SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He’s usually not mr sunshine with his predictions.

True, although to be fair our Football Team has under performed compared to fan predictions and expectations for a good 10 years now including last year. Part of this is the usually optimistic nature of most fan bases before the season starts. Time for a break-out season.

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Pretty pessimistic attitude from Mr. Miller overall. 6-5 finish, this guy isn't ready, that guy isn't eligible, two more are injured and on the shelf, no QB ready to play for next year, blah, blah, blah. I certainly hope the team is better off than that.

Just his opinion.  He is entitled to an opinion like everyone else. Not sure you can call it pessimist.  Until they prove otherwise....und is under .500 win percentage in the d1 era. So a 6-5 record ups the average .   Add to that they have the toughest schedule in the  FCS......all factors in his decision.  

BTW....I think he has done a great job this year of covering the football team .  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Just his opinion.  He is entitled to an opinion like everyone else. Not sure you can call it pessimist.  Until they prove otherwise....und is under .500 win percentage in the d1 era. So a 6-5 record ups the average .   Add to that they have the toughest schedule in the  FCS......all factors in his decision.  

BTW....I think he has done a great job this year of covering the football team .  

Sure he's entitled to it. And I am entitled to disagree with him. He makes it sound like the program has one foot in the grave, which I think is a little premature to assume. If all we get is the same old slop as last year, it may be time to make a change at the top (and I am not talking about Schmidt either).

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Sure he's entitled to it. And I am entitled to disagree with him. He makes it sound like the program has one foot in the grave, which I think is a little premature to assume. If all we get is the same old slop as last year, it may be time to make a change at the top (and I am not talking about Schmidt either).

Id rather he report what he thinks is accurate rather than make homer predictions and assessments.  He's the NEWS, not a cheerleader.  Whats the point of reading him otherwise? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm in the 7-4 boat.  I think they surprise one of the teams they aren't supposed to beat and then have an ISU or Montana State loss.  

Although, I'd take 1-10 if they beat NDSU in Fargo. :lol:

I don't get the 1-10 remark.   I'd be fine with 10-1 and the 1 loss was to NDSU, even by 40.   NDSU is just one team and one game.    The big picture says we need to make the playoffs and then roll when we get there.   We measure improvements by post season results, not a victory over some mythical program, even if they are the hated enemy.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

I don't get the 1-10 remark.   I'd be fine with 10-1 and the 1 loss was to NDSU, even by 40.   NDSU is just one team and one game.    The big picture says we need to make the playoffs and then roll when we get there.   We measure improvements by post season results, not a victory over some mythical program, even if they are the hated enemy.

Agreed, as much as I would love to beat NDSU, I am more concerned with having a good season and getting into the playoffs and doing something.

1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

The smiley face was supposed to make it a joke.  I'll keep humor out of it I guess.

Re Miller's prediction: What I like about Miller / 360 guys is they call it like they see it, which I’ll take over cheerleading and being borderline unrealistic all day. 

I reread his reasoning of 6-5 and it did appear to lean to the pessimistic although very vague, especially the couple key injuries line. Obviously a very true statement, but it’s kind of weird taking something into account that hasn’t happened yet or might not happen. Most people lean to the optimistic, he doesn’t appear to. 

His coverage has been great so far! How about the lack of coverage by UND? Last year they had write ups after every day. That hasn’t happened once. Roster isn’t even updated. 

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Id rather he report what he thinks is accurate rather than make homer predictions and assessments.  He's the NEWS, not a cheerleader.  Whats the point of reading him otherwise? 

I think Tom does a great job.  I would much rather have someone who provides an accurate assessment based on what he knows than listen to a lickspittle toady like say Dom Izzo.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The smiley face was supposed to make it a joke.  I'll keep humor out of it I guess.

Sorry for taking it wrong way.    I'm a little too determined to get into the playoffs to really care about NDSU I guess.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I don't want cheerleading. But I also don't want doom and gloom click bait either. He says this is the deepest team in the Bubba era and then predicts a 6-5 finish. If he is accurate with his predictions, this program is not going in the direction it should be going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't want cheerleading. But I also don't want doom and gloom click bait either. He says this is the deepest team in the Bubba era and then predicts a 6-5 finish. If he is accurate with his predictions, this program is not going in the direction it should be going.

