Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

My post above predicted small schools in March Madness might emerge.

Only takes couple blue chippahs in hockey too.

It's affecting basketball tournament this year, but not hockey?

Upsets have been part of the MBB tournament for years. And they have become more common in recent years.........before NIL was a thing at all.

NIL is a convenient scapegoat and boogeyman for everything that happens in collegiate athletics. And a cheap and easy story idea for journalists who don't have ideas of their own and have a deadline to meet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's already being felt in this year's March Madness.

The Weirdest NCAA Tournament Ever Thanks In Large Part To The NIL

it's true..."Blue Bloods" thought that they could just be....."blue bloods"...we are a blue blood in hockey but we don't have the "old money" that a lot of "blue bloods" have....once UNC, Duke, Kansas, ...Texas figure it out they will spend the money...that they have (does UND have the money?)

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

And finding creative, but also legal, ways to do so is just beginning.

One of these is the wild emerging world of "Collectives".

Of the 65 schools that make up the Power Five, 92% have at least one collective or are in the process of forming one. All 14 schools in the SEC have at least one organization. 

Four-star quarterback Jaden Rashada recently committed to Miami. Yet, only hours later, his NIL attorney Michael Caspino was on the record telling On3 that the four-star recruit left millions on the table by not going to Florida. 

Head coach after head coach told stories this offseason of players entering the Transfer Portal because of the opportunity to cash in. With the mix of the portal and NIL, the offseason turned into college sports free agency. 

“We can’t promise anybody any money for play,” North Carolina head coach Mack Brown said back in February. “Just about every transfer I’ve talked to was being offered money (from other schools), so it was a little ridiculous.”

" How large is your schools collective?"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

How do you know this information? Is it published somewhere or, like, just your opinion,  man?  (Dude voice/pic thingy)

There have been several articles written about it. One of them referenced info from Minnesota Athletic Department.

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

All this costs 3M is a little depreciation in exchange for a few pics of them in 3M hats on their social media pages.

My imaginary scenario wasn't too far off. Its beanies and sweatshirts.

From one of Minnesota's "Collectives"...

A few days ago an AD at a Big Ten school said "NCAA could splinter without stronger NIL rules: ‘We’ve got to get our act together’.

Since college hockey is such a niche sport, NIL ought to have less impact, though a larger media market like Mpls-Stp that is hockey-centric certainly should have a big advantage over UND or even DU, simply from a marketing standpoint. 

And don't try to say I'm wrong.   A girl gets tired of being wrong all the time.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Its a national conversation right now. Strange you feel the need to attack the writer.

Those schools are not "blue bloods". Duke, North Carolina, UCLA..........those are blue bloods. And none of them are playing right now.

Also, the barstool sports article you posted earlier said NIL would help the smaller schools compete. So which is it? Does it favor the big guys or the little guys?

NIL is very early in its life cycle. A lot of things could happen with it. UND boosters can and should get a collective started and I would chip in something, but let's not proclaim UND's time as a hockey power over.

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I hope Berry is watching as the Goofers have used the regional in Fargo ND to punch their ticket to Tampa. I hope that doesn't sit well with him because it doesn't sit well with me....

I hope he is busy finding us a goalie and some dmen rather than stewing about something that is now outside of his control. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

I hope he is busy finding us a goalie and some dmen rather than stewing about something that is now outside of his control. ;)

Well one would hope that is already in the works.

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All this NIL talk is pure conjecture. FB and MBB will probably land the lion's share of deals since those sports have a much higher profile than hockey. Also, except for the Goofs, hockey ranks #3 at best (sometimes lower) at B1G schools.

The NCHC wasn't going to be #1 every year forever (that is just not realistic), but some people on this forum already have us being relegated to mid-major status from now on. I think that is alarmist. NIL is something UND boosters should take seriously, but it isn't the end all and be all some people think it is. The NCAA will likely introduce rules and regulations on NIL in the future, which will change things again. Let's focus on rebooting our program and less on things we cannot control.

Holy Christ its the opposite of Jason Bourne mentality here.

If I looked up 

"Holy Mother of Mary I have no gaddamn clue what the Eff I'm talking about".... in the dictionary.

This post would be the definition.

WOW

• Downvote 3

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

If not already, there's going to be thousands and thousands of these transactions. Some publicly. Most not.

And we are only at the tip of the iceberg.

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Add in new transfer rules and its not your dads college hockey anymore.

Bingo.

It easy to tell who is knowledgeable about what's actually happening in the recruiting world right now and who.... absolutely isn't.

2 hours ago, burd said:

Since college hockey is such a niche sport, NIL ought to have less impact, though a larger media market like Mpls-Stp that is hockey-centric certainly should have a big advantage over UND or even DU, simply from a marketing standpoint. 

And don't try to say I'm wrong.   A girl gets tired of being wrong all the time.

It's not about the "Hockey Market" it's the overall pool of what's available to offer.

This is where the B1G will dominate... strike that...

IS DOMINATING down into the world of NCAA hockey.

