SiouxSports.com Forum

Fresno State hires Eric Schmidt

UND-FB-FAN

5 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Part of this is to keep our expectations on here in check. I haven't the slightest idea who I would hire, however, I won't be surprised if it is an internal promotion with a hire of a new defensive assistant. As far as outside hires, I wouldn't be surprised by Dosch or someone else with familiarity to the staff. It is hard to hire someone to be a coordinator that doesn't have a relationship with the current staff. That being said, don't expect a splashy hire.

I'm not expecting "splashy" based on name alone (I don't even know who that would be),  but I want to see the defense improve.  We got the offensive upgrade we needed, now let's the get the defensive one. 

42 minutes ago, Dustin said:

That could have been part of the impetus for Schmidt to take the opportunity.  Congrats to him.  He obviously does enough right things to earn that opportunity, but I for one think Schmidt had a few too many games where his defense wasn't up to snuff, so I am dearly hoping Bubba nails his DC pick out of the park and gets UND back to being a force of nature on D.

Well, He nailed the OC hire!! 

• Upvote 1

I see "generational shifts" coming in UND coaching in say the next 5 or so years. 

In football, the "Thomas/Lennon/Schweigert" consortium (1980/1990s based) will transition to something more 2000/2010s (DF/BH/JS?). 

I see the same for hockey, moving from 1980s Gino/Blais/Hak/Bubs to more 2000s (KG?) 

19 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Our defense gave up an average of 28.5 points per game and 398 yards per game.  All respect to Schmidt, but should we really be that upset he is leaving? 

I think a large part of that issue was the "Jimmy's and Joe's", not the "X's and O's" on the defense.  Specifically the lack of a dominating nose guard to eat up space and blockers to allow our inside linebackers to make plays.  When we had that in 2016...we were salty!  I personally would like to see us transition to a 4-3 scheme since I believe it's easier to recruit to.  That being said, Bubba is a defensive guy.  I'll defer to his pick as long as we recruit better to the scheme that we are going to be employing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND08 said:

I think a large part of that issue was the "Jimmy's and Joe's", not the "X's and O's" on the defense.  Specifically the lack of a dominating nose guard to eat up space and blockers to allow our inside linebackers to make plays.  When we had that in 2016...we were salty!  I personally would like to see us transition to a 4-3 scheme since I believe it's easier to recruit to.  That being said, Bubba is a defensive guy.  I'll defer to his pick as long as we recruit better to the scheme that we are going to be employing.

Bonus points to any alive the last time UND ran a 4-3 defense :D

52 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'm guessing all the SiouxSports.com "members" of this "band" qualify ( @Oxbow6, @Blackheart, @Sioux-cia @MafiaMan ). :D 

Then again, I believe I qualify as well ... :blush:

@PCMand @Rick? Heck yeah. They were around when pigskin was invented. Not the game. Pigs, with skins. :blink: :D 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Grass is always greener on the other side ...

The people asking for an alignment change are clueless, in my opinion. It’s about the players, not whether you have 3 or 4 down linemen. Now, adjusting the scheme to your players’ strengths is a different story; doesn’t apply here, though. 

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s about the players, not whether you have 3 or 4 down linemen. Now, adjusting the scheme to your players’ strengths is a different story; doesn’t apply here, though. 

It's both: 
- do you have the scheme for the players
- do you have the players for the scheme

To me the question is: What's the right scheme to play in the MVFC and can we get the players for that. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's both: 
- do you have the scheme for the players
- do you have the players for the scheme

To me the question is: What's the right scheme to play in the MVFC and can we get the players for that. 

UND will continue to play a 3-4 defense with Bubba as head coach. It’s his familiarity. 

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

It's all he knows and the only playbook he has, since 1989. Why would he try and run something he has no familiarity with?  

He also got out of his comfort zone and hired Danny as OC, and got up with the times.  I think if he finds somebody who he thinks will be really really good, if that guy's style is 4-3 I think he'd go with it.  Bubba is head coach right, he's not calling the defensive plays.  I get your point though, but I think Bubba would be smart enough to catch on the ways of the 4-3 as long as he isn't the primary implementer of if.  All that said....I could be totally wrong lol 

21 hours ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Part of this is to keep our expectations on here in check. I haven't the slightest idea who I would hire, however, I won't be surprised if it is an internal promotion with a hire of a new defensive assistant. As far as outside hires, I wouldn't be surprised by Dosch or someone else with familiarity to the staff. It is hard to hire someone to be a coordinator that doesn't have a relationship with the current staff. That being said, don't expect a splashy hire.

Our low coaching salary pool certainly plays a factor in why the above is true.  Nobody is leaving a comparable job to come to UND unless they have a relationship with the current staff. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It's all he knows and the only playbook he has, since 1989. Why would he try and run something he has no familiarity with?  

Because what is being done now is not working when you're giving up 28.5 and nearly 400 per. 

Stay in your lane (aka stay with what you know) is #loserthink (courtesy Scott Adams). 

When is it time to add to the knowledge and skill stack? Now. 

38 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Our low coaching salary pool certainly plays a factor in why the above is true.  Nobody is leaving a comparable job to come to UND unless they have a relationship with the current staff. 

Do you have comparative assistant salary pool numbers for SDSU, USD, and UNI?

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Because what is being done now is not working when you're giving up 28.5 and nearly 400 per. 

Stay in your lane (aka stay with what you know) is #loserthink (courtesy Scott Adams). 

When is it time to add to the knowledge and skill stack? Now. 

ok ace.  When we hired Bubba we knew we were getting the 3-4.  End of story.

It works effectively if they have good players.  2015 and 2016 it looked pretty good.  Last two years they didn't have the horses = recruiting.

How many schools actually use the 3-4 defense?? If it works so good why aren't more schools using it? Yes, Schmidts defense has won many games for this team but it has been so inconsistent. Bubba moved on from his crap offense and hired Danny so maybe he'll realize that this defense isn't working either. We will see.....

• Upvote 1

It doesn't matter if we employ a 3-4 or 4-3 defense, both have its strengths and its weaknesses. This is ALL about recruiting. If we want a successful 3-4, we NEED size up front with quick backers that can cover AND hit (think of the great Steelers, Ravens defenses). I'm not sure how well Bubba uses wrinkles in his defense to disguise coverage, overcome mismatches, etc. though.

• Upvote 1