SiouxSports.com Forum

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

UND-FB-FAN

29 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Maybe this should go into a different thread, but it appears UND will have a new defensive assistant (guessing grad, as nothing appears to have been announced) but Luke Johnson, who just finished up playing at UW - Platteville, has a new twitter profile as a UND "defensive assistant".  

https://twitter.com/Coach_LJohnson

The new DL coach obviously

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Average teams don't make the playoffs. That's what above average teams do. We beat Montana State this year, who willed themselves all the way to the Semi Finals. You really think we are average. This is a hockey school. We are fortunate to have a football program that is competitive to go along with it.

35-30 over last 6 years?  Yeah that's pretty much the definition of average.......but just wait til next year right?

19 minutes ago, Nodak61 said:

YES!  Exactly what I was referencing!  Figured I was too old for many to remember that!!!  :)

The original reference is to Sherlock Holmes novels.
He addresses his nemesis, Moriarty, with an "always with the negative waves" line.

I believe it's used in one of the Robert Downey Jr as "Holmes" movies. 

21 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

35-30 over last 6 years?  Yeah that's pretty much the definition of average.......but just wait til next year right?

If you know anything about taking over a program, you know that the first 2-3 years are a wash because what was there when you got there was not exactly what you want for your schemes and beliefs. Not disrespect, but it is not like Bubba took over Bama. He took over a hockey school's football program. We won a Big Sky Championship, which I consider the best overall conference in the FCS. Ya I know you are going to start on "the Mighty Valley", but look at the bottom half of the Valley. It's real bad. Look at your last ten comments, are you even a UND fan or just someone who comes on here to piss off true fans with negativity and moaning?

5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

If you know anything about taking over a program, you know that the first 2-3 years are a wash because what was there when you got there was not exactly what you want for your schemes and beliefs. Not disrespect, but it is not like Bubba took over Bama. He took over a hockey school's football program. We won a Big Sky Championship, which I consider the best overall conference in the FCS. Ya I know you are going to start on "the Mighty Valley", but look at the bottom half of the Valley. It's real bad. Look at your last ten comments, are you even a UND fan or just someone who comes on here to piss off true fans with negativity and moaning?

Pretty sure he isn't a UND fan.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Pretty sure he isn't a UND fan.

A UND fan?  Yes.  A fan of the philosophy of the football team where they keep doing the same thing and expecting different results?  No.  Despite being second fiddle in town UND football has enough going for it where just being average should not be the expectation year after year. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

A UND fan?  Yes.  A fan of the philosophy of the football team where they keep doing the same thing and expecting different results?  No.  Despite being second fiddle in town UND football has enough going for it where just being average should not be the expectation year after year. 

Why would you cheer for a team you literally have nothing positive to say about? That's like being a Browns fan because you know it will piss you off and bring negativity into your life. Unless you played for UND or have a child on the current squad, I highly suggest you find a new team to follow because there is a very slim chance this team ever lives up to your expectations.

55 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Why would you cheer for a team you literally have nothing positive to say about? That's like being a Browns fan because you know it will piss you off and bring negativity into your life. Unless you played for UND or have a child on the current squad, I highly suggest you find a new team to follow because there is a very slim chance this team ever lives up to your expectations.

Lol ok fan police.  You should be in charge of UND Football advertising campaign....."Middle of the pack keeps Bubba coming back"

21 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Lol ok fan police.  You should be in charge of UND Football advertising campaign....."Middle of the pack keeps Bubba coming back"

Well I am just saying click on your profile and go look at every single one of your comments. Literally every comment you post is negative. When was the last time you said anything positive about UND football?

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Well I am just saying click on your profile and go look at every single one of your comments. Literally every comment you post is negative. When was the last time you said anything positive about UND football?

Funny.  Either a Bizon fan or Muss

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

How would people ever move up in the coaching world if internal hiring didn't happen?

Schmidt moved up by going outside of UND, or at least he moved up financially.    We can hire from outside too can't we?

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Almost want UND to switch to a 4-3 just to shut everyone up.... then wait for everyone to realize it's more about players than scheme.

Would switching to a 4-3 help UND contain Idaho St.?

• Upvote 2

On 1/9/2020 at 4:17 PM, Bison06 said:

Actually, the talk in this thread about differences in personnel between the two defenses is spot on. Mr. Holinka is likely very well aware of the current conversations surrounding the defense and is downplaying the differences between the two. Savvy media comments.

