SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

Lets talk QB for next season. A lot yet to be decided. But initial thoughts ... who get's to start the season?

Tommy Schuster 5' 11/192lbs

Reid Neal 6' 2/175lbs

Quincy Vaughn 6'4/230lbs

We all saw what Tommy did against SHSU, which was critical. Seemed calm, collected, and got the job done. I don't think the coaches really opened up the playbook with him, and its not a large enough, or impressive enough sample size to say, "This is the guy". That being said, he has the most experience with the program and the offense, so he certainly has a chance.

From what I have read, Reid seems to have had a good prep career, but I don't really know much about him. I would like to see him put on some weight.

Then there is Vaughn. To me, this is the shiny new toy, and I am excited to see what he can do. Lots of hype around the kid, certainly has the size and athletic ability. Just hope he can be a true difference maker. I don't care about a redshirt here, so long as he can be an immediate impact. I could see him being the day 1 starter; certainly beneficial that both him and Neal are on campus already.

Or will the coaches bring in a transfer or drop down. Time will tell, but it is nice to have some young talent in the QB position to get excited about.

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Lets talk QB for next season. A lot yet to be decided. But initial thoughts ... who get's to start the season?

Tommy Schuster 5' 11/192lbs

Reid Neal 6' 2/175lbs

Quincy Vaughn 6'4/230lbs

We all saw what Tommy did against SHSU, which was critical. Seemed calm, collected, and got the job done. I don't think the coaches really opened up the playbook with him, and its not a large enough, or impressive enough sample size to say, "This is the guy". That being said, he has the most experience with the program and the offense, so he certainly has a chance.

From what I have read, Reid seems to have had a good prep career, but I don't really know much about him. I would like to see him put on some weight.

Then there is Vaughn. To me, this is the shiny new toy, and I am excited to see what he can do. Lots of hype around the kid, certainly has the size and athletic ability. Just hope he can be a true difference maker. I don't care about a redshirt here, so long as he can be an immediate impact. I could see him being the day 1 starter; certainly beneficial that both him and Neal are on campus already.

Or will the coaches bring in a transfer or drop down. Time will tell, but it is nice to have some young talent in the QB position to get excited about.

I think it's wide open!  Let's see them compete.  On paper, it looks like there will be great depth at the position, which is so important.

10 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

It’s gonna be Schuster. He’s got “it.”  

I agree that Schuster did a good job when he came in against SHSU and was very poised for a true freshman. 

I realize it is a very small sample size but his game stats don't stand out when compared to our other QBs last year.   Both Ket and Zim had higher QB ratings and completion %.

In my mind he has an advantage based on his time in the program and the word is he was great in practice but I don't think he is a lock based on last year.

image.png.e04b43ca8e4b5e92855e2f448d507ea2.png

12 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I agree that Schuster did a good job when he came in against SHSU and was very poised for a true freshman. 

I realize it is a very small sample size but his game stats don't stand out when compared to our other QBs last year.   Both Ket and Zim had higher QB ratings and completion %.

In my mind he has an advantage based on his time in the program and the word is he was great in practice but I don't think he is a lock based on last year.

image.png.e04b43ca8e4b5e92855e2f448d507ea2.png

All in all, I think in the end they will bring in a JUCO or Grad Transfer to be the starter. If that isn't the case, even though they are young, it still isn't a terrible situation. Competition is always a good thing and there hasn't always been a ton of competition at that position in the past.

34 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

All in all, I think in the end they will bring in a JUCO or Grad Transfer to be the starter. If that isn't the case, even though they are young, it still isn't a terrible situation. Competition is always a good thing and there hasn't always been a ton of competition at that position in the past.

Our last Grad transfer QB worked out pretty good!!

58 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

That’ll happen after spring ball.

This isn’t an ideal situation with two true freshmen and one red shirt freshmen as our choices. Boltman will see time in wildcat and I’m guessing Shuster will win out. I really liked his high school film and wasn’t upset with his time last year. I hope we can run the ball or else it might be a long year. 

