Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

Michigan, Denver are two programs that are better than us.

Because they have more natties?  How would you like a title drought of 35 years (Denver) or 32 years (Michigan)? Not exactly the gold standard of consistency.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nick Saban wouldn't have his job for long if the Crimson Tide started settling for "winning seasons".

not with the amount of money that coaches are being paid. UND isn't paying Berry to just have a "winning season" and produce Olympic Athletes and NHL players.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Michigan hasn't won an NCAA title since 1998. But Denver is a textbook example of what we used to represent and no longer do.

Michigan may not have won an NCAA title but they have been pretty damn consistent since winning theirs.

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Michigan may not have won an NCAA title but they have been pretty damn consistent since winning theirs.

So, since 1998, you'd choose Michigan's success over UND's??  Just trying to see where you're coming from here.

5 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

not with the amount of money that coaches are being paid. UND isn't paying Berry to just have a "winning season" and produce Olympic Athletes and NHL players.

Yea, if we were in the business of producing Olympic athletes, we’d have disbanded the men’s hockey team a decade ago and invested those funds into…

…WOMEN’S HOCKEY!

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Because they have more natties?  How would you like a title drought of 35 years (Denver) or 32 years (Michigan)? Not exactly the gold standard of consistency.

They might not have won one recently but they have been pretty darn consistent. You're also going to say that Denver isn't consistent? they've won 4 titles in the past 20 years (and have the potential to add a 5th).

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So, since 1998, you'd choose Michigan's success over UND's??  Just trying to see where you're coming from here.

Well, since Schloss is all about “winning seasons,” Michigan clearly is in the conversation, right?  

3 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Here is your quote "Historically, stack UND up against literally any other college hockey program, no matter which metric you pick, UND will likely be better". Stop moving the goal post to fit whatever you want it to fit. If we are talking recently, then I'd say Denver and Duluth but HISTORICALLY (like you stated) Michigan and Denver are slightly above us.

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Well, since Schloss is all about “winning seasons,” Michigan clearly is in the conversation, right?  

Considering they were not on the list he tweeted, that's a hard "NO" in my opinion.  Losing season as recently as 2018-19. 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Considering they were not on the list he tweeted, that's a hard "NO" in my opinion.  Losing season as recently as 2018-19. 

being 18-17-2 and losing in the NCHC first round in 18-19 doesn't really "scream" winning season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

Here is your quote "Historically, stack UND up against literally any other college hockey program, no matter which metric you pick, UND will likely be better". Stop moving the goal post to fit whatever you want it to fit. If we are talking recently, then I'd say Denver and Duluth but HISTORICALLY (like you stated) Michigan and Denver are slightly above us.

I'm saying both HISTORICALLY and RECENTLY, UND is better than Michigan.  RECENTLY, Denver is better than UND.  HISTORICALLY, you could argue either way between UND and Denver.  I'm arguing that HISTORICALLY UND is better because of more consistency throughout time.

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

being 18-17-2 and losing in the NCHC first round in 18-19 doesn't really "scream" winning season.

Sure, but still interesting to me you'd advocate for Michigan.  Maybe if it were 1956 when Michigan had 6 titles and UND had none (nor even played for one.)

5 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Michigan also had 5 less than 20 win seasons since 2010. (Not counting the Covid season of 2020-21) I believe that threshold was discussed previously also. 

1 hour ago, 1966guy said:

Perhaps he can be coaxed out of his NHL gig and come back here and when he doesn't win a national title the name on this thread can be changed and we can go back 10 or 12 years and call for Hakstols firing all over.  Am I the only person thats sees a never ending pattern here?

:lol:  Spot on.  

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Good god, what an absolute dumpster fire this thread has become. 

The stat was put out there because it is impressive. Arguing against that is dumb. 

No one thinks .500 should be the standard. No one thinks Berry should stay JUST because he's been over .500.

Can we all stop with the pissing matches? Let's pay attention to a really fun run our team has started over the past month or so and a really big weekend in St. Paul, shall we?

The stat was put out there by Schlossman what, 24 hours after UND guarantees itself a one game over .500 season.  Let’s go back in time to October 1 and you can let me know what you’d think of me if I predicted UND with 18 wins on the season come the Frozen Faceoff puck-drop.  Obviously Schloss thought that that was quite the impressive stat and needed to keep himself from being given the next media Code Red.

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The stat was put out there by Schlossman what, 24 hours after UND guarantees itself a one game over .500 season.  Let’s go back in time to October 1 and you can let me know what you’d think of me if I predicted UND with 18 wins on the season come the Frozen Faceoff puck-drop. 

Schlossman is an absolute stat nerd. It's a pretty impressive stat. Does that mean that the season wasn't a dumpster fire? No. 

Yeah, obviously :silly: We've all got it pinned down.

Cripes.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Sure, but still interesting to me you'd advocate for Michigan.  Maybe if it were 1956 when Michigan had 6 titles and UND had none (nor even played for one.)

You're cherry picking again. 

NCAA tournament appearances: UND 34 MICH 40

Frozen Four: UND 22 MICH 26

NCAA Championships: UND 8 MICH 9

Overall Michigan has been better.

In case anyone is interpreting my comments as to the success (or not) of this particular season, thankfully, that jury is still out.  It's been less than spectacular at times (most times, actually), but certain perpetual program goals have not been eliminated yet.  That says something, too.