SiouxSports.com Forum

Nicholls State game day,

Nodak78

2 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Probably not, but I really think we got hosed on the "Non-Targeting" penalty.  For as many times as they showed it on replay, I have a hard time understanding how it wasn't targeting.  Sure, Kett lowered his head, but the defender popped square in the end with crown of his helmet.  Hit him so hard that Kett's helmet went flying!  I'm sure that pissed Kett off, (it would piss me off).  He would never have gotten flagged if the ref wasn't two feet away to clearly hear whatever he said.  I'm sure alot worse things are said on the field that go unheard and unflagged.

I wonder if the call on Kett was partially because the officials had had enough and Nate was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

to me I didn’t see it as targeting. How much lower could the defender get before he was eating shoe laces and turf?

7 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Nicholls ran the ball up the middle all day without being stopped, both with and against the wind. You would think UND might at least make some changes when Nicholls was going into the wind. 

I can’t blame the missed catches or Ketts fumble on coaching, but pretty much everything else I can. Not adjusting, poor clock management, punting with 6 minutes left. I was shocked when he did that. Two play later Nicholls was right back where UND was when they punted. 

I also got a taste of the reason that I have watched less football over the last five years. The arrogance and attitude of the players on the field.  Not really the UND players, but the Nicholls State players. It carries over tho the fans in the stands. That really turns me off from watching football. 

I can't understand why they didn't stack the box against Nicholls.  It was obvious early on what they wanted to do, and it was obvious we couldn't defend it with the original game plan.  More of the same in the second half with no adjustments.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fry Bread said:

I wonder if the call on Kett was partially because the officials had had enough and Nate was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

to me I didn’t see it as targeting. How much lower could the defender get before he was eating shoe laces and turf?

I thought it was clearly targeting, he led with the very crown of his helmet, a direct head shot our QB.  I understand it is a very subjective call though, and our QB certainly wasn't a "defenseless" player in that case.  It was definitely helmet to helmet contact though, and the defender led with his.

5 minutes ago, ClassB said:

I think we can chalk up half of Ketts fumble and the dropped passes to coaching.

I felt Kett's fumble was all on Johannesson.  It looked like an RPO play, Kett kept it, and JJ couldn't get out of the defender's way fast enough.  If JJ makes a block the fumble doesn't occur.

2 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I thought it was clearly targeting, he led with the very crown of his helmet, a direct head shot our QB.  I understand it is a very subjective call though, and our QB certainly wasn't a "defenseless" player in that case.  It was definitely helmet to helmet contact though, and the defender led with his.

Yes it was helmet to helmet. Nate lowered his head for impact and the defender lowered his head for the tackle 

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I can't understand why they didn't stack the box against Nicholls.  It was obvious early on what they wanted to do, and it was obvious we couldn't defend it with the original game plan.  More of the same in the second half with no adjustments.

Nicholls was something like 14 of 16 in passing.  

48 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

The announcer called it out a thousand times.  We had our six vs. their seven the entire game.  Wtf Schmidt.

2 hours ago, Sioux90 said:

NDSU wins championships, and North Dakota gets laughed out of Louisiana.

NDSU is going to fricken destroy that team....destroy.  Thankfully the hockey team just swept the goofs or I'd be in a really really bad mood.

How do you get smoked, make a ton of poor coaching decisions, and then have the backing of the AD?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Asked about punting on 4th and 6 with 6 minutes to go and down two scores Bubba replied "little too long of yardage........As I look back, we should've gone for it".

Not going for it was Bubba 2nd biggest regret this fall.......his biggest regret was not selling his pumpkin futures before Halloween.  

1 hour ago, SKOLSioux said:

Well, thankfully, I don’t have to hear of or see Kett again. What an emotionally unstable QB. Also lacks talent. Geese, thanks for graduating!!!

Bubba is living in the 90’s trying to catch 2019 style. Sick of his old man ways of thinking, lack of emotion, and blatant inconsistencies. Always looks like he’s holding in a fart on the sidelines while trying to calm Kett from a stupid play. Just done with it!!!

Moving forward, need to get bigger, faster, and stronger on OL and DL. It begins in the trenches. If we have any desire to be competitive in the Valley, we need to beef up, run the ball effectively, and play sound and smart defense. 

Furthermore, Bubba needs to go. He’s probably the nicest guy you’ll ever meet, but I want a head coach with a cut throat mentality. Not muss, but, balanced, energetic, and KNOWS HOW TO COACH FOOTBALL!!!!! (And can recruit). 

Finally, Can we just get on track??? only time will tell. At the end of the day, we will prevail, we will fight, and we will overcome adversity. God bless the University of North Dakota, and, God bless the FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

isn't this where Oxbow comes in with a funny gif of Howard Dean going....YYYYAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

and PS it's the Fighting HAWKS boomer!:-o

2 hours ago, Fry Bread said:

At least with Richmond it felt like the team was a potential championship caliber team for a little over half the game. 

No doubt, not one part of today's game was fun to watch.  And honestly, by mid 3rd quarter I stopped yelling at the TV and getting worked up, just felt like we had nothing today.  By the end of the game I wasn't even pissed anymore.....I was over it...in a sense.  Don't get me wrong, I am pissed in general, but not like pissed when you lose at the end of the game.  It's sad when by the end of the game your emotions are already gone because you are so use to this.  

2 hours ago, Sioux04 said:

The announcer called it out a thousand times.  We had our six vs. their seven the entire game.  Wtf Schmidt.

I am not blaming our defense at all for this loss... they held them to 17 points for most of the game and got us the turnover we needed toward the end...if you can't score 20 in the playoffs, you aren't going to win.  Field goals and missed field goals aren't going to cut it. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

I am not blaming our defense at all for this loss... they held them to 17 points for most of the game and got us the turnover we needed toward the end...if you can't score 20 in the playoffs, you aren't going to win.  Field goals and missed field goals aren't going to cut it. 

Should have been 3-3 at half. Zero running game. Defense was really good besides stopping Gums.

11 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with you, with Bubba as coach it will likely never happen.

If that’s true, a timeline for a UND victory becomes pretty long. 

Bubba in 2020 maybe 2021. Assuming the UND administration actually does move on from Bubba, you’ve got a brand new staff in 2022 and a rebuild begins. Now that can happen pretty quickly with the right hire,  but given UNDs coaching hire history, it is unlikely in my mind that that coaching hire will be a homerun. So 2022, 2023 to get the new guys recruits in and 2024 before they possibly field a contender?

I'm hopeful next season is Bubba's last. Schuster and Skokna will be a seniors in 2022. That's best case scenario.

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

There’s a whole lot of roster fortification that needs to happen first. 

My thoughts on the team and coaches align with this.  We need to find a way to get more high end players in the program.

When you factor in that many of our players had limited or no other DI offers and how small we are in the OL and DL - our coaches must do a pretty good job with those players to get us into the playoffs.  What we need to do is find a way to get more of the difference makers in the door.  We have a number of them but not enough.   

• Upvote 2

This game boiled down to three plays. Kett’s personal foul which killed momentum and moved us back eventually resulting in a missed fg. Ketts fumble resulting in a huge momentum swing and a TD for nicholls. Blubaugh absolutely whiffing on a blitz for an easy sack leading to the long TD pass for Nicholls. Those are three very easily avoidable plays. That takes 14 pay off the board for them and could have resulted in 3-7 more for us. That absolutely changed the direction of the game.

• Upvote 4