You have to understand it's not a "hockey market" issue or a "niche sport" issue.

It's a volume and alumni base available issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Holy Christ its the opposite of Jason Bourne mentality here.

If I looked up 

"Holy Mother of Mary I have no gaddamn clue what the Eff I'm talking about".... in the dictionary.

This post would be the definition.

WOW

Really? It is a FACT that hockey at B1G schools is not held with anything close to the regard that MBB and FB are. Sometimes I think even WBB may rank higher than hockey if their women's team is doing really well. There is not a thing I posted that was off-the-wall or out of bounds. Our program will NOT fade into the past and be relegated to mid-major status. Neither will the NCHC.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NIL is very early in its life cycle. A lot of things could happen with it. UND boosters can and should get a collective started and I would chip in something, but let's not proclaim UND's time as a hockey power over.

Not claiming its over. But they could be left behind fast if they don't keep up with the landscape. Any team.

Am I crazy to think there's more rich people and boosters in the Twin Cities to give recruits money than Grand Forks, ND? Bemidji, MN?

Of course one rich booster can change everything. Seeing that in Miami Basketball right now.

Lots of question. It'll play out more over the years as we see so and so schools become "the place to be."

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

It's not about the "Hockey Market" it's the overall pool of what's available to offer.

You have to understand it's not a "hockey market" issue or a "niche sport" issue.

One great season does not equal a trend. The NCHC winning 5 out of the last 6 NCAA titles IS a trend. Cripes, take a pill and lie down. This season was a disaster, but it is not the end of the road for us.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Really? It is a FACT that hockey at B1G schools is not held with anything close to the regard that MBB and FB are. Sometimes I think even WBB may rank higher than hockey if their women's team is doing really well. There is not a thing I posted that was off-the-wall or out of bounds. Our program will NOT fade into the past and be relegated to mid-major status. Neither will the NCHC.

Ya know that meme of the dragon show where the ginger freak sez  something like ...

"You know nothing Jon Snow"...?

You are Jon, on this subject.

You don't even know what matters in your own argument. 

Hint: Hockey "popularity" vs other sports has nothing to do with the issue....  Zero, Zilch, Nada...

Nothing.

9 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All this NIL talk is pure conjecture. FB and MBB will probably land the lion's share of deals since those sports have a much higher profile than hockey. Also, except for the Goofs, hockey ranks #3 at best (sometimes lower) at B1G schools.

The NCHC wasn't going to be #1 every year forever (that is just not realistic), but some people on this forum already have us being relegated to mid-major status from now on. I think that is alarmist. NIL is something UND boosters should take seriously, but it isn't the end all and be all some people think it is. The NCAA will likely introduce rules and regulations on NIL in the future, which will change things again. Let's focus on rebooting our program and less on things we cannot control.

LOL, the NCAA will save us, you are two years behind. For the millionth time, the NCAA is powerless, the Supreme Court > NCAA.

Without facing facts and UND getting on board we are the Big 10’s farm team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarpeRemote said:

LOL, the NCAA will save us, you are two years behind. For the millionth time, the NCAA is powerless, the Supreme Court > NCAA.

The Supreme Court said they cannot prohibit NIL. That doesn't mean they cannot regulate it. I saw a story a few weeks back on my ESPN app on a school that was sanctioned for being involved in NIL. So it can be regulated.

3 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

This is accurate.

This cat is out of the NCAA's bag. They have zero control.

They can try and corral it but precedent has been set in the United States SUPREME COURT precedent.

.... but some fool on ss.com says hockey not popular so it's not an issue.  yikes

9 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I'm willing to believe that since I will be the first to admit ignorance on the issue.   But if NIL involves the use of the player's name, image or likeness for marketing purposes, how can that marketing effort generate dollars if the marketplace doesn't care much about the name or image being used?   

You'll probably have to explain it to me like I'm a six-year-old, as Denzel Washington would say.  

6 minutes ago, burd said:

I'm willing to believe that since I will be the first to admit ignorance on the issue.   But if NIL involves the use of the player's name, image or likeness for marketing purposes, how can that marketing effort generate dollars if the marketplace doesn't care much about the name or image being used?   

You'll probably have to explain it to me like I'm a six-year-old, as Denzel Washington would say.  

The collectives are not necessarily sport specific per say.... they sure could be.... if they wanted them to be.

So if Money is needed for the Hockey program to land a YUUGE 1st rounder or 5.... or the WBB team needs that superstar... 

The available pool of money from huge donor and alumni bases... money could be, and is used, through the collective.... to get that athlete paid.

"Through their NIL" 

It's not the money thay may make from selling some posters or doing a few commercials or running a hockey camp.

Its the money they will be given, funneled through sales of posters and a commercial if they commit.

The things these monies are

"not supposed to be used for"

and 

"what it's used for"

are not the same. No matter what the NCAA wants to try and control.

The "regulations" in NIL are being viewed as the speed limit is viewed on I-94.

When it was 65.