Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

On 2/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, Cratter said:

Maybe UND can't afford high end recruits anymore?

The days of winning a recruiting battle with a nice arena are long behind us.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:19 PM, Cratter said:

I mean but its true. You don't win with arenas anymore. 

You win by buying talent.

Is this why we are finally starting to see the Big Ten so quickly and easily rise to dominance after the NIL was passed.

Pure coincidence?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

Is this why we are finally starting to see the Big Ten so quickly and easily rise to dominance after the NIL was passed.

Pure coincidence?

Do we know if any of the hockey players are getting NIL money ? Where our all the commercials with hockey players promoting the businesses? If one or two players on a team get NIL what happens to the others and when does jealousy creep in , why should I block shots when player X is getting paid and I’m not. Just not sure how this all works. 

On 3/18/2023 at 5:26 PM, bcblues said:

In my mind, the Berry era teams (beyond the first that was Hak's legacy) lack discipline. It is not the "physical play" that is leading to the penalties as much as it is lazy or out-of-position plays that causes most of the offensive zone penalties (that we should never be taking) and many of the d-zone penalties as well. There are plenty of teams full of huge defensemen. They are not all getting punished like we are.

The portal needs to go away. Berry has become dependent on the portal to fill gaps caused by lack of planning, recruiting, and developing both individual player, and teams as a whole.

TBH, I think we are seeing with Berry the same thing the Omaha folks saw with Blaiser the last 3 years of his tenure. Sloppy coaching, poor recruiting for today's game, loyalty to assistants that maybe should be replaced. Dean couldn't put it together regardless of the talent. That's probably why he retired, he couldn't see the solution and was resistant to suggestion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Do we know if any of the hockey players are getting NIL money ? Where our all the commercials with hockey players promoting the businesses? If one or two players on a team get NIL what happens to the others and when does jealousy creep in , why should I block shots when player X is getting paid and I’m not. Just not sure how this all works. 

All this NIL talk is pure conjecture. FB and MBB will probably land the lion's share of deals since those sports have a much higher profile than hockey. Also, except for the Goofs, hockey ranks #3 at best (sometimes lower) at B1G schools.

The NCHC wasn't going to be #1 every year forever (that is just not realistic), but some people on this forum already have us being relegated to mid-major status from now on. I think that is alarmist. NIL is something UND boosters should take seriously, but it isn't the end all and be all some people think it is. The NCAA will likely introduce rules and regulations on NIL in the future, which will change things again. Let's focus on rebooting our program and less on things we cannot control.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All this NIL talk is pure conjecture. FB and MBB will probably land the lion's share of deals since those sports have a much higher profile than hockey. Also, except for the Goofs, hockey ranks #3 at best (sometimes lower) at B1G schools.

The NCHC wasn't going to be #1 every year forever (that is just not realistic), but some people on this forum already have us being relegated to mid-major status from now on. I think that is alarmist. NIL is something UND boosters should take seriously, but it isn't the end all and be all some people think it is. The NCAA will likely introduce rules and regulations on NIL in the future, which will change things again. Let's focus on rebooting our program and less on things we cannot control.

As much as it's hard to believe, that is the case at Minnesota as well. Football and Basketball rule at all B1G schools and that will never change. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I imagine it's as simple as:

"3M has donated unlimited usage of a mansion on Lake Minnetonka to all current Gopher hockey players. Equipped with Lambos, jet skis, snowmobiles, ice castles, and pontoons."

All this costs 3M is a little depreciation in exchange for a few pics of them in 3M hats on their social media pages. I don't even think the players need to file anything for tax purposes. If they felt the need to "keep these kind of things private" it doesn't seem to be very hard.

Or a youtube ad. All my youtube ads seems to be for Scheels. "I'm (hypothetical current player) Carson Wentz and I love shopping at Scheels."

Hard to imagine this isn't the future.

We're seeing some of the most lopsided games in NCAA hockey history and it just seems to be by the richest programs.

11 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

There is no such thing as a coincidence.....

------------Socrates

.....probably.

NIL for hockey even in the Big 10 is minimal at this point. A couple teams have collectives but they don't really generate much. Across the  board in college sports you have about 4-5% of Athletes raking in the vast majority of NIL money.

At Minnesota, Men's and Women's Hockey and Baseball combined make up less than 5% if NIL money that their athletes take in.

5 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Kleven, Caulfield, and Frisch ran camps last summer and Kleven was the Rink Live athlete for UND this year. The camps can be a nice chunk of change but by the time they pay their teammates for helping out and renting ice time they are not getting rich.

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"3M has donated unlimited usage of a mansion on Lake Minnetonka to all current Gopher hockey players. Equipped with Lambos, jet skis, snowmobiles, ice castles, and pontoons."