The two fronts are very different, much more than just standing up or putting his hand on the ground.  3-4 defenses require your nose to be responsible for two gaps vs one. Without a Haloti Ngata type at the nose that can absolutely manhandle the center and requiring a double team on nearly every play, the defense is vulnerable.

Point is, they are very different fronts and require very different recruiting, IMO.

Mr. Holinka clearly knows this and I'm sure will do a great job recruiting the players that best fit his defense.

It’s just a title based on tendency. You can call it a 3-4 and yet play it like a 4-3 with one backer as an end-backer hybrid. Alternatively, you can call it 3-4 and really play it like a 5-2 and have all O linemen covered, therefore NOT requiring the nose to traditionally cover 2 gaps. Many hybrid spins to the 3-4 defense. That’s the beauty of it.

The personnel is key in absolutely everything when it comes to successful schemes, so that’s common sense.

It’s about putting the players in the best position. UND will be a 3-4 defense and recruit to it, but the success or lack thereof simply comes down to the ability of the players. 

My only gripes on UND’s defense in the past has been their nickel packages. They could do a better job with sub packages; more backers and defensive backs rather than always keep 3 down linemen on the field during passing downs.

Mason Bennett was a key player for UND because he had the ability to be a true hybrid defensive end. He could play 4-3 defensive end, 3-4 outside backer, and even 3 technique 3-4 defensive end, which is what UND had him listed as. I think he was most successful when standing up, however, as perimeter backer in UND’s scheme. Very athletic despite his frame. UND will miss him. Jaxon Turner is much more a true outside linebacker, would like him to be a bit bigger. Definitely has the athleticism. 

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s just a title based on tendency. You can call it a 3-4 and yet play it like a 4-3 with one backer as an end-backer hybrid. Alternatively, you can call it 3-4 and really play it like a 5-2 and have all O linemen covered, therefore NOT requiring the nose to traditionally cover 2 gaps. Many hybrid spins to the 3-4 defense. That’s the beauty of it.

The personnel is key in absolutely everything when it comes to successful schemes, so that’s common sense.

It’s about putting the players in the best position. UND will be a 3-4 defense and recruit to it, but the success or lack thereof simply comes down to the ability of the players. 

My only gripes on UND’s defense in the past has been their nickel packages. They could do a better job with sub packages; more backers and defensive backs rather than always keep 3 down linemen on the field during passing downs.

Mason Bennett was a key player for UND because he had the ability to be a true hybrid defensive end. He could play 4-3 defensive end, 3-4 outside backer, and even 3 technique 3-4 defensive end, which is what UND had him listed as. I think he was most successful when standing up, however, as perimeter backer in UND’s scheme. Very athletic despite his frame. UND will miss him. Jaxon Turner is much more a true outside linebacker, would like him to be a bit bigger. Definitely has the athleticism. 

In my opinion this is not so much that the 3-4 is a poor defense as it is a symbol of our hidebound coach.  Don't have the personnel to run it this year? - "Do it anyway - that's what we do."  Time for a new coordinator - "Who in house is most experienced at the 3-4?"  You're a 37-32 coach at UND - what's your plan for improvement?  "More of the same".  It symbolizes 5 years of Rudy, all of the 4th down and short punts, the Idaho State games,  and the Day By Day press conferences.  If at the end of the day the 3-4 is the best option for our personnel - great.  But please open up your mind a bit.  Bubba is a dinosaur and the comet is approaching.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Irish said:

In my opinion this is not so much that the 3-4 is a poor defense as it is a symbol of our hidebound coach.  Don't have the personnel to run it this year? - "Do it anyway - that's what we do."  Time for a new coordinator - "Who in house is most experienced at the 3-4?"  You're a 37-32 coach at UND - what's your plan for improvement?  "More of the same".  It symbolizes 5 years of Rudy, all of the 4th down and short punts, the Idaho State games,  and the Day By Day press conferences.  If at the end of the day the 3-4 is the best option for our personnel - great.  But please open up your mind a bit.  Bubba is a dinosaur and the comet is approaching.

You realize the DL was the thinnest part of the defense, right?  So now you want to play four of them at a time and risk further injury?

• Upvote 3