SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

To be anti gay marriage in 2007 put him in line with radical conservatives like Obama.

So when does the MK Apology Tour start?

Maybe he can hire Leigh Jeanotte to be his new PR guy.

CU is controlled by a board of regents.  Don't be surprised that they picked a Republican to run their school. It's not the University of Boulder.  (If that was the case, he would never be their president.)

Hank Brown, a former Republican senator from Colorado was their president after a stint as president of UNC in Greeley. 

Personally, I think Kennedy won't last at CU  and as a Coloradoan, I think it was a bad choice.  At least he appears to be gone from UND.

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

This seemed applicable again...

I think people take this out of context, the "correct" analogy seems to be "screwed up AS a soup sandwich"...so apparently a soup sandwich is a sh*tshow.  Still don't get it.

Did Colorado say it was OK to give his resignation?

did he give his resignation?

that 14 day period seems to put the finalist in a tough position.

did he count his chickens too early?

whatever happens I hope he is gone so we can move on and to the state board Delorenzo is not the solution.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Just curious what other donors he had issue with besides McGarry? Definitely can't be the one who wants to drop $20 million on Gamble Hall? The Foundation is on track for its largest year of donations ever, so forgive me if I'm having a hard time buying all this talk "major donors" (outside of one) having such a huge issue with MK. Note - Not defending the assistant thing, but at this point that whole thing has jumped the rails

I'm not saying I have anything for or against Shirley, I think he was a quality candidate last time around, but what exactly has he done to show he can lead a D1 research institute? Before Minot, he was president at VCSU for 6 years. Other than being "one of us", I'm honestly curious what he did at either of those two places that people think he would be an instant success at UND? Not to mention he applied for the UND last time around less 2 years after getting to Minot, yet Kennedy is a job hopper for looking at moving up in the world after 2.5-3 years.

The Richard’s family didn’t seem to like the idea of him initially closing the golf course.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Time for this bozo to move on.  He may be a brilliant strategic plan writer, but he has pissed his pants too many times with major donors and now defending his remote assistant.  We should have hired Shirley from Minot.

I'm only aware of one, there are surely others based on feedback here.  In the case of KEM, I prefer the term "activist investor", versus major donor, because that's what we're really talking about here.   

• Upvote 3

Whatever Colorado Decides, North Dakota Needs to Be Done With Mark Kennedy

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/whatever-colorado-decides-north-dakota-needs-to-be-done-with-mark-kennedy/

As much good (or bad if you think that) that Kennedy has done for UND, I agree with Port here that UND needs to be done with Kennedy.  If Colorado rejects him, it is going to be tough for him to come back and say that he is committed to UND after looking at 2 other schools in 3 years to move on to.  It is unfortunate he is moving on, cause he did a lot of good for UND.  Sure he had his faults.  But I think the good out weighed the bad throughout his tenure.  Unfortunately the bad was over analyzed and talked about more.  

Moving forward, I hope UND can find a candidate that is committed to UND for the long haul and is committed to making UND better and viable in the work of constant change at Universities this day.  Start by continuing on the good things Kennedy did would make the next President successful.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Time for this bozo to move on.  He may be a brilliant strategic plan writer, but he has pissed his pants too many times with major donors and now defending his remote assistant.  We should have hired Shirley from Minot.

Missed by that much

Should've hired Morgan Olsen, but Kathy Neset couldn't organize a two-car parade. 

9 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

The Richard’s family didn’t seem to like the idea of him initially closing the golf course.

Fair considering the optics of the whole thing, though I have a hard time classifying that as a major donor considering it was a gift worth around $11K when it was gifted. On top of that, Schafer is the one who made the decision to close the course, not Kennedy.

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

... what exactly has he (Shirley) done to show he can lead a D1 research institute? Before Minot, he was president at VCSU for 6 years. Other than being "one of us", I'm honestly curious what he did at either of those two places that people think he would be an instant success at UND? Not to mention he applied for the UND last time around less 2 years after getting to Minot, yet Kennedy is a job hopper for looking at moving up in the world after 2.5-3 years.

I'm still looking for that information also. 

And yeah, if Kennedy is a hopper, so is Shirley. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Fair considering the optics of the whole thing, though I have a hard time classifying that as a major donor considering it was a gift worth around $11K when it was gifted. On top of that, Schafer is the one who made the decision to close the course, not Kennedy.

Thanks for the clarification.  Couldn't remember if it happened prior Kennedy leaving.

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not saying I have anything for or against Shirley, I think he was a quality candidate last time around, but what exactly has he done to show he can lead a D1 research institute? Before Minot, he was president at VCSU for 6 years. Other than being "one of us", I'm honestly curious what he did at either of those two places that people think he would be an instant success at UND?

Everybody starts out somewhere. Based on this logic, Clifford would never have been hired at UND. It is also unlikely that Shirley would leave after less than 3 years on the job; he seems like a North Dakota lifer. We need stability and loyalty right now, not more instability and wanderlust.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Everybody starts out somewhere. Based on this logic, Clifford would never have been hired at UND. It is also unlikely that Shirley would leave after less than 3 years on the job; he seems like a North Dakota lifer. We need stability and loyalty right now, not more instability and wanderlust.

None of that answer my question of what happened at VCSU or MiSU that makes him such an impressive candidate except for being "one of us". He was tagged as being inexperienced last time around, did another couple years at Minot really change that? I'm not being negative towards him, I'm really trying to understand the appeal.

And pure speculation he wouldn't leave after less than 3 years, he's on the record at looking to advance after less than 2 years after Minot. I'm in no way blaming him for doing it, just point out the hypocrisy for those that are in favor of him and degrading MK for doing the same thing. What if he got approached for an opportunity at the largest undergrad college in the nation or a nearby AAU/P5 school?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well I would think that CU would have done their homework before making him the lone finalist, but you do bring up a valid point.

See, unlike the UCF position, this is the one that would make things awkward if a skeleton or cold feet or come off of their high happens. 

Considering who would be in charge behind Kennedy, I would take him rescinding his resignation and continuing over Teflon Tom running things in the interim. 

@Frozen4sioux I apologize, it appears they have not.