Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

6 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

All this losing is harshing my frickin’ mellow.  This is the time of year where we’re supposed to really get jacked up for Sioux hockey.  Now just get to watch DU and Minny vie for the title.

Spoiler Alert: Q and the Peck ... 

I have to wonder if the coaching staff is still trying to adjust to this new era of college hockey, in which the NCAA has largely removed physical play from the game.

I mean, UND has always been known for physicality. In fact, I'd argue that over the years no college team has been more associated with physical play than UND (maybe Wisco too, like, during the '70s and '80s). It was UND's identity and UND's reputation. Even when we didn't have a Hrkac or a Toews on the roster, every opposing team knew they'd be black and blue after a series against us. 

So now...what is our identity?

And can UND's current coaches reconstruct an identity that leads to success, wins, and championships?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

The outcome of this season was sadly predictable, but I haven’t supported this team since the Doug Smail and Craig Ludwig days based on outcomes alone.

The process and product are what is currently suspect.  In the slow start Hakstol era, we knew the process would get the boys contending in March and April.  Elite talent was exciting to watch even in a losing streak.  Speed, skill, physicality defined Sioux hockey.   It was better to be a perpetual bridesmaid than not be invited to the wedding at all…to be a program that is a perpetual contender that just can’t get over the hump is vastly better than being middle of the pack.

We need to get that back or we risk losing both recruits and community fanaticism and falling into a spiral of mediocrity.  In my book Brad has a short leash.  He needs to re-tool his coaching staff for sure, and he needs to look hard at his players and his beloved culture.  Right now it ain’t working.

Nailed it.   My worry is that there are no short leashes in the AD's office and Berry won't make the necessary changes on his own.  If this happens we will be like Wisconsin.  Also I thought when we got Karl as assistant he would give us a boost in recruiting and that our goalie play would be outstanding.  Not sure what is going on there.   We need to be a team that is hard to play against and has speed and skill again.  We look and play slow and high end talent doesn't want to play like that.

But high end talent would rather not be a healthy scratch which could happen in with this coaching staff, seems like Berry has his favorites and plays then I matter what, Rhett, Senden , Hain and all the portal guys. If the players you and your staff recruited aren’t good enough to play over portal guys what does that say about their recruiting and coaching, I will beat a dead horse here if Johnson was good enough to come in over Morrow why hasn’t he been coached to play D, he has talent just need to coach the skill. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

The outcome of this season was sadly predictable, but I haven’t supported this team since the Doug Smail and Craig Ludwig days based on outcomes alone.

The process and product are what is currently suspect.  In the slow start Hakstol era, we knew the process would get the boys contending in March and April.  Elite talent was exciting to watch even in a losing streak.  Speed, skill, physicality defined Sioux hockey.   It was better to be a perpetual bridesmaid than not be invited to the wedding at all…to be a program that is a perpetual contender that just can’t get over the hump is vastly better than being middle of the pack.

We need to get that back or we risk losing both recruits and community fanaticism and falling into a spiral of mediocrity.  In my book Brad has a short leash.  He needs to re-tool his coaching staff for sure, and he needs to look hard at his players and his beloved culture.  Right now it ain’t working.

Well said.  Is our coach able to look in the mirror first and foremost and correct things?  Does he see there is an issue?  

One....one NCAA victory since 2016, and there were regionals in Fargo many times during this streak. (See above post).  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Let’s look at Berrys record , 8 seasons I ncaa title in his first year, on the road for Nchc league playoffs twice , has missed the NCAA’s three times now and  first round ncaa exits three times ( yes one was a 5 ot game but if we don’t score two extra attacker goals never makes it that far) Berry needs to figure this out or step aside before his precious culture is the culture of losing. We looked very slow against UM, Denver and St. Cloud. 

Three straight NCHC conference Championships. * coached best team in the nation in 2020 to #1 overall seed only to have season abruptly cancelled. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I think coach values defensive responsibility over other criteria, and that is his basis in roster moves / non moves.

I think that became the case midway through this season, when the goaltenders could have sued the skaters for lack of support.  It may have been seen as the only way to save the season.

• Upvote 2

On July 1, 2023, the limitation on paid countable coaches goes from 3 to 4.  

How we fill that position, and who fills it, will be a big driver of future improvements.  (Also, whether anyone on staff moves on.)

