SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I won’t hold my breath. Not a good track record (pun intended) under Baukol.

I agree it is a “huge” off-season, though, for o-line and d-line. 

This, in my mind, illustrates perhaps the biggest weakness of our program - the apparent inability to properly evaluate coaches and systems and make meaningful changes.  See 5 years of Rudy.  Rudy didn't change one iota, was allowed to go on for 5 years, and if anything became more "Rudylike" as the years went by.  Someone in charge needs to talk to Baukol about maybe going away from the "powerlifting for all" philosophy and perhaps adapt a position specific workout program according to agreed upon goals (you know, like almost all top programs do) - and while we're at it let's talk a bit about nutrition.  Perhaps Chaves is the difference maker here as we are finally Rudy free.  Strength and Conditioning needs to join the 21st century.  I think if we could evaluate and make changes throughout the program there would be a lot less fan frustration - much of it now is focused on things that just don't seem to change.  And as long as we are taking this radical approach about looking at new things let's talk about the 3-4 defense and how it works without the 3 being physically able to tie up the O linemen.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Irish said:

This, in my mind, illustrates perhaps the biggest weakness of our program - the apparent inability to properly evaluate coaches and systems and make meaningful changes.  See 5 years of Rudy.  Rudy didn't change one iota, was allowed to go on for 5 years, and if anything became more "Rudylike" as the years went by.  Someone in charge needs to talk to Baukol about maybe going away from the "powerlifting for all" philosophy and perhaps adapt a position specific workout program according to agreed upon goals (you know, like almost all top programs do) - and while we're at it let's talk a bit about nutrition.  Perhaps Chaves is the difference maker here as we are finally Rudy free.  Strength and Conditioning needs to join the 21st century.  I think if we could evaluate and make changes throughout the program there would be a lot less fan frustration - much of it now is focused on things that just don't seem to change.  And as long as we are taking this radical approach about looking at new things let's talk about the 3-4 defense and how it works without the 3 being physically able to tie up the O linemen.  

What does 21st century strength and conditioning entail?

58 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What does 21st century strength and conditioning entail?

That's your take-away from my post?  I used it as a generalization - but it doesn't entail powerlifting for everyone regardless of position. In my mind a 21st century strength and conditioning program is constantly evaluating its program and results and incorporating new ideas as they fit.  It is flexible as new ideas come into play and new athletes come into the system and it adapts to different needs both by position and individual athlete.   I am not saying that there is one "modern approach", I am saying that we need to be able to evaluate and change as necessary.  It certainly involves nutrition and motivation.  Tom Brady has very different conditioning needs than Julian Edelman or offensive tackle Marcus Cannon.  I am advocating for looking at results and making changes as necessary - and although that idea isn't unique to the 21st century it needs to be applied to our program.  I am not the only poster that thinks our Strength and Conditioning needs an upgrade.  My overall post was that we need the ability to make changes when needed and I used Strength and Conditioning as one example.  

15 minutes ago, Irish said:

That's your take-away from my post?  I used it as a generalization - but it doesn't entail powerlifting for everyone regardless of position. In my mind a 21st century strength and conditioning program is constantly evaluating its program and results and incorporating new ideas as they fit.  It is flexible as new ideas come into play and new athletes come into the system and it adapts to different needs both by position and individual athlete.   I am not saying that there is one "modern approach", I am saying that we need to be able to evaluate and change as necessary.  It certainly involves nutrition and motivation.  Tom Brady has very different conditioning needs than Julian Edelman or offensive tackle Marcus Cannon.  I am advocating for looking at results and making changes as necessary - and although that idea isn't unique to the 21st century it needs to be applied to our program.  I am not the only poster that thinks our Strength and Conditioning needs an upgrade.  My overall post was that we need the ability to make changes when needed and I used Strength and Conditioning as one example.  

The conditioning needs of NFL and college athletes are VERY different. College players, especially FCS need to be built up. That requires lifting heavy. All top SC programs have players doing heavy explosive lifts because that’s the only proven way to get what they need, speed and strength. It’s pretty standard to do a lot of some clean variation for all players. 

35 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The conditioning needs of NFL and college athletes are VERY different. College players, especially FCS need to be built up. That requires lifting heavy. All top SC programs have players doing heavy explosive lifts because that’s the only proven way to get what they need, speed and strength. It’s pretty standard to do a lot of some clean variation for all players. 

