194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

7 hours ago, Goon said:

I’ll throw this tweet here. good night. 

On 2/16/2023 at 8:52 PM, burd said:

If and when it's time to replace Berry, it will be easy to find people with a better understanding of what it takes to recruit elite talent and win titles.   There are dozens of those on this website alone.  

Levity.  Levity.

This sums it all up.  This alone should close this thread.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Don't worry, someone will find a downside to it

I’ll be your huckleberry…

Barring an NCHC playoff championship this weekend, Berry will wind up with either 18 or 19 wins on the year.  3rd time in 8 seasons with win totals in the teens.  Hakstol’s WORST season was 2012-2013 with 22 wins. 

20 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Don't worry, someone will find a downside to it

There's is some nuance though, no? I guess I just don't see the correlation between that stat and this thread. Genuinely don't. Clearly some do. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AJS said:

There's is some nuance though, no? I guess I just don't see the correlation between that stat and this thread. Genuinely don't. Clearly some do. 

Definitely some nuance, but consistency is a big deal in college sports. At its core, if a program is consistently over .500, they are AT LEAST in the mix. UND has been in the mix for 21 years. Totally understand there's more to that, but it's not a bad thing to be above .500 for this long. It really is quite impressive.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’ll be your huckleberry…

Barring an NCHC playoff championship this weekend, Berry will wind up with either 18 or 19 wins on the year.  3rd time in 8 seasons with win totals in the teens.  Hakstol’s WORST season was 2012-2013 with 22 wins. 

Perhaps he can be coaxed out of his NHL gig and come back here and when he doesn't win a national title the name on this thread can be changed and we can go back 10 or 12 years and call for Hakstols firing all over.  Am I the only person thats sees a never ending pattern here?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely some nuance, but consistency is a big deal in college sports. At its core, if a program is consistently over .500, they are AT LEAST in the mix. UND has been in the mix for 21 years. Totally understand there's more to that, but it's not a bad thing to be above .500 for this long. It really is quite impressive.

I agree it is impressive and I would say an important metric. Different people put different values into different things, so it would be unfair to discount that. What I would say is currently his season would be a pretty big failure. For a program like UND, you need to at minimum make the NCAA tournament or I would call it unsuccessful, even if you happen to finish a few games above .500. Good news, things are still in play to turn it around. I hope we see it!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 1966guy said:

Perhaps he can be coaxed out of his NHL gig and come back here and when he doesn't win a national title the name on this thread can be changed and we can go back 10 or 12 years and call for Hakstols firing all over.  Am I the only person thats sees a never ending pattern here?

No, but you along with the local media (or media adjacent) might be the only people that feel like finishing a game over .500 somehow equals a successful season for a program like UND. 

I do understand why @Goon would leave it here though. We saw what happened to Brandt on Saturday night when he was critical of the teams play on Friday. Big mistake, Berry doesn't do criticism. Media better get in line. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, AJS said:

No, but you along with the local media (or media adjacent) might be the only people that feel like finishing a game over .500 somehow equals a successful season for a program like UND. 

I do understand why @Goon would leave it here though. We saw what happened to Brandt on Saturday night when he was critical of the teams play on Friday. Big mistake, Berry doesn't do criticism. Media better get in line. 

C'mon, man. I think @Goon did that because he believes this program isn't in a bad place as some others do. Why the shot?

None of us actually know what was going on between Jake and Berry. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

C'mon, man. @Goon did that because he believes this program isn't in a bad place as some others do. Why the shot?

None of us actually know what was going on between Jake and Berry. 

C'mon man everybody here has the answers to everything whether they are true, hypothetical or completely fabricated.  People don't understand there are plenty of quality programs and all those programs are working towards the same goal.

It's a never ending cycle of calling for coaches heads on a platter.  Hockey, football, basketball.  It doesn't matter.  Coach Bernhard may be the only safe coach on campus but look out if they dont win the tournament their in this weekend all bets are off!!

Plenty of complaints but very few answers from what I've read.  The 

last post I read apparently a 20 win season is the new goal post until that's moved again.

4 hours ago, 1966guy said:

This sums it all up.  This alone should close this thread.  

Nope, I don't think this "sums it up" at all.

The new standard for our program is being above .500? I reject that 100%. I would rather have high standards that aren't always met than low standards that are easy to meet. Does that mean more disappointment and frustration on this forum? Yes it does. But it makes years like 2016 all the more sweet.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Goon said:

I’ll throw this tweet here. good night. 

we are 10-10-4 in conference play, let not get too excited with having a "winning season". You think blue chip programs in other sports are happy with having just a "winning season"

• Upvote 3

Just now, siouxkid12 said:

we are 10-10-4 in conference play, let not get too excited with having a "winning season". You think blue chip programs in other sports are happy with having just a "winning season"

Nick Saban wouldn't have his job for long if the Crimson Tide started settling for "winning seasons".

• Upvote 3

Basically everyone wants it all - winning seasons, home playoff games, conference championships, national championships.  Every year.  While on paper it seems all that should be achievable perpetually, reality doesn't work like paper.  That's what makes sports fun - play the game and see what happens.  Historically, stack UND up against literally any other college hockey program, no matter which metric you pick, UND will likely be better.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

The truth is, I'm actually in the camp where I don't feel this program is in as bad of a place as some. Recruiting has been solid and the pipeline looks good. As for the shot. My frustration has been with the media has been with what I call the spin. You'll never see any push back or criticism. Never any tough questions. It's so weak. On the flip side the little bit of criticism we saw from the TV crew, we saw the reaction, so maybe I understand why you don't see it. 

I'm going to excuse myself from this conversation. I'm very excited for Friday night and going to keep it positive as I would love nothing more than this team to go on a run that wipes out the negativity this year has caused. It can still happen!

I would agree with you on the media. Brad and company never push the buttons like they should, its just status quo all the time. When Tim, Jake or Alex start criticizing (just a little bit) the "real fans" lose their mind.
What I do not agree with you is in the shape of the program. Last few years we have been relying on transfer players and we have not had a legit goalie to help us and it doesn't look like we will for a little bit either.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Basically everyone wants it all - winning seasons, home playoff games, conference championships, national championships.  Every year.  While on paper it seems all that should be achievable perpetually, reality doesn't work like paper.  That's what makes sports fun - play the game and see what happens.  Historically, stack UND up against literally any other college hockey program, no matter which metric you pick, UND will likely be better.

Michigan, Denver are two programs that are better than us.