SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

Analytics says that 'establishing the run' is generally counter productive.  Teams that are successful should call plays with the highest probability of scoring, each time.  

Play action is as successful on teams that do not run the ball well as it is on 'rushing' teams. 

9 hours ago, oldSioux said:

I would agree that a teams ability to air it out from time to time is effective, but the reality is you need to establish the run to throw the ball. UND was unable to establish a run game to any degree. I think we have threats who can go get the ball but you need a well thrown ball to give them a chance and that wasn't a product we were able to produce  much at all because of what we lack in multiple areas across the line and run game. If you want to be successful and make the playoffs don't worry about the pass game, play off teams are built around size and running the ball. (NDSU, Weber, MSU, Austin Peay (to an extent)). Montana does have a good pass game but they are able to establish the run and have a punishing defense. Don't know too much about what makes JMU click but ill tell ya what, they have a killer line and rushed for 3300 yards or something, comparatively we ran for 1400 and passed for 3100. Apples and Oranges maybe, but just my two cents... or maybe a dollar at this rate.

Wanna know what helps the run game more than anything other than a good OL? A deep threat that requires a safety over the top constantly. That opens everything up for everyone else.

56 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

It was kind of crazy how all of the sudden we had downfield threats when Zimmerman was throwing the ball.....

UND has deep ball guys, MAAG is FAST, Brock is FAST, and they offer good parody in style. I agree some accuracy and time would open the offense up. But other than leach and WAZZU's Air it out offense, I cant think of a team that doesn't try establishing the run to win games. 

Want to win? Run the ball successfully,  keep third downs short on offense, win the T.O.P and turn over battle. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:45 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

My take on UND receivers, since that is apparently a hot topic:

Noah Wanzek and Travis Toivonen were both very good receivers for UND over their career. Consistent and dependable, and as a result, put up big career numbers. It says something to always be available for the team. 

Yes, there were some negatives, mainly in terms of downfield speed. Wanzek and Toivonen likely won't be professional players, like Weston Dressler.

In terms of pure ability, Weston Dressler was the better player. Unfortunately, in these dark times, players like Weston Dressler in North Dakota undoubtedly go to NDSU rather than UND now. 

Chrysten Cochran will have to be the guy next year to take the big step up, along with Garrett Maag. Brock Boltmann needs to continue to grow in the slot position role and become more specialized in that position.  Those are the 3 receivers that I see big play potential from in 2020.

The rest of the group (Mikey Griebel, Jacob Odom, Adam Zavalney) will have to continue to develop as they will have situational roles on the team. 

Again, as is the case for the entire roster, UND needs to look to increase the talent level at receiver. That happens in recruiting, of course. For this recruiting cycle,  Bo Belquist, Marcus Preston, and Jack Wright all look to be capable players for UND. Have to wait until they are on campus before a clear idea of their ceiling develops. 

I was really hoping Mikey Griebel was going to come in and make a splash the minute he got here, and we just haven't seen much from him yet. I know he has had some injuries along the way which hasn't helped either. Hoping that as some people graduate, and he develops that he can become more of an impact player, I still feel like if you can get the kid the ball he has some speed and shiftiness to make plays.

Certainly excited for Jack Wright too; really hope his game can translate to the next level.

Biggest factor for next year has got to be QB though. I liked what I saw from Schuster, but nobody can predict what he will be based on 1 game. We need to add a bunch of depth, Bubba and Danny need to be hitting that position hard, and not just for the future, for the now.

RB depth is a concern too. Skokna is only going to get better if he stays health, and Creighton Mitchell is the new shiny toy I'm excited to see on the field. What we are missing is a big boy that can run... any more moose up in Manitoba?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We didn’t have a true deep threat. Having one of those opens up a whole world of possibilities for an offense.

What are you typically looking for when you say a deep threat? Just speed and hands? Or do you think we need speed, hands and height to fight for the deep jump balls? I know I've seen you mention Greg Hardin, so I assume someone of a similar mold. He wasn't overly tall, was he?

