SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Winter Classic

siouxfan512

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

Amen. If u enjoy watching a game on the big screen with 70,000 other people, outdoor games are for u. U can’t see anything live from ur seats. No thanks!

It’s not a game as much as it is an event.

• Upvote 1

My coffee induced crackpot conspiracy theory, it may be more far fetched than a volley of teams future D1FBS plans but here goes:

It took a LOOOONG time to finalize the nashville thing right...

Maybe the winter classic situation was up in the air too and UND/REA UMtc NHL MNTwins President ..... where all trying to find a way to make it all work out. 

Its a big ask for any fan base and season ticket holders to have 2 destination games in the same seaaon 

---- plus the frozen four trip, of course-----

maybe there was a possibilty to push Nashville a year, do the Winter classic, rework the UMtc series and make it all work ot to not shortchange the season ticket holders, add another big exposure event and do it all.

Whos knows probably not at all the case.... 

It would be awesome to be a part of the winter classic events but the timing and other games and factors sure seem to be against it at this point.

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

My coffee induced crackpot conspiracy theory, it may be more far fetched than a volley of teams future D1FBS plans but here goes:

Maybe the winter classic situation was up in the air too and UND/REA UMtc NHL MNTwins President ..... where all trying to find a way to make it all work out. 

Its a big ask for any fan base and season ticket holders to have 2 destination games in the same seaaon 

maybe there was a possibilty to push Nashville a year, do the Winter classic, rework the UMtc series and make it all work ot to not shortchange the season ticket holders, add another big exposure event and do it all.

It would be awesome to be a part of the winter classic events but the timing and other games and factors sure seem to be against it at this point.

*Hands @Frozen4sioux a tinfoil hat* ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I have a hard time believing UND would allow this to hold up the Nashville event, given that MN only found out within the last week that they had the Winter Classic.

I still think that if there is a way to get it done and be a part of the winter classic, you do it. It would be pretty cool for the winter classic to have the defending national champs playing at Target Field ;)

25 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I have a hard time believing UND would allow this to hold up the Nashville event, given that MN only found out within the last week that they had the Winter Classic.

I still think that if there is a way to get it done and be a part of the winter classic, you do it. It would be pretty cool for the winter classic to have the defending national champs playing at Target Field ;)

The hold up for Nashville was 100% on the venue's end. 

It would take some creative scheduling, not sure who's on the schedule and what teams would be willing to move a game, which would likely require splitting up a series. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The hold up for Nashville was 100% on the venue's end. 

It would take some creative scheduling, not sure who's on the schedule and what teams would be willing to move a game, which would likely require splitting up a series. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4471148-List-of-UND-hockey-future-nonconference-opponents-NCAA-hockey-regional-sites-and-Frozen-Fours

As per Schloss, our non conference opponents for 2020-2021 are:

vs. Penn State in Nashville (Hall of Fame Game), single game, Oct. 17.

vs. Minnesota

vs./at Bemidji State

at Cornell

vs. Niagara

Could play one of the Bemidji games at Target Field and I guess determine if the other game is in Grand Forks or Bemidji.  To me that is the best option.  Not sure how many Bemidji fans would travel to Minneapolis, but certainly more than any other opponent.

Writing an article on this, but I honestly think after seeing Huntsville and Talking to Coach Corbett, that this platform would be better for the Chargers to play a WCHA game against an MN school. If we want to grow college hockey and I think we do, let's promote the school who has a coach that fundraises and has built a community of fans in college hockey's southeastern most d1 school. 

17 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

UND doesn't even get that from home games at REA.

Who pays for the Alerus rent?
Does The Ralph pay GF city for the rent out of the 52%?
Does The Ralph gives back to UND at the end of each year more than the 52%?

12 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4471148-List-of-UND-hockey-future-nonconference-opponents-NCAA-hockey-regional-sites-and-Frozen-Fours

As per Schloss, our non conference opponents for 2020-2021 are:

vs. Penn State in Nashville (Hall of Fame Game), single game, Oct. 17.

vs. Minnesota

vs./at Bemidji State

at Cornell

vs. Niagara

Could play one of the Bemidji games at Target Field and I guess determine if the other game is in Grand Forks or Bemidji.  To me that is the best option.  Not sure how many Bemidji fans would travel to Minneapolis, but certainly more than any other opponent.

Why don't we try scheduling a home and home with N. Michigan?
Coach Potulny is from Red River, grew up in GF. His dad a letterman from UND and lives in GF.

9 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

Here is my article on the Winter Classic: I think using it to promote different markets playing teams in the Classic's area  is worth considering. Give it a read! https://seamoresports.com/2020/01/06/bring-the-chargers-to-the-winter-classic-a-few-reasons-why/

Well written as always, and I completely appreciate the sentiment of throwing a hard working program into consideration. I'm just not sure who would show up to Target Field to watch Bemidji and Huntsville. 

