SiouxSports.com Forum

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

UND-FB-FAN

11 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It's all he knows and the only playbook he has, since 1989. Why would he try and run something he has no familiarity with?  

So hire someone that does know how to run it.  Relinquish control of the defense fully to the new DC and let them run it.  It's not like Bubba has no clue how a 4-3 defense sorks.  They scheme against it virtually every game.

18 minutes ago, Siouxperkick said:

It doesn't matter if we employ a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, both have its strengths and its weaknesses. This is ALL about recruiting. If we want a successful 3-4, we NEED size up front with quick backers that can cover AND hit (think of the great Steelers, Ravens defenses). I'm not sure how well Bubba uses wrinkles in his defense to disguise coverage, overcome mismatches, etc. though.

A 4-3 that can get consistent pressure with 4 DL is the most dominant way to play defense. Average teams can win with that formula. Look at the NYG team that beat the undefeated Patriots team. If you can drop 7 and still pressure the qb you have a huge advantage.

• Upvote 1

It isn't so much that the 3-4 is a bad defense (although not many schools use it and it was installed for an entirely different situation) - It's more that we insist on using only this regardless of personnel or situation and at times have difficulty recruiting for it.  This also goes to the idea that Bubba is ultra old-school and very slow to change or adapt.  Hopefully the success of our new OC will lead us to at least look at other options.  If we have the personnel to make the 3-4 work great.  If not, we need to be able to adjust.

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

A 4-3 that can get consistent pressure with 4 DL is the most dominant way to play defense. Average teams can win with that formula. Look at the NYG team that beat the undefeated Patriots team. If you can drop 7 and still pressure the qb you have a huge advantage.

if we ever get DL that are historically good like that let me know and I am on board - great example.  

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

This might be a good answer to our NG.   

Interesting tidbit: UND football signee Craig Orlando of Verndale, MN is ranked #7 in the country at heavyweight by

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yes, it CAN get consistent pressure with 4 DL, but if you don't have the guys to do it, then your defense is going to suck. Like I said, recruiting is huge. You can win with any defense as long as you have the right players.

I think one of the main issues with our DL play in the 3-4 recently is our NG (says captain obvious) play, which really isn't about the people in it but the size of them.  We need some 300+ pound bowling balls with high motors out there for that, similar to Tank Harris.  Morrison is a very good player, but he still needs 20+ pounds to really have the size.  Our DE have been traditionally undersized as well - they really shouldn't be much smaller than Mason Bennett, although Dranka and Greeley (and some of the kids this year) showed you can play at below that and still be effective.  Ideally they should be Mason Bennett or Cieslak size.  

Again, I think we've got some really good talent at these positions, but think we need more size for more disruption to allow our LB to make plays at the line/in the backfield. 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

ok ace.  When we hired Bubba we knew we were getting the 3-4.  End of story.

" ... stay in your lane."

#loserthink

"Loserthink is about unproductive ways of thinking."

You're in the mental trap of "sunk capital": We've spent it so even if it's not working we have to keep throwing good money after bad. Instead, why not risk a change to something that might work instead of staying with something we know isn't working. 

17 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I think one of the main issues with our DL play in the 3-4 recently is our NG (says captain obvious) play, which really isn't about the people in it but the size of them.  We need some 300+ pound bowling balls with high motors out there for that, similar to Tank Harris.  Morrison is a very good player, but he still needs 20+ pounds to really have the size.  Our DE have been traditionally undersized as well - they really shouldn't be much smaller than Mason Bennett, although Dranka and Greeley (and some of the kids this year) showed you can play at below that and still be effective.  Ideally they should be Mason Bennett or Cieslak size.  

Again, I think we've got some really good talent at these positions, but think we need more size for more disruption to allow our LB to make plays at the line/in the backfield. 

I think even Bennett was undersized for the 3-4.  Closer to Cieslak size is what I'd like to see.  3 DL eat up OL and free up the LBs to make plays.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Do you have comparative assistant salary pool numbers for SDSU, USD, and UNI?

Don't know but I believe we hired our WR coach for $40k if that is any indicator. 

Unless we pay more than them it is hard to see anybody making a lateral move to come to GF without some personal tie to the area or the staff.

Responding to all this "Jimmy's and Joe's" talk.

The Minnesota Vikings beat the Saints in OT on the road in part because Zimmer made some key adjustments to the defense. If he had been stubborn and stuck to his base scheme (which is what Bubba does too often, btw), Brees and company would have carved them up like a roast and the Vikings would be talking about next year right now.

Adjusting your scheme to fit your personnel is a big part of it.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Don't know but I believe we hired our WR coach for $40k if that is any indicator. 

Unless we pay more than them it is hard to see anybody making a lateral move to come to GF without some personal tie to the area or the staff.

Isn't Bubba one of the lowest paid HC in the FCS as well?

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If he had been stubborn and stuck to his base scheme (which is what Bubba does too often, btw)

Just curious, do you have any actual understanding of what adjustments are or aren't made or are you just assuming?

I only ask because I saw them try to attack offenses multiple different ways. Obviously they weren't successful for a variety of reasons, but to make the assumption that they aren't trying new things is a bit obtuse.

Zimmer moved a safety to nickel corner beause he didn't have other options. They also made some other adjustments to handle the Saints offense, which isn't a ton different than what teams do every week. It just happened to work out beyond all expectations, particularly considering how poorly Sendejo has been playing this year. 

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Do you have comparative assistant salary pool numbers for SDSU, USD, and UNI?

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

2018 Assistant Coaching Salaries/Benefits

UND 918K
SDSU 770K
USD 790K
NDSU 1.263M

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Just curious, do you have any actual understanding of what adjustments are or aren't made or are you just assuming?

I only ask because I saw them try to attack offenses multiple different ways. Obviously they weren't successful for a variety of reasons, but to make the assumption that they aren't trying new things is a bit obtuse.

Zimmer moved a safety to nickel corner beause he didn't have other options. They also made some other adjustments to handle the Saints offense, which isn't a ton different than what teams do every week. It just happened to work out beyond all expectations, particularly considering how poorly Sendejo has been playing this year. 

He moved a couple of guys from DE to DT to exploit weaknesses in the Saint's OL. That put pressure on Brees and made him ineffective most of the day. These changes were widely reported in the media after the game. Zimmer gets criticized for not making adjustments by a lot of people, not just me. But if that makes me obtuse, so be it.

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Here is an example of what I am talking about: Kirk Cousins finally comes up big, hits two huge throws to lift Vikings over Saints in overtime

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, who has had his job security questioned this past week, had a great game. Minnesota got a good pass rush, often by moving its best rushers around. The Vikings diagnosed some of the attempts by the Saints to get Kamara in space. Thomas, at the end of a season in which he broke the record for receptions, wasn’t much of a factor.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

He moved a couple of guys from DE to DT to exploit weaknesses in the Saint's OL. That put pressure on Brees and made him ineffective most of the day. These changes were widely reported in the media after the game. Zimmer gets criticized for not making adjustments by a lot of people, not just me. But if that makes me obtuse, so be it.

so he didn't switch to a 3-4 for the Saints game?