SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

My $.02.

Kennedy stepped into a tough situation, the road he took to the final outcome of some of his decisions was rocky at best. Cutting sports is the perfect example. The final outcome of those decisions, was always what was best long term for the University. I can't emphasis enough how although unpopular to some, what he did is going to be so valuable going forward. He wasn't the perfect President and he had his flaws for sure, but overall, the University is in a much, much better place because he made the tough decisions.

Side note: Remember that weird tough guy routine Schlossman and Miller did when Kennedy first started and he was on a bus tour of the state and didn't return their calls (or give them quotes) as soon as they wanted? It was really embarrassing for them, but  that kind of set the tone for at least his relationship with the Herald. It's really too bad, they never seemed to really give him a chance.

• Upvote 4

I'm really hoping this can be a win / win for the University. Kennedy comes in, makes the tough (unpopular to some) decisions and sets up the University for the future. The future President will be able to come in with a much better situation than Kennedy stepped into.

A leader has to make tough and unpopular decisions.

A good leader can communicate effectively why those decisions need to be made and why the organization will benefit.

The manner in which kennedy opperated included some tough decisions that were handled with terrible competency, repeatedly arrogant posturing and was dickishly ambivalent to the optics of public perception.

Its quite ridiculous to lament the loss of someone who leads in this fashion, and worse to feel that a quality individual in the position isnt possible.

The flagship institution of the State of North Dakota should expect a competant gracefull leader who can make and explain tough positions.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

A leader has to make tough and unpopular decisions.

A good leader can communicate effectively why those decisions need to be made and why the organization will benefit.

The manner in which kennedy opperated included some tough decisions that were handled with terrible competency, repeatedly arrogant posturing and was dickishly ambivalent to the optics of public perception.

Its quite ridiculous to lament the loss of someone who leads in this fashion, and worse to feel that a quality individual in the position isnt possible.

The flagship institution of the State of North Dakota should expect a competant gracefull leader who can make and explain tough positions.

Amen

• Upvote 1

I don’t give Kennedy a pass because of the budget.  What state agency didn’t have to deal with budget issues.  You can still grow the university at the same time budgets were cut. A lot of his problems were optics amongst the poor decisions he made.  Sort of like our governor with budget cuts but then he is exposed with travel issues and demands for the new house.

• Upvote 1

UND-FB-FAN for president!!  All knowing, most aware.     He/she seems to have the answer for everything.  Although, he may want to wait until Bubba gets fired as he/she could step right in.  Unless, of course, the board from the Alerus can scoop him up to manage that entire cluster they have created. etc, etc, etc!!!!!!  

I'd say Kennedy landed 'on his feet'....A 'Power 5 ' conference...PAC  12 member....and away from the 'pettiness that IS North Dakota.'...Hockey is not on the radar, for U of C....CC and Denver have dibs on that 'niche' sport in the state....

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Sorry Mark but I don't care what color or what gender that person was.  The optics on it were HORRIBLE.  

The optics were horrible; but the target was easy not being a %gobc member. 

Kennedy's not right, but he's not wrong. --> Port pointed her out before the other fellow that came into question; maybe ask Rob why he broke the one story first, before the older news.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

If they're lucky. He's one of the nation's best in the areas UND needed help in. Another thing that is the norm across the nation but not in small minded N.D. When something like this becomes a  major controversy,  North Dakota becomes a laughing stock again. Same with airplane-gate (Bresciani) of a few years ago. A lot of passive aggressive back stabbing jealousy masked as humble ahh shucks populism in this region.

EDIT: Point of clarification, Kennedy never hired Horwitz initially. SMHS did.

This post is gold, and exactly what I have been saying lately.

A lot of small minded people with big mouths!  Happy for Kennedy, and I thank him for what he has done at UND.  Like @geaux_sioux wrote earlier, and I paraphrase very crudely:  "dude got amazing amount of !@#$ done, but came off as an ass sometimes to people in ND".

• Upvote 4