Could anyone tell me why we still seem to under utilize the TE position? We seemed to throw to them a bit more this year with Rudy gone, but still not as much as we could have. I would have those they would mix those big guys in more often, especially in like 3rd and short situations. 

Do the coaches just not like those types of plays?

Do our TEs have issues catching the ball?

Was our OL just requiring the blocking help?

Just curious for some input. If I recall Riviere was a pretty nice get when he committed, can he become another receiving threat?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Could anyone tell me why we still seem to under utilize the TE position? We seemed to throw to them a bit more this year with Rudy gone, but still not as much as we could have. I would have those they would mix those big guys in more often, especially in like 3rd and short situations. 

Do the coaches just not like those types of plays?

Do our TEs have issues catching the ball?

Was our OL just requiring the blocking help?

Just curious for some input. If I recall Riviere was a pretty nice get when he committed, can he become another receiving threat?

For the TE's you also have to look at the QB. TE can be an eligible route but it requires the QB to actually look at them. 

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You and your obsession with deep speed.  Those same guys (2019 WR) would be wide open several times per game if we had a running game.

Remember when Clive George’s started playing in 2015? We had a good OL that year. Remember how clogged up things would get because they didn’t have to worry about anything over the top? Remember how all of a sudden our offense was unstoppable when he started popping the top off? I member.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I was really hoping Mikey Griebel was going to come in and make a splash the minute he got here, and we just haven't seen much from him yet. I know he has had some injuries along the way which hasn't helped either. Hoping that as some people graduate, and he develops that he can become more of an impact player, I still feel like if you can get the kid the ball he has some speed and shiftiness to make plays.

Certainly excited for Jack Wright too; really hope his game can translate to the next level.

Biggest factor for next year has got to be QB though. I liked what I saw from Schuster, but nobody can predict what he will be based on 1 game. We need to add a bunch of depth, Bubba and Danny need to be hitting that position hard, and not just for the future, for the now.

RB depth is a concern too. Skokna is only going to get better if he stays health, and Creighton Mitchell is the new shiny toy I'm excited to see on the field. What we are missing is a big boy that can run... any more moose up in Manitoba?

If eligible, hoping the flashes OW was showing in 2018 will re-emerge in 2020 as a tough, fast bowling ball.

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

What are you typically looking for when you say a deep threat? Just speed and hands? Or do you think we need speed, hands and height to fight for the deep jump balls? I know I've seen you mention Greg Hardin, so I assume someone of a similar mold. He wasn't overly tall, was he?

Greg was like 5’10”. You don’t need to be all that tall to be a deep threat, it’s a nice bonus but yea, hands and speed. If McKinney had reliable hands he would be just fine for that role.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, UND1983 said:

You and your obsession with deep speed.  Those same guys (2019 WR) would be wide open several times per game if we had a running game.

A running game helps to get players open that have a hard time doing it on their own.  I would love to have a guy that can 'beat' 1 on 1 consistently, and I don't mean on a jump or contested ball.   Elite speed at WR is deadly.......I should know, I gave up 3 TDs in 1 game to a guy that played on Sundays.:sad:

16 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

A running game helps to get players open that have a hard time doing it on their own.  I would love to have a guy that can 'beat' 1 on 1 consistently, and I don't mean on a jump or contested ball.   Elite speed at WR is deadly.......I should know, I gave up 3 TDs in 1 game to a guy that played on Sundays.:sad:

AD41FFCF-456A-461C-82B5-7AA47969D8A2.gif

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Let the staff know where all these speed merchants are, would help solve the problem rather quickly.

I think they've tried, but too many misses.  I think Izzy and McKinnon and before that the straight up and down runner(I foget his name) that got knocked out against Poly.  So 2 complete misses but McKinnon could still pay-off huge as an RB/Slash type threat.

Clive was the last deep threat we've had.....and that's too long ago.