SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

How many games do our top true freshman have left.  We haven't burned any have we.  Has Skokna played 2...or 3 games?  Would be nice to save him for the playoffs.  How many have Fort and Cochran played? 

Caleb Nelson is over, he's played in 7 including last Saturday. Skokna is at 3 (including last Saturday). The others I couldn't recall if they played or not against Weber, so these totals are going into last Saturday. Fort 4 (played in first four and has been shut down since), Beach 3, Cochran 3, Moore 2, Pierre 1, Schuster 1.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

Holm is planning to play next year. 

So I wonder does he play last 2 games of season and shut it down even if they make playoffs or sit next 2 games and play up to 2 games in playoffs.  I'm guessing he playes next 2 games and sits for playoffs.  

15 minutes ago, Big Green said:

So I wonder does he play last 2 games of season and shut it down even if they make playoffs or sit next 2 games and play up to 2 games in playoffs.  I'm guessing he playes next 2 games and sits for playoffs.  

If I knew I was for sure coming back the next year, I'd skip this weeks game and see if we win.  Should we get upset and lose, then I'd play the last week.  I'd save at least one if not two games for the playoffs if it were me.  It would be hard to sit on the sidelines for a playoff game!

• Upvote 2

Weird to think that if we would have beat Weber.....and then the last two, that we'd have a good case for a top 8 seed.  Yet with that loss, even if we win the next two convincingly......there is a possibility we could be completely left out.  Ugh selection Sunday is going to be a nerve racking day! (Assuming we win the next two of course) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think he got dinged against Weber if I remember correctly. Still waiting on Skokna to show some elusiveness. Some shake. He showed that on film but hasn’t so far this year.

Gee came off the field early in the game looking like a shoulder was hurting.  I don't remember him playing after that.

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Dumb as it is, this helps our narrative.

yes it does.  We just need the right teams to help.  MSU, SHSU and UCD.   This week pull for MSU to beat UCD and Weber to beat Griz,   Next week pull for MSU against Griz and UCD against Sac St.

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

This is a good Listen.  

Is there any place to see the SRS computer rankings?  That's seem to be a key piece to selecting the field.

As stated, they aren't released until the end of the season but below is the criteria that goes into it.

Some notes:
-Losing road games is not as bad as losing home games, counting as -0.75 instead of -1.25. Making it through the year with no home losses would be a positive for UND along with picking up a road win in Cal Poly.
-Margin of victory is factored in, however it is capped at 21. 
-SOS will play a part. Both Massey and Sagarin have UND's SOS ranked fairly high (#7 and #9) respectively. Probably a fair guess that SRS would show something similar.

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will use the NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) as a tool for evaluating teams for selection into the 24-team championship.
The NCAA SRS is a ranking system used to gauge team quality. Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).

A team’s SOS measure is simply the average NCAA SRS rating of that team’s opponents for the season.

A team’s WL measure factors whether a game was won or lost; the location of the game (home/away/neutral site); and the NCAA (sub)division of the opponent.

1. In a game between two FCS teams played at a neutral site, the winning team gets one point and the losing team loses one point.

2. In a game between two FCS teams played at a non-neutral site, a home win counts 0.75 for the home team and -0.75 for the losing team. A road team win counts 1.25 for the visiting team and -1.25 for the home team. In other words, there is a bonus/penalty of +/- 0.25 for the home/away teams depending on the outcome.

3. An additional bonus/penalty of +/- 0.1 is added/deducted for games that FCS teams play against FBS/non-Division I opponents. For instance, a home FCS win against a Division II opponent counts only as +0.65 points (0.75 for a home win - 0.1 penalty for playing a Division II opponent). In addition, a road FCS win against an FBS opponent counts +1.35 points for the FCS team (1.25 points for a road win + 0.1 bonus for beating an FBS opponent).

4. The WL measure is then doubled to equalize the contributions of the WL factor and SOS factor toward a team’s NCAA SRS rating.

5. Margin of victory will be factored into a team’s NCAA SRS rating. This component is capped at 21 points.

The teams’ ratings are independent in that one team’s rating depends on its opponents’ ratings, which depend on their opponents’ ratings, etc., based on the “network” of college football games played each week during the football season. The NCAA SRS will also standardize the data in order to equalize the variance in total number of games played (i.e., 11 or 12 regular-season games).

Games against Division III or non-NCAA opponents are not factored into any team’s NCAA SRS rating.

The time of the season in which a game is played (early-season versus late-season games) is also not factored into a team’s NCAA SRS rating.

The NCAA SRS will not “force select” any teams into the championship; rather, it is one of several resources that the Division I Football Championship Committee will have at its disposal when debating the merits of teams under consideration for championship selection.
The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will begin reviewing NCAA SRS data during the later portion of the football season as it prepares for championship selections. At that time, NCAA SRS rankings may also be posted on the NCAA website (www.ncaa.com/fcs).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

yes it does.  We just need the right teams to help.  MSU, SHSU and UCD.   This week pull for MSU to beat UCD and Weber to beat Griz,   Next week pull for MSU against Griz and UCD against Sac St.

All of these games will be important to shape how we look, but I really hope Weber can beat Montana.  Montana is tough at home......if Weber gets beat by 10-15 that quickly takes some luster off our near win last week.  If Weber goes in and beats Montana at their place, makes our game against them look even better.