In a way, this is more valuable to the Instagram and YouTube generation than money, as it would give them mega social media clout posing with this stuff during their careers. 

8 minutes ago, petey23 said:

NIL for hockey even in the Big 10 is minimal at this point. A couple teams have collectives but they don't really generate much. Across the  board in college sports you have about 4-5% of Athletes raking in the vast majority of NIL money.

At Minnesota, Men's and Women's Hockey and Baseball combined make up less than 5% if NIL money that their athletes take in.

Between the Cavender twins and the LSU gymnast, that's probably a quarter of the NIL money right there.  Okay, I'm exaggerating but you get my point.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Just thinking out loud here: maybe it doesn’t require a ton of NIL cash to move the needle. When I was in college, $1000 seemed like an unimaginable amount of money to me. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Between the Cavender twins and the LSU gymnast, that's probably a quarter of the NIL money right there.  Okay, I'm exaggerating but you get my point.   

Throw in a Fans Only page as well.......

2 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Just thinking out loud here: maybe it doesn’t require a ton of NIL cash to move the needle. When I was in college, $1000 seemed like an unimaginable amount of money to me. 

Sensations and the Down UNDer aren't a thing anymore 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I imagine it's as simple as:

All this costs 3M is a little depreciation in exchange for a few pics of them in 3M hats on their social media pages. I don't even think the players need to file anything for tax purposes. If they felt the need to "keep these kind of things private" it doesn't seem to be very hard.

Or a youtube ad. All my youtube ads seems to be for Scheels. "I'm (hypothetical current player) Carson Wentz and I love shopping at Scheels."

Hard to imagine this isn't the future.

We're seeing some of the most lopsided games in NCAA hockey history and it just seems to be by the richest programs.

Can’t wait for the gopher version of the Vikings “Love Boat” episode.  After what happened to Motzko’s son, I would hope that any functions at this place would have some supervision.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

If not already, there's going to be thousands and thousands of these transactions. Some publicly. Most not.

There is no "NIL list" that needs to be reported to the NCAA. $1,000 an hour to mow grass was an obvious violation back "in the day". But now "Using a name, image, likeness", with social media doesn't have a market cap. 

An example in our backyard, Engelstad Arena is not owned or operated by UND (edited). They have an incentive to have good players play in their arena. There is now no rule stopping them from spending money however they want to make this happen. This might sound good to UND fans, but it's not a unique situation. And finding creative, but also legal, ways to do so is just beginning.

And we are only at the tip of the iceberg.

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The entities that own and operate REA are not for profit entities. They each file a Form 990.

Oops. You're correct. I edited it. Brain fart.

But is the same though. As it is not owned or ran by the university. 

Being a not for profit...."well we got profit right now...the law says we have to spend it before the end of the year. We will pay UND players to advertise our product."

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

If not already, there's going to be thousands and thousands of these transactions. Some publicly. Most not.

There is no "NIL list" that needs to be reported to the NCAA. $1,000 an hour to mow grass was an obvious violation back "in the day". But now "Using a name, image, likeness", with social media doesn't have a market cap. 

An example in our backyard, Engelstad Arena is not owned or operated by UND (edited). They have an incentive to have good players play in their arena. There is now no rule stopping them from spending money however they want to make this happen. This might sound good to UND fans, but it's not a unique situation. And finding creative, but also legal ways, to do so is just beginning.

And we are only at the tip of the iceberg.

The NCAA may not care about the money coming in, but you can be sure the IRS does. It's income and Uncle Sam will get his share and rightfully so. Accountants and tax planners will be replacing tutors on athletic department payrolls. 

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

How do you know this information? Is it published somewhere or, like, just your opinion,  man?  (Dude voice/pic thingy)

• Upvote 1

It's already being felt in this year's March Madness.

The Weirdest NCAA Tournament Ever Thanks In Large Part To The NIL

....first time ever we have zero #1 seeds in the Elite Eight and that’s in large part because of the NIL.

The NIL effect has leveled the playing field. The traditional blue blood schools used to hoard, funnel, and stack talent to their schools with the only incentive being the school legacy etc. But by also having the means to pay kids and their families thanks to boosters like Happy from Blue Chips.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:11 PM, Cratter said:

Or maybe a small school with great financial backing will emerge?

Only take a couple blue chippahs in basketball. The Ivys?

Full effect probably five years away.

10 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's already being felt in this year's March Madness.

The Weirdest NCAA Tournament Ever Thanks In Large Part To The NIL

My post above predicted small schools in March Madness might emerge.

Only takes couple blue chippahs in hockey too.

It's affecting basketball tournament this year, but not hockey?