I, along with everyone, hope we are better than 6-5.  I love our increased athleticism.  However, given our schedule and question marks predicting a 6-5 record is certainly not doom and gloom click bait.  Can our D line hold up?  Will the new offense give us what we are expecting?  Can Ketteringham recover from his second half regression?  Can we go through a season without losing a game to a blocked punt?  Can we escape this season relatively injury free?  Can we handle the toughest schedule in our division week after week?  If things break right we could make a playoff run.  However, we are a .500 club under Bubba so far with one playoff game in 5 years (and that ended in a second half debacle of spectacular proportions).  After this season we should absolutely know if this program is going in the right direction.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Irish said:

I, along with everyone, hope we are better than 6-5.  I love our increased athleticism.  However, given our schedule and question marks predicting a 6-5 record is certainly not doom and gloom click bait.  Can our D line hold up?  Will the new offense give us what we are expecting?  Can Ketteringham recover from his second half regression?  Can we go through a season without losing a game to a blocked punt?  Can we escape this season relatively injury free?  Can we handle the toughest schedule in our division week after week?  If things break right we could make a playoff run.  However, we are a .500 club under Bubba so far with one playoff game in 5 years (and that ended in a second half debacle of spectacular proportions).  After this season we should absolutely know if this program is going in the right direction.

Agreed on all aspects.  

I think more than anything .... Bubba needs to prove his weight this year.  Not sure how many coaches last 6 years with a .500 record?  He has some upsides.....he is the biggest fan of und football, great promoter for the program and is truly a stand up guy. I would love nothing more than for him to succeed and be the coach of und until he retires. However ....his ultra conservative game plan, offensively and special teams speaking, has to be predictable for the opposing coaches. Maybe freund will stray him from his tendencies? ST though?  But more than anything it’s the lack of in game adjustments across the board . Only when it’s too late does he try something “spicy”  For those who were around for Lennon.....you always anticipated great things for the second half.   More often than not his teams would be the ones to dictate the 2nd half.   Whether they were behind or leading  .....he coached up and adjusted accordingly.  He would also throw in an occasional fake on special teams. Novel idea! That just never happens now. Special teams, IMO, is the biggest momentum swinger on the field.  So many ways to catch the opposing team off guard and exploit the unexpected if properly executed. Especially if the offense is unable to anything as was the case for many years. It also shows  the players you have faith in the them. 

There is talent on this team. There is experience on this team. There is a new OC on this team. There is a new OL coach and direction on this team.  No better way to shut me up than to beat a handful of top 10 teams.  

2019 game by game prediction

biggest concerns are the new offense/offensive and defensive lines, the latter is very much a bigger problem if the offense  can not control the clock (running spread is not typicallly a clock friendly system)

Drake—should be a win, might be closer than most expect, but a 20 pt win is possible as well—1-0

NDSU—L—won’t go into much detail but this will be a tough test for the offense & probably not much easier for the defense—1-1

Sammy—can’t have any emotional let down after NDSU game—will be a fairly close game but I’m going with a W—-2-1

EWU—L—-Eagles are going to be 1 of the 2 best teams in the BIG SKY—2–2

UCD—L—same as above—2–3

Idaho St.—-lost at home last year, this is on the road, should have won last year, must win this one—will find a way to pull this one out 3-3

Cal Poly—west coast night game, on paper it should be a win, this is the start of the gloom for 2019, L—-3–4

MSU—L—-Bobcats will win a close battle—3-5

Weber—L—3-6—they are currently better, just like EWU & UCD

UNC & SU—-both wins, UND is better and at home—-season finish 5-6

Flame away but remember the Hawks won 0 games last year against playoff teams & this years schedule is not easy (NDSU, EWU, UCD, Weber) are 4 losses in my opinion, the rest of the games are winnable but need to prove themselves before I consider a more promising outcome. I predicted 6-5 last year (but had 4 games wrong overall), 7-4 would be the best case scenario and an improvement, anything less is a neutral or backwards step in 2019

9 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Mine must be by Pony Express.  Hopefully they arrive today.

You got the runt carrier pigeon.
He can only carry one ticket at a time and for just a half-mile.
Then he goes back and gets the next ticket.
Repeat. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You got the runt carrier pigeon.
He can only carry one ticket at a time and for just a half-mile.
Then he goes back and gets the next ticket.
Repeat. 

Damn.  I hope the weather stays nice.  Only 2 weeks until gameday and 8 tickets to deliver.