SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

On 6/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, SWSiouxMN said:

If you are that playoff team, you take care of business against these teams (Drake, @ Poly, @ ISU*, SUU, UNC)

and defend the home turf (UC Davis, MSU, SHSU)

There is your 8 wins.

Things can change in a hurry that can make difficult schedules perhaps a little easier. 

Now steal one of these three (@ NDSU, @ Weber, @ EWU), then you have some insurance in case you slip up somewhere or you end up with a real nice seed.

You probably can get away with winning 2 out of the 3 showdown games at home and still make the playoffs, provided you take care of business against those other 5 teams. 

*For once, can you pound ISU 

Thought I'd look back at this, pretty much followed this plan to a T.... minus not following my instructions about ISU.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, coltssiouxfan said:

So how much do you think Chaves gave to get a first round home game? And do you think it was more than SDSU or ISU?

SDSU does not draw well late in the year, even with their much larger venue than ours. So they could have put in a conservative bid. It could be possible for the Rabbits to play here, then is could be possible, well I won't go there? 11:30, can't wait.

• Upvote 1

Listened to the postgame show on the way home from game. They interviewed Evan Holm. He talked about “playing for the seniors” & “playing for them” yesterday. They didn’t ask him directly about his plans, but the way he spoke makes me think he is planning on coming back next year & finished for this year. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Westside said:

Listened to the postgame show on the way home from game. They interviewed Evan Holm. He talked about “playing for the seniors” & “playing for them” yesterday. They didn’t ask him directly about his plans, but the way he spoke makes me think he is planning on coming back next year & finished for this year. 

Pretty sure he can play 1 more game and still redshirt. 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:21 PM, zonadub said:

Have you checked the FCS SRS rankings?

UND is #38

It’s a long climb to the top 20 against #106, even if you step on their throat.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

Here is this year's SRS rankings:  https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

UND in at #23

EDIT:  Looks like they still have the year wrong, but the date (November 24th) and UND"s ranking is changed so I assume that it's this years ranking. 

Definitely some ups and downs to this season, but the team is about where most of us thought it would be preseason....7-4 and in the playoffs.  Schmidt did a great job patching together a DLine, Oline improved throughout the year and fought through some injuries, Freund overall was a huge improvement from Rudy and Kett improved throughout the season.  Hosting a 1st round playoff game would have been optimal, but if we can beat Nichols State, I'll always take 2 shots at Moo U.

• Upvote 3

Best thing about this season, IMO, has been Freunds success in his first season at OC.  The offense has gotten better and better, and the guys that are playing were recruited for a different style of offense.  I really love his enthusiasm, and his football IQ.  Really hope this staff can become more successful so that Freund can step in for Bubba when he retires.  Freund just seems to have "it", and I think he could be a good coach here that could stick around.  Props to Faison (I'd guess) for not canning him when Muss and his assistants were fired.

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Best thing about this season, IMO, has been Freunds success in his first season at OC.  The offense has gotten better and better, and the guys that are playing were recruited for a different style of offense.  I really love his enthusiasm, and his football IQ.  Really hope this staff can become more successful so that Freund can step in for Bubba when he retires.  Freund just seems to have "it", and I think he could be a good coach here that could stick around.  Props to Faison (I'd guess) for not canning him when Muss and his assistants were fired.

It helps when UND is part of your name :)

• Upvote 2

It seems like Freund has called a good offense this year.  Like everyone, very happy with that development.  What I can't understand is why our defense bends so much before they finally stiffen up.  I figured Schmidt would have his recruits playing defense like when Schmidt out there himself.

23 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

So do you dress him this weekend, but try not to play him and save his for NDSU if possible?

You could make a good case for either. I’m sure they’ll figure out their plan after watching a lot of film. Without watching any film and knowing enough about the opponent, aka a worthless opinion, I’d play him this week. We need to win our first playoff game ever, absolutely need to.

• Upvote 1

Here's a question that I know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway:

Zimmerman redshirted at EWU in 2015.
He went to a JC in 2016. 
He appeared in four games for UND in 2017.
He appeared in six games for UND in 2018. 

He's only appeared in three games in 2019 before he went down with an injury. 

Any chance he could get a sixth year of eligibility? (I know, I know, slim and none and slim left town. Sixth years are like double-eagles in golf.) 

That said, it would be nice to have another QB that knows the system next year. 

Otherwise it's Schuster, Grover, and gut ache. 

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Here's a question that I know the answer to, but I'll ask anyway:

Zimmerman redshirted at EWU in 2015.
He went to a JC in 2016. 
He appeared in four games for UND in 2017.
He appeared in six games for UND in 2018. 

He's only appeared in three games in 2019 before he went down with an injury. 

Any chance he could get a sixth year of eligibility? (I know, I know, slim and none and slim left town. Sixth years are like double-eagles in golf.) 

That said, it would be nice to have another QB that knows the system next year. 

Otherwise it's Schuster, Grover, and gut ache. 

More likely to get another transfer or FBS dropdown than get Zim another year, IMO.

• Like 1