SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Slightly unpopular take here, but couldn't this photo (and the buzz and predictable reactions I am seeing up and down my Twitter feed) have waited until after the home football opener?  I mean, school just started, and we're hours away from kickoff on Saturday...do we need to get people all juiced up for hockey right now?  If I were UND, I would embargo press about hockey until at least one full week into the football season.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Slightly unpopular take here, but couldn't this photo (and the buzz and predictable reactions I am seeing up and down my Twitter feed) have waited until after the home football opener?  I mean, school just started, and we're hours away from kickoff on Saturday...do we need to get people all juiced up for hockey right now?  If I were UND, I would embargo press about hockey until at least one full week into the football season.

Because the only way to get people interested and excited about football is to not talk about hockey?  Doesn’t give the football program much credit.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You can't force football upon hockey fans. I get that you want UND FB to have the attention, but depriving hockey fans of press about hockey is not the way to go about it. If UND FB starts winning games and making the playoffs, they will get more support. Until then, UND FB needs to make its own mark. Hockey is UND's flagship program

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Considering it was posted by Schlossman, I don’t think UND had much say, nor should they. He doesn’t work for UND, so he doesn’t need their permission. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

You can't force football upon hockey fans. I get that you want UND FB to have the attention, but depriving hockey fans of press about hockey is not the way to go about it. If UND FB starts winning games and making the playoffs, they will get more support. Until then, UND FB needs to make its own mark. Hockey is UND's flagship program

And according to some people, it's the only program that matters. This attitude needs to change.

Btw, forcing hockey upon football fans is just as objectionable.

37 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Considering it was posted by Schlossman, I don’t think UND had much say, nor should they. He doesn’t work for UND, so he doesn’t need their permission. 

probably needed their permission to come on in and take a pic...maybe don't make that call

2 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I think most people that enjoy UND sports as a whole are excited about the upcoming football season, but holding that excitement has been the problem the last few years.  They absolutely can’t drop the ball by losing and putting a less than exciting product on the field like they have when the excitement was there early on.  Hoping Freund will help in that regard, and that they can gain momentum from an impressive opening game.  We have seen the same loss of excitement in the hockey program the last few years when they drop the ball and aren’t scoring goals.  Hopefully there is enough excitement to go around for both programs from the get go.

• Upvote 1

When UND was fielding winning teams in the D2 days the crowd was there (for the most part, minus a cakewalk Winona St. playoff game). To get the crowds, the team needs to win, plain and simple. Grand Forks will always be a hockey crowd but if the hockey team continues to struggle even they will lose crowd size because that's simply the nature of Grand Forks fan support.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And according to some people, it's the only program that matters. This attitude needs to change.

Btw, forcing hockey upon football fans is just as objectionable.

No one is forcing hockey on you. I could care less if you like hockey, but anyone with any common sense can see that hockey is the big revenue sport, feeds the athletic budget, and UND football is well in the red. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Exactly, the university isn't going to tell writers and members of the media what they can' cover and not cover. This is a story and a big deal.

Not covering it would be a bigger deal. 

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

What "story"?  Ice on the ground in a hockey rink is a "big deal"?  LOL

The new scoreboard is a pretty bid deal since it's one of the biggest ones in college hockey. 

Just now, Goon said:

The new scoreboard is a pretty bid deal since it's one of the biggest ones in college hockey. 

And that story has been covered ad nauseam.

A little restraint all around would have been nice.  Show some respect for the football program and the other fall sports during the first week of classes.  Hockey will be front and center soon enough.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Feff said:

When UND was fielding winning teams in the D2 days the crowd was there (for the most part, minus a cakewalk Winona St. playoff game). To get the crowds, the team needs to win, plain and simple. Grand Forks will always be a hockey crowd but if the hockey team continues to struggle even they will lose crowd size because that's simply the nature of Grand Forks fan support.

We can all have hockey, basketball and football talk especially with winning teams like in the 90’s, when all 3 sports were successful. Football was winning conference titles and crushing the Bison, women’s basketball was winning back to back to back national titles and the hockey team in 97 won their first national title in 10 years. The school’s athletics was at the top it was not hockey vs basketball vs football. It was UND vs the NCC and WCHA.  Let the hockey talk flow, let the football talk flow. Follow the sport you want and let’s all cheer UND to victory in all sports. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

We can all have hockey, basketball and football talk especially with winning teams like in the 90’s, when all 3 sports were successful. Football was winning conference titles and crushing the Bison, women’s basketball was winning back to back to back national titles and the hockey team in 97 won their first national title in 10 years. The school’s athletics was at the top it was not hockey vs basketball vs football. It was UND vs the NCC and WCHA.  Let the hockey talk flow, let the football talk flow. Follow the sport you want and let’s all cheer UND to victory in all sports. 

I'd agree, I think we can talk about all of the sports at the same time. I don't think posting a story about a scoreboard is going to decrease interest in football. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Exactly, to suppress talk or attention for any of the programs is ludicrous, and a recipe for none of the programs to succeed.  What’s next, not scheduling the game against Penn State in Nashville because it would take all the fans attention for months ahead of time?

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A little restraint all around would have been nice.  Show some respect for the football program and the other fall sports during the first week of classes.  Hockey will be front and center soon enough.

This seems like an odd thing to get worked up about.
I don't find it disrespectful of anything, let alone the football program.  Of course, maybe some SCSU fans feel disrespected looking at the score on the new scoreboard, but that's ok.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

No one is forcing hockey on you. I could care less if you like hockey, but anyone with any common sense can see that hockey is the big revenue sport, feeds the athletic budget, and UND football is well in the red. 

I'd say being born on third and thinking you hit a triple is a hell of a thing but that takes a bit much from the hockey team. They were the team that was set up to succeed being given every advantage there is. Take away their $100+ million gift and things are significantly different. They weren't the cash cow until the new arena showed up.

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

This seems like an odd thing to get worked up about.
I don't find it disrespectful of anything, let alone the football program.  Of course, maybe some SCSU fans feel disrespected looking at the score on the new scoreboard, but that's ok.  :D 

Yeah, season needs to start.  This convo is close to rock bottom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

As the resident pot stirrer, I will take one more shot and then let the dust settle for another year.

Hockey stealing football's thunder before the season even gets rolling is nothing new; I've raised it here before.  Seems there's always a "big story" to be told in August...ice in, logo off ice, logo on ice, these jerseys, those jerseys.  Scoreboard up and operational is old news, of course.  But, ice glistening under the new scoreboard appears to be this year's ill-timed entrant.  It could have waited a few weeks -- no harm, no foul.

My only real question is the timing.  Why can't the Herald, and the REA, and even UND do more to promote football (even if by doing less, or nothing).  Maybe the Herald could double- or triple-down on FB coverage, for just a week or two.  Tom Miller has shown some versatility, and I suspect Brad does as well.  A simple, friendly moratorium on hockey news (barring something really significant) is not that much to ask.  Writers and editors pouncing on borderline hockey news for clicks and likes is just low hanging journalistic fruit.