SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Winter Classic

siouxfan512

Watching the Wild pregame and Michael Russo mentioned that a college game will likely be a part of Target Field hosting the winter classic next year, with UND being a likely possibility given how involved the Twins and Dave St. Peter are in making the Winter Classic happen in Minnesota. 

Sounds fun to me!

Thoughts? 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Sightlines will be terrible at a baseball stadium.

Who cares, it would still be a cool experience. Outdoor hockey with a massive UND crowd. I just wonder how they can work that out with scheduling since they already have the Nashville game next year.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Watching the Wild pregame and Michael Russo mentioned that a college game will likely be a part of Target Field hosting the winter classic next year, with UND being a likely possibility given how involved the Twins and Dave St. Peter are in making the Winter Classic happen in Minnesota. 

Sounds fun to me!

Thoughts? 

I'm all for it.  Find a way to get it done. 

Not to be a party pooper, but hard no from me. Been there, done that in Omaha.  Let's not do the Goofers any favors.  Why give up a home game at the best arena in college hockey to play in a baseball stadium.  15,000 plus will travel to any NHL city/rink.  And on New Year's, I hope we are missing guys for World Juniors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

I'm sure the Gophers would love not having to play 2 games at the Ralph next year.

No doubt. Not loving the possibility of UND continuing to use its side of home and home two year series against the Gophers at destination locations, then UND playing at 3M every other year. If played at Winter Classic, that would make what, one home series against gophers since formation of NCHC (could definitely be wrong on this)? With possibility of not extending this series beyond existing contract, that could be one series at the Ralph in >10 years potentially? And I thought Lucia was the one trying to squash this rivalry. :D

For as long as it works, it makes X’s and O’s business sense, but for season ticket holders paying an extreme premium already, it’s a raw deal for many to take the marquis series out consistently and then bank on them also traveling to support a destination series instead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Doesn’t need to be the Gophers. Given that we play them at the Ralph, it likely won’t. NDSU proved you don’t need to play a school from Minneapolis to play a home game in Target Field. I think a game against Michigan would be a better option. Place would a sea of green. Omaha was a blast. This would be even better. Plus the ice would be far better given it is a game in Minnesota and not Nebraska and the NHL is involved in preparing the ice. 

I’m all for it!!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

Went to Omaha. Visit was fun. But I'll never go to an outdoor game ever again. Worst game I've watched live in 40 YEARS of watching hockey

Amen. If u enjoy watching a game on the big screen with 70,000 other people, outdoor games are for u. U can’t see anything live from ur seats. No thanks!

• Upvote 4