This guy had pretty much the opposite philosophy as Baukol, it seems.   Good article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1739903-how-to-build-a-bully-inside-the-stanford-football-strength-program

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That's why I said we need to adjust our program to the individual and situation - I am not saying no heavy explosive lifts, I am saying we need to be able to make changes when necessary and tailor more to individual needs - and upgrade our nutrition.  My bigger point was that honest evaluation and being flexible enough to change if needed seems to be hard for our program - that's why we had Rudy for 5 years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

This guy had pretty much the opposite philosophy as Baukol, it seems.   Good article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1739903-how-to-build-a-bully-inside-the-stanford-football-strength-program

This is the comprehensive program we need. Too many of us base our opinions on the height and weight listed in the program. There is so much more to achieving success on the FB field than putting on weight. Looks great on paper. This program starts with prevention of injuries and then a customized program for each athlete to improve their chance of success based on their position and responsibilities. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

This is the comprehensive program we need. Too many of us base our opinions on the height and weight listed in the program. There is so much more to achieving success on the FB field than putting on weight. Looks great on paper. This program starts with prevention of injuries and then a customized program for each athlete to improve their chance of success based on their position and responsibilities. 

Ours is about the opposite of customized for each player or even position group.  

• Upvote 1

Here are three things I'm going to really key in on going into the 2020 season.

1. Lines - I like most do buy into the philosophy that it all starts on the lines. I also buy into strength in numbers. UND only loses two players total, key players, yes, but that is as low of a number as you'll get. I don't think there's any doubt that both will improve, but the key is by how much.
    • O-line: Great in pass blocking, not with run blocking. A lot has been made about the weight loss experiment going into last year. Having a year under the new O-line coaches belt, there's no doubt he'll be tweaking his formula. Miller's early starters go JR, SR, SR, SO, SO. 
    • D-line: This is really where the strength in numbers is key. This group last year was so young / inexperienced. The very talented Freshman class will now have their first off season, what's exciting like the O-line is when you return so much and especially with the D-line so much youth, it's a numbers game. You now have a baseline, there will only be improvement. There will be a lot of competition for the two-deep and the overall play should greatly improve.
  2.  LB - Both LB groups are my #1 and #2 concern going into next year. Moving Shannon and the pick up of Krzanowski and Bohenkamp have helped with the depth, but I don't know enough about the youth to be comfortable. Obviously we feel good about Larson and Turner. Is White as a Sophomore a legitimate starting ILB? Who else is ready to compete for a starting / 2-deep spot? 
  3. QB - This might be the only position where not knowing is actually pretty exciting. It's exciting and crucial that both Neal and Vaughn will be on campus in January to start the competition with Schuster. Is it finally time where UND has "that guy". 

Some other quick notes. When will they know if Weah if eligible? He's definitely an X-factor. Secondary will be strength. Love the talent / depth. Also, like the schedule. Two winnable non-conference games with an FBS pay day. Like the way the home / away are set up as well. One example is as much as I can't wait to play NDSU at home, it's probably (looking at W's / L's), a good team to play on the road. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

A friend of mine is involved in the gameday meetings and has said the topic of moving the student section is being discussed.  The lack of student attendance has not gone unnoticed by the powers that be.  Hopefully they can get something figured out for next fall!

Good!!  Long overdue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Good!!  Long overdue. 

Well I can put those home games on my calendar... for sure! Is the cost based on the number of games? What do the season tickets run? When do they go on sale? I am on a fixed income now so I have to budget.

You know, I announced for wrestling in high school and both youth and high school hockey. Maybe I should apply for a job! They didn’t want me to sew a hawk..... just saying....

I would LOVE to put some spice in that announcer’s booth!! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2019 at 7:31 AM, MadScout03 said:

A friend of mine is involved in the gameday meetings and has said the topic of moving the student section is being discussed.  The lack of student attendance has not gone unnoticed by the powers that be.  Hopefully they can get something figured out for next fall!

In my opinion (which is not worth a damn), the potential decision to move the students has an overwhelming amount of evidence in support of it. First and foremost, the student attendance has not been good enough. There are several other points in support for student section relocation, including the precedent set by nearly every other FBS and FCS football venue in the country. 

Lets hope they have some ideas on how they can fix it moving forward, outside of moving the student section. 

Hopefully they understand that it's not just the lack of student attendance, but also where ALL other area Div I teams have their FB student sections by the end zone.
I posted all the teams' (in 4 state area ) seating charts with students' sections pointed out in the FB Attendance tread a couple months ago.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Has UND ever done helmet stickers like Ohio State or Clemson? Would be kind of cool I think. 

We had these in the early 80's.   They were given out for offense, defense and special teams players of the game.  I don't know if we were allowed to put them on our helmets or not which kind of defeats the purpose of helmet stickers.

48432577_UNDhelmetsticker2.thumb.jpg.4c8c3429d4ee4c9d79362aca87b6ede0.jpg