SiouxSports.com Forum

Nicholls State game day,

Nodak78

10 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

My thoughts on the team and coaches align with this.  We need to find a way to get more high end players in the program.

When you factor in that many of our players had limited or no other DI offers and how small we are in the OL and DL - our coaches must do a pretty good job with those players to get us into the playoffs.  What we need to do is find a way to get more of the difference makers in the door.  We have a number of them but not enough.   

Ya, this is where I am at.  Need some high enders sprinkled in throughout the roster.  Bubba could slob around just like Entz, well not quite as good as Entz as he slobs around very well.  But the point is the UND staff could drive the NDSU ship no problem with the roster they have.  Now......how do we build a similar roster.......?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

My thoughts on the team and coaches align with this.  We need to find a way to get more high end players in the program.

When you factor in that many of our players had limited or no other DI offers and how small we are in the OL and DL - our coaches must do a pretty good job with those players to get us into the playoffs.  What we need to do is find a way to get more of the difference makers in the door.  We have a number of them but not enough.   

You are very correct. First place we need to win is recruiting. We need elite players at each of the power spots especially at QB and both lines.   We are too small across the board or have the wrong body types/athleticism for the systems we are trying to implement.  

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

You are very correct. First place we need to win is recruiting. We need elite players at each of the power spots especially at QB and both lines.   We are too small across the board or have the wrong body types/athleticism for the systems we are trying to implement.  

I think the first step is getting depth on the lines. If your 1s are playing 40 snaps instead of 60 snaps you win crunch time against the middle tier and down. You will still get a handful of elite players who are under recruited, ie Santiago, along the way. Also, get a quarterback in every class.

1 hour ago, Dandydon said:

Und has one thing that is the best in FCS, the smallest and slowest players in FCS football. There is no way they can handle the week to week bruising smash mouth football of the Missouri Valley Conference, there will be many injuries. 

Welcome, first two posts - would love to hear a little about your affiliation with UND. 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Stop bringing us into it with “juicers” comments and Juice U and I’d be happy to stay away.

History has shown this not to be true. Just wondering how you find time to monitor UNI and SDSU fan sites so you can defend every su comment made. 

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I agree with you, with Bubba as coach it will likely never happen.

If that’s true, a timeline for a UND victory becomes pretty long. 

Bubba in 2020 maybe 2021. Assuming the UND administration actually does move on from Bubba, you’ve got a brand new staff in 2022 and a rebuild begins. Now that can happen pretty quickly with the right hire,  but given UNDs coaching hire history, it is unlikely in my mind that that coaching hire will be a homerun. So 2022, 2023 to get the new guys recruits in and 2024 before they possibly field a contender?

Your pessimistic speculation is atrocious. Get it out of here. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hockeygirl97 said:

I am not blaming our defense at all for this loss... they held them to 17 points for most of the game and got us the turnover we needed toward the end...if you can't score 20 in the playoffs, you aren't going to win.  Field goals and missed field goals aren't going to cut it. 

I'm not blaming the defense for the loss either, but they gave up 316 rushing yards.  That's absolutely unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

I'm not blaming the defense for the loss either, but they gave up 316 rushing yards.  That's absolutely unacceptable.

Whether some here like to admit or not the top teams in the MVC run the ball effectively and are able stop the run. Rushing for just north of 40 yards while getting gashed for 300+ is not a recipe UND wants to take into the MVC.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

Bubba's not capable of making sound, real-time decisions.  We've all known it for years.  This is what we get with Bubba ball.  I don't know how it works, but I wonder if Freund was even trying to push him to go for it?  Every single one of us knew UND had to go for it, but Bubba.

That punt was the !@#$ icing on the !@#$ cake.

Edited by UNDBIZ
Language
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Ya, this is where I am at.  Need some high enders sprinkled in throughout the roster.  Bubba could slob around just like Entz, well not quite as good as Entz as he slobs around very well.  But the point is the UND staff could drive the NDSU ship no problem with the roster they have.  Now......how do we build a similar roster.......?

I am starting to have some doubt set in here. I think UND’s staff would find a way to lose one or two games with NDSU’s current roster. But that is pure abstract speculation.

The talent differential between UND and Nicholls State was not that wide at all, perhaps even. But the final score was 24-6.

UND gets better in 2020 with better recruits (need players above D2 talent), better players (strength & conditioning needs to get better; improved development), and better coaching. HPC Phase II would help with recruiting and development but that isn’t getting completed anytime soon. 

When I say better coaching, I’m really not even considering schemes; UND needs to manage game flow much better and know when to be aggressive vs be conservative. Clock management is suspect. Overall team leadership is weak as it appears on the sideline. Players are pouting like infants or just seem “out of it”. That starts at the top. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This game boiled down to three plays. Kett’s personal foul which killed momentum and moved us back eventually resulting in a missed fg. Ketts fumble resulting in a huge momentum swing and a TD for nicholls. Blubaugh absolutely whiffing on a blitz for an easy sack leading to the long TD pass for Nicholls. Those are three very easily avoidable plays. That takes 14 pay off the board for them and could have resulted in 3-7 more for us. That absolutely changed the direction of the game.

can someone post the video ofthe whiff?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sioux04 said:

imagine being a defense knowing grandpa and axl rose are gonna get you damn near nothing and your out there every ten minutes knowing that YOU are expected to score points...they weren't perfect but it's hard to pull for one guy that punts with 6 minutes left in your college career and another that has openly cussed out sioux fans and grandpa and had no consequences. (yeah he lost his captain rank but losing playing time is the only deterrent to this bullcarp)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

imagine being a defense knowing grandpa and axl rose are gonna get you damn near nothing and your out there every ten minutes knowing that YOU are expected to score points...they weren't perfect but it's hard to pull for one guy that punts with 6 minutes left in your college career and another that has openly cussed out sioux fans and grandpa and had no consequences. (yeah he lost his captain rank but losing playing time is the only deterrent to this bullcarp)

Now that was funny!

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I am starting to have some doubt set in here. I think UND’s staff would find a way to lose one or two games with NDSU’s current roster. But that is pure abstract speculation.

The talent differential between UND and Nicholls State was not that wide at all, perhaps even. But the final score was 24-6.

UND gets better in 2020 with better recruits (need players above D2 talent), better players (strength & conditioning needs to get better; improved development), and better coaching. HPC Phase II would help with recruiting and development but that isn’t getting completed anytime soon. 

When I say better coaching, I’m really not even considering schemes; UND needs to manage game flow much better and know when to be aggressive vs be conservative. Clock management is suspect. Overall team leadership is weak as it appears on the sideline. Players are pouting like infants or just seem “out of it”. That starts at the top. 

When I was able to watch, I thought Nichols was more talented at just about every position.  Maybe not inside backers, slight edge to UND.  (I was multitasking with kids hockey)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...