SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

I will continue to choose to have fun this season. Not always easy when things don’t go as I want.

I will still be disappointed when we don’t play well. Still disappointed when breaks don’t go our way. Still disappointed when we lose.

I would appreciate it if we start winning more games and play playoff games sooner than later though.

I am not smart enough to know how many games we will win this year. Nothing wrong about being disappointed if we only win 4-5-6. Life goes on and next year comes around. 

Wow - I just completely lowered my expectations for this year after reading the posts.

I did get my season tickets Saturday!

:)

32 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I will continue to choose to have fun this season. Not always easy when things don’t go as I want.

I will still be disappointed when we don’t play well. Still disappointed when breaks don’t go our way. Still disappointed when we lose.

I would appreciate it if we start winning more games and play playoff games sooner than later though.

I am not smart enough to know how many games we will win this year. Nothing wrong about being disappointed if we only win 4-5-6. Life goes on and next year comes around. 

Wow - I just completely lowered my expectations for this year after reading the posts.

I did get my season tickets Saturday!

:)

This is one of the things holding back this program. Low expectations do not breed excellence or success.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

If you mean lower expectations by players, coaches and administration then yes. An opinion by a fan on a message board carries a factor of zero.

I actually think expectations of fans are just as important. Look at fan bases that expect success, they usually have teams that achieve. It’s kind of a chicken or the egg situation.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Fresh meat at qb for teh AC this year. His second career start will come against the Mighty Fighting Hawks. I look forward to Schmidt making his head spin.

Will see, we have had a hard time stopping mobile QBs in the past 

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

I actually think expectations of fans are just as important. Look at fan bases that expect success, they usually have teams that achieve. It’s kind of a chicken or the egg situation.

Does our collective expectation seep into the locker room? Can it be felt by the coaches? I'd agree that a healthy crowd greeting the players as they hop off the bus pre-game may give some signal of fan expectations and interest, but I'd have to be convinced it affects their game effort.

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Fresh meat at qb for teh AC this year. His second career start will come against the Mighty Fighting Hawks. I look forward to Schmidt making his head spin.

was thinking the same thing....it's schmiddy v trey.  make that young qb question everything he sees at the line and bring the heat from every possible angle and position!!!!!!!1

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Keep him in the pocket

Spy him

He does have a great arm but his legs are his greatest weapon.

• Upvote 2

We won't know until the games actually start, but I'm some what surprised at the confidence level of some on this board. On one hand, I get it, based on past results. Can't blame for some to be hesitant as most seasons things haven't broken the way we've wanted it. They've been close and have shown flashes, but one thing or another has happened and left this team on the outside looking in.

Looking at this years team, there are a couple things I'm confident in.

1. Offensively, this will be the most complete, well balanced they have been under Bubba. Equal parts the personnel / new offensive philosophy. Playing to not only their strengths, but also to the opponents weaknesses. I'm not saying they'll be an elite offensive team, but they should be a very, very good unit. I think it will be shocking what a really good offensive will mean to the rest of the team.
  2. Special Teams will be better. How much will be a big factor.
  3. The back 8 defensively will be very good. 

Things can change, depending on injuries of course, but right now, as everyone knows all eyes are on the defensive line. I think that's the only true question mark of this team, which when you look at how many components there are, is very encouraging. 

I still look back last year to the Weber State game. That was a team that finished as the #2 overall seed. Although they were better than UND, it wasn't as though they couldn't or didn't compete. Put this years offensive and how I believe they'll be able to play in that game and the result could be different. Overall, saying that although the schedule is tough, outside of one game, which I have a hard time believing they can win, no other game this team shouldn't have a realistic shot at winning. 

Side note: When looking at the D-line, it almost feels like expectations or fears about it have gone so far one way that there's no way they won't surprise. With what they have in the back 8, if they can hold their own, overall, the defense should be a very strong unit.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

We won't know until the games actually start, but I'm some what surprised at the confidence level of some on this board. On one hand, I get it, based on past results. Can't blame for some to be hesitant as most seasons things haven't broken the way we've wanted it. They've been close and have shown flashes, but one thing or another has happened and left this team on the outside looking in.

Looking at this years team, there are a couple things I'm confident in.

1. Offensively, this will be the most complete, well balanced they have been under Bubba. Equal parts the personnel / new offensive philosophy. Playing to not only their strengths, but also to the opponents weaknesses. I'm not saying they'll be an elite offensive team, but they should be a very, very good unit. I think it will be shocking what a really good offensive will mean to the rest of the team.
  2. Special Teams will be better. How much will be a big factor.
  3. The back 8 defensively will be very good. 

Things can change, depending on injuries of course, but right now, as everyone knows all eyes are on the defensive line. I think that's the only true question mark of this team, which when you look at how many components there are, is very encouraging. 

I still look back last year to the Weber State game. That was a team that finished as the #2 overall seed. Although they were better than UND, it wasn't as though they couldn't or didn't compete. Put this years offensive and how I believe they'll be able to play in that game and the result could be different. Overall, saying that although the schedule is tough, outside of one game, which I have a hard time believing they can win, no other game this team shouldn't have a realistic shot at winning. 