Think it possible that with the young QB's and boltmans success, that he could see many more snaps under center?  Like 15% - 20% of snaps under center and they have him actually throw the ball?  At some point, if he took too many snaps, it could turn into having two QB's and nobody would want that I suppose. 

49 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Think it possible that with the young QB's and boltmans success, that he could see many more snaps under center?  Like 15% - 20% of snaps under center and they have him actually throw the ball?  At some point, if he took too many snaps, it could turn into having two QB's and nobody would want that I suppose. 

My guess is that number might be high, but with the youth at QB and athleticisim BB has shown, it makes a ton of sense to install more packages for him that they can mix into normal play calling.

Having all 3 QB's in school right now and be able to participate in spring ball is absolutely huge for the offense. Sounds like all 3 have the right attitude going into it and it is truly an open competition. They are each slightly different QB's, so that makes the whole thing even more intriguing. Obviously there is a general idea of what they have on campus but it is going to take at least through spring ball to figure out what they have with the two new guys.

Disclaimer: My thought process is unfair to Schuster. He performed admirably against SHSU and I don't even know close enough to judge, which I'm about to do. 

I look at Schuster as a Studsrud. Steady, Effective, slightly above average. I have my fingers crossed that it's either Neal or Vaughn out of Fall Camp (particularly Vaughn). Why? If they are better than Schuster, then I think there's real potential they have "the guy". Especially if one of the true-freshman really take over before the season. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Disclaimer: My thought process is unfair to Schuster. He performed admirably against SHSU and I don't even know close enough to judge, which I'm about to do. 

I look at Schuster as a Studsrud. Steady, Effective, slightly above average. I have my fingers crossed that it's either Neal or Vaughn out of Fall Camp (particularly Vaughn). Why? If they are better than Schuster, then I think there's real potential they have "the guy". Especially if one of the true-freshman really take over before the season. 

Probably also need to take into account that in Schuster's limited action, he had the same limitations the handcuffed Studrud a lot of his career: If he went down, they were really in trouble with no one to come in, so the play calling was done with that in mind. I think with 3 (hopefully) viable options, play calling will be wide open and the QB will be able to make more plays out of the pocket and with their legs.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, The Sicatoka said:

One more thought:

Other schools don't fret about having underclassmen (freshmen, sophomores) step onto the field as 1's or 2's. 

Why do we have this mindset that a QB (or other position) isn't ready until they are an upperclassman? 

It's about the player and their readiness, and not some letters in the "Class" column of the roster. 

Yes to this.

The best player in FCS is a freshman QB. 

Why can't UND have a great Frosh QB?

On 1/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, Ozzie82 said:

It’s gonna be Schuster. He’s got “it.”  

He might, just not sure what you base that off of? One very limited game? Don’t get me wrong, he made the most of his opportunity, but there were a lot of safe plays in that game too.

he could very well be the guy, BUT given there is 1 partial college game between all 3 of them, I think it is wide open.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

It's really embarrassing UND puts that out. 

Or they did something to give acknowledgement to players who were deserving and didn't have an outlet to recieve recognition for their play by no fault of their own? 

They took a pool of local (GF/Fargo) and national media and asked them where they would have put players if UND had been in a conference. UND didn't make the votes, they just took some effort to organize and promote some of the players. What a terrible thing to do. :silly:

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Or they did something to give acknowledgement to players who were deserving and didn't have an outlet to recieve recognition for their play by no fault of their own? 

They took a pool of local (GF/Fargo) and national media and asked them where they would have put players if UND had been in a conference. UND didn't make the votes, they just took some effort to organize and promote some of the players. What a terrible thing to do:silly:

Not terrible by any means, but definitely embarrassing. So are you saying that if UND would have been in a conference McKinney would have been 2nd team? Wasn't he the 3rd best RB on the team? Not something to get an argument about and I knew better than to say anything, but oh well. 

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They took a pool of local (GF/Fargo) and national media and asked them where they would have put players if UND had been in a conference. UND didn't make the votes, they just took some effort to organize and promote some of the players. What a terrible thing to do. :silly:

i get it but it was pretty lame, considering how they worded it.  There was no competition of than a few teammates.

• Upvote 2