Those who organize the Winter Classic will be wanting their stadium full, so I would be very surprised to see anyone take this approach, though like you said, it is somewhat of a story made for Netflix.

UND would without a doubt draw the biggest crowd in the region, followed probably by UMD. I'm not sure if teams have the ability to buy out their non conference games like in football, but buying out a game would be something to consider, if it meant setting up a game like this against Michigan or Wisconsin (Both would be fantastic), or even an East coast team. There would be no issue in setting something like this up if not for the Nashville game already being on the schedule.

Personally, I think UND and Bemidji would be the most likely; but who would give up the home game? Regardless, this gives you a Minnesota team, it gives you a large fan base, and it give both teams additional exposure.

I said it before, defending national champs at the Winter Classic ... would be cool :wink:

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Well written as always, and I completely appreciate the sentiment of throwing a hard working program into consideration. I'm just not sure who would show up to Target Field to watch Bemidji and Huntsville. 

Those who organize the Winter Classic will be wanting their stadium full, so I would be very surprised to see anyone take this approach, though like you said, it is somewhat of a story made for Netflix.

UND would without a doubt draw the biggest crowd in the region, followed probably by UMD. I'm not sure if teams have the ability to buy out their non conference games like in football, but buying out a game would be something to consider, if it meant setting up a game like this against Michigan or Wisconsin (Both would be fantastic), or even an East coast team. There would be no issue in setting something like this up if not for the Nashville game already being on the schedule.

Personally, I think UND and Bemidji would be the most likely; but who would give up the home game? Regardless, this gives you a Minnesota team, it gives you a large fan base, and it give both teams additional exposure.

I said it before, defending national champs at the Winter Classic ... would be cool :wink:

UMD Huntsville maybe? If you think UMD can sell the place out and if Huntsville and UMD have room on the schedule maybe a two game series at Amsoil and the Winter Classic? 1/1 is on a Friday and I think UMD could sell the place out alone. go 1-1 and then 1-2 or 1-3 in Amsoil depending on schedule. Also thanks for the compliment! 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

If there is going to be a college game at Target Field, UND will be playing.  There is no other fan base that travels as well as UND fans.  No chance UMD would fill even half the stadium,  Look at the Regional in Fargo a couple years ago.  Look at the Frozen Faceoff.  Heck, look at their home games.  Bulldog fans aren't coming out in droves and traveling to games now.  A UMD/UAH game at Target Field would be a disaster for attendance.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If there is going to be a college game at Target Field, UND will be playing.  There is no other fan base that travels as well as UND fans.  No chance UMD would fill even half the stadium,  Look at the Regional in Fargo a couple years ago.  Look at the Frozen Faceoff.  Heck, look at their home games.  Bulldog fans aren't coming out in droves and traveling to games now.  A UMD/UAH game at Target Field would be a disaster for attendance.

Agreed, I think UMD's fan base could compliment UND's attendance, especially with a Mpls presence, but not by themselves. UND and just about anyone else would work.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:18 PM, WiSioux said:

Sightlines will be terrible at a baseball stadium.

according the article I read on the Athletic website it says this about sightlines and seating.... "Normally when NHL outdoor games take place at baseball stadiums, the rink sits from third base to first base horizontally covering second base starting above the pitcher’s mound. But this will be the 11th outdoor game played at a baseball stadium. The NHL is considering changing the rink configuration up next year and that could lead to auxiliary seating in the outfield. Target Field also has the ability to do a lot of standing-room only spots, so it’s up in the air how much they’ll be able to sell.

hopefully this will add more seats with more of a traditional hockey view...who knows

UND would have to move a home game to Target and it would still be a home game.

Perhaps a Gopher-Badger game could be moved to that slot, but that’s about it for any college game that fills Target.

What’s the difference between a Target game and the Frozen Faceoff in Excel for fan expenses?

37 minutes ago, sethhag said:

according the article I read on the Athletic website it says this about sightlines and seating.... "Normally when NHL outdoor games take place at baseball stadiums, the rink sits from third base to first base horizontally covering second base starting above the pitcher’s mound. But this will be the 11th outdoor game played at a baseball stadium. The NHL is considering changing the rink configuration up next year and that could lead to auxiliary seating in the outfield. Target Field also has the ability to do a lot of standing-room only spots, so it’s up in the air how much they’ll be able to sell.

hopefully this will add more seats with more of a traditional hockey view...who knows

I wonder what ability Target Field has that others wouldn't to accommodate standing-room only.  It's a baseball field.  Should be lots of standing room.