Does Ulmer stay on as coach #4, or do we bring in someone new?

34 minutes ago, jk said:

I think that became the case midway through this season, when the goaltenders could have sued the skaters for lack of support.  It may have been seen as the only way to save the season.

I think it is an overall characteristic of Berry's culture,  install defensive responsibility in players so they can find a role in the NHL.  I'm certain that all players have making the show as a top goal, perhaps higher than an ncaa championship....

21 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

On July 1, 2023, the limitation on paid countable coaches goes from 3 to 4.  

How we fill that position, and who fills it, will be a big driver of future improvements.  (Also, whether anyone on staff moves on.)

Does Ulmer stay on as coach #4, or do we bring in someone new?

And what about Jackson, why did Berry get the nod over Dane?  Is it Danes time?

2 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I have to wonder if the coaching staff is still trying to adjust to this new era of college hockey, in which the NCAA has largely removed physical play from the game.

I mean, UND has always been known for physicality. In fact, I'd argue that over the years no college team has been more associated with physical play than UND (maybe Wisco too, like, during the '70s and '80s). It was UND's identity and UND's reputation. Even when we didn't have a Hrkac or a Toews on the roster, every opposing team knew they'd be black and blue after a series against us. 

So now...what is our identity?

And can UND's current coaches reconstruct an identity that leads to success, wins, and championships?

I think all the coaches are aware the NCAAs push to reduce physical play...  aside from Kleven, big physical defenseman is not the norm.  IMHO, the question is how is the coaching staff dealing with this criteria....  obviously not well enough..  lots of calls to bench people after penalties. Hell some people call for it after every penalty like none should be happening. 

45 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Three straight NCHC conference Championships. * coached best team in the nation in 2020 to #1 overall seed only to have season abruptly cancelled. 

And 1, yes 1 Ncaa win since 2016 and twice on the road for NCHC first round and nobody knows what would have happened in 2020 we could have had an early exit or ein it all. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

And 1, yes 1 Ncaa win since 2016 and twice on the road for NCHC first round and nobody knows what would have happened in 2020 we could have had an early exit or ein it all. 

i just don’t think it’s fair to only list the negative part of someone’s record. Lots of positives there as well. I 100% believe Berry is the right man for the job and there’s more success to come very soon. I however wouldn’t be against making some changes to his staff  but that’s up to him. 

13 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

i just don’t think it’s fair to only list the negative part of someone’s record. Lots of positives there as well. I 100% believe Berry is the right man for the job and there’s more success to come very soon. I however wouldn’t be against making some changes to his staff  but that’s up to him. 

So if next year is more of the same, will you still be saying the same things?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jk said:

What was saved? Serious question.

Personally, we need to be more aggressive with a one goal lead in the third.  There were times when we had nobody forechecking, everyone staying back to defend.
 How many leads do they have to give up before they get more aggessive.

I would be curious to know Berry’s record in special events like destination games, Frozen Faceoffs and regionals after the Championship season. Remember when we won the WCHA final five several times in a row, and won something every year under Hakstol?

I know several times now we are figuring out what to do because we have been one and done consistently in regionals and league tourneys.  Watching and having to cheer for other teams other than UND way too often lately.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Personally, we need to be more aggressive with a one goal lead in the third.  There were times when we had nobody forechecking, everyone staying back to defend.

I would be curious to know Berry’s record in special events like destination games, Frozen Faceoffs and regionals after the Championship season. Remember when we won the WCHA final five several times in a row, and won something every year under Hakstol?

I know several times now we are figuring out what to do because we have been one and done consistently in regionals and league tourneys.  Watching and having to cheer for other teams other than UND way too often lately.  

100%

3 hours ago, dustnyou said:

Just curious if you think Hubert Davis isn’t feeling a bit of pressure at North Carolina after missing all of ONE NCAA hoops tournament?  

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

When they scored the go-ahead goal in the second, they really poured it on right afterward, and I thought they were going to repeat the burst from last Sunday.  But they weren't able to build the lead, and paid for that.

Didn't the team recently go like 70 games in a row without a loss when leading after two?  They did that by being conservative, and I recall it drove us nuts.  But this year's team obviously was terrible at it.  That streak feels like ancient history.