Side note: When looking at the D-line, it almost feels like expectations or fears about it have gone so far one way that there's no way they won't surprise. With what they have in the back 8, if they can hold their own, overall, the defense should be a very strong unit.

why do you believe this?  we have gotten worse over the past half decade.

13 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Agreed on all aspects.  

I think more than anything .... Bubba needs to prove his weight this year.  Not sure how many coaches last 6 years with a .500 record?  He has some upsides.....he is the biggest fan of und football, great promoter for the program and is truly a stand up guy. I would love nothing more than for him to succeed and be the coach of und until he retires. However ....his ultra conservative game plan, offensively and special teams speaking, has to be predictable for the opposing coaches. Maybe freund will stray him from his tendencies? ST though?  But more than anything it’s the lack of in game adjustments across the board . Only when it’s too late does he try something “spicy”  For those who were around for Lennon.....you always anticipated great things for the second half.   More often than not his teams would be the ones to dictate the 2nd half.   Whether they were behind or leading  .....he coached up and adjusted accordingly.  He would also throw in an occasional fake on special teams. Novel idea! That just never happens now. Special teams, IMO, is the biggest momentum swinger on the field.  So many ways to catch the opposing team off guard and exploit the unexpected if properly executed. Especially if the offense is unable to anything as was the case for many years. It also shows  the players you have faith in the them. 

There is talent on this team. There is experience on this team. There is a new OC on this team. There is a new OL coach and direction on this team.  No better way to shut me up than to beat a handful of top 10 teams.  

You have summed up Bubba to a T.  We all like him and want him to succeed - He bleeds green.  However, his ultra conservative nature often gets in his way.  I will begrudgingly concede that his in-game decisions (although the first half punt vs Washington made me furious) have a theme to them - even though I disagree with most of them.  It is his unwillingness to make other changes that drags us down.  Non-existent half time changes, hanging on to Rudy for 5 years, continued special team disasters, etc etc.  Everything seems set in stone - we will run a 3-4 (a workable defense that was put into place to stop the Bison option) regardless of the strength of our D line for example.  In my opinion, the main way we can be dominant again is if his absolute devotion to our program translates into recruiting dominant monster lines on both sides of the ball.  Then he can indulge in all of his conservative approaches and it will probably fit our team very well.  Lacking that I worry.  The best thing that could happen this year is that he turns all offensive decisions over to the O coordinator.  

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, shep said:

Does our collective expectation seep into the locker room? Can it be felt by the coaches? I'd agree that a healthy crowd greeting the players as they hop off the bus pre-game may give some signal of fan expectations and interest, but I'd have to be convinced it affects their game effort.

Our collective expectations have an impact on administration and donors. If they sense the fan base doesn't care if the team contends for championships or not, it will have a negative affect on decisions made (whether to keep a coach or not, whether to donate to the program or not). Our attitudes have more of an impact that most people realize.

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Apparently you haven't heard, but Joe Protheroe didn't get a 7th year of eligibility.

that’s good (he was tough), CA night games aren’t easy, hope I’m wrong, like I said, 7 wins are possible, but last year and last several years leave me in doubt

44 minutes ago, Stand4Anthem said:

that’s good (he was tough), CA night games aren’t easy, hope I’m wrong, like I said, 7 wins are possible, but last year and last several years leave me in doubt

We < bleeped > them in a Cali night game in 2015. Didn’t bother that team one bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

Yes, I believe it does. From the sideline the players can feel the energy of the fans. When a team makes one mistake and the fans react with the “here we go again” groan it deflated people. NDSU is a great example. Their fans are over the top with expectations of greatness.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why do you believe this?  we have gotten worse over the past half decade.

Going from True Freshman to Sophomores at LS, Kicker and Punter will help. Each improved as the year went along last year. I still think the most crucial aspect is if either Leach or the new kicker can kick it into the end zone this year. I was encouraged that Kostich touched on that point in one of the articles earlier this month. Talking about Leach having an inconsistent build up (?) to his kick offs and how that affected his distance. 

22 minutes ago, AJS said:

Going from True Freshman to Sophomores at LS, Kicker and Punter will help. Each improved as the year went along last year. I still think the most crucial aspect is if either Leach or the new kicker can kick it into the end zone this year. I was encouraged that Kostich touched on that point in one of the articles earlier this month. Talking about Leach having an inconsistent build up (?) to his kick offs and how that affected his distance. 

so no one noticed this during the season last year and corrected it....seems like nothing has been corrected since kotitsch came on board.

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We < bleeped > them in a Cali night game in 2015. Didn’t bother that team one bit.

Guessing the 2015 outcome won’t have much impact this year, just like losing at home to Idaho St. last year hopefully doesn’t mean a loss on the road this year—slice it anyway you want but the Hawks need to produce wins to convince me they are moving in the right direction

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so no one noticed this during the season last year and corrected it....seems like nothing has been corrected since kotitsch came on board.

As sad as this is, I was just relieved that kicking it to the 10 and having the opponent run it back to the 40 wasn't by design! 

4 minutes ago, Stand4Anthem said:

Guessing the 2015 outcome won’t have much impact this year, just like losing at home to Idaho St. last year hopefully doesn’t mean a loss on the road this year—slice it anyway you want but the Hawks need to produce wins to convince me they are moving in the right direction

So is the Cali night game a problem or not? You said it was but I disagree and offered evidence.