I understand people not being excited about this hire. Who were they going to get that was better? What slam dunk candidate was going to come in and run Bubba’s system? Bubba wasn’t letting go of the reins. Wouldn’t surprise me to find out that Bubba is going to start calling the defense during games. Which may not be a bad thing. 
I might be way off but to me this might open a door to finding a really good position coach/recruiter. Could be a good thing. I’m staying positive. Like everyone or close to everyone else not super excited but positive. 

Conspiracy theory: Don’t take me to serious, this is just a theory. Do you think part of Schmidt leaving had to do with him wanting to switch Defenses? Hiring Holinka was his willingness to believe in the 3-4 and allow Bubba to start calling games? 

9 minutes ago, bang said:

Conspiracy theory: Don’t take me to serious, this is just a theory. Do you think part of Schmidt leaving had to do with him wanting to switch Defenses? Hiring Holinka was his willingness to believe in the 3-4 and allow Bubba to start calling games? 

Less than zero percent chance of that being real

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Here is his take on alignment. Refreshing to hear coach speak on this, as he’s spot on. The talk on this board about 3-4 or 4-3 has been nothing more than strongly misinformed amateur opinion. 

“We're still base 3-4; I don't think that'll change at the University of North Dakota," Holinka said. "That's who we are. You're going to put your tweaks and changes to what you're more comfortable with, but it's not like we're tearing up the playbook and starting over. Coach Schmidt did a fantastic job the last six years. We'll emphasize different things, but UND Fighting Hawk defense is 3-4 defense. Will we line up differently? Yeah. Will we look like we have four down (linemen) sometimes? Yeah. But really, it's just whether one guy is standing up or in a stance. I think some people buy too much into whether you're 3 or 4 (down linemen)."

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Here is his take on alignment. Refreshing to hear coach speak on this, as he’s spot on. The talk on this board about 3-4 or 4-3 is nothing more than strongly misinformed amateur opinion. 

“We're still base 3-4; I don't think that'll change at the University of North Dakota," Holinka said. "That's who we are. You're going to put your tweaks and changes to what you're more comfortable with, but it's not like we're tearing up the playbook and starting over. Coach Schmidt did a fantastic job the last six years. We'll emphasize different things, but UND Fighting Hawk defense is 3-4 defense. Will we line up differently? Yeah. Will we look like we have four down (linemen) sometimes? Yeah. But really, it's just whether one guy is standing up or in a stance. I think some people buy too much into whether you're 3 or 4 (down linemen)."

To me the difference is personnel. No offense is fooled by Jaxson Turner being up on the line with his hand in the dirt. They will however take notice if there’s two legitimate interior defensive linemen and a Mason Bennett on each end of the line. 
To me there is a big difference between the two defenses. Which leads to personnel. We need a good NG to make the 3-4 work. 

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Here is his take on alignment. Refreshing to hear coach speak on this, as he’s spot on. The talk on this board about 3-4 or 4-3 has been nothing more than strongly misinformed amateur opinion. 

Actually, the talk in this thread about differences in personnel between the two defenses is spot on. Mr. Holinka is likely very well aware of the current conversations surrounding the defense and is downplaying the differences between the two. Savvy media comments.

The two fronts are very different, much more than just standing up or putting his hand on the ground.  3-4 defenses require your nose to be responsible for two gaps vs one. Without a Haloti Ngata type at the nose that can absolutely manhandle the center and requiring a double team on nearly every play, the defense is vulnerable.

Point is, they are very different fronts and require very different recruiting, IMO.

Mr. Holinka clearly knows this and I'm sure will do a great job recruiting the players that best fit his defense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

No external opening means no application circus and the easy path for Bubba, Athletics, and UND HR. 

It's far easier to post and hire for positions that are less "high profile". 

Status quo for UND athletics

Recordable-Easy-Button-with-Custom-Voice-and-Logo.jpg

A candidate would have to run a fairly unique version of the 34 which is bubba's precious and take a moderate salary for their trouble. Oh and there is a good chance that they could be let go after next season. 

The reality is that quality coaches were not going to be interested. Hire in house and get it over with I suppose.

• Upvote 1