SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

Being an outsider, I thought it was interesting that 3 out of 4 Dakota schools will be replacing their OC's. SDSU and NDSU replacing their DC's also. Was curious what your expectations are for Freund's offense? Will schemes, formations and philosophies be similar to Rudolph? Just better play calling and game planning? Or are you expecting drastic changes?

I know former UND OC, Schleusner is in the mix at SDSU for OC job along with their OL coach Eck. 

Just seems like a lot of turnover at key coaching positions for the four rival schools. Be interesting to see how they do.

Thoughts on UND's end with Freund?

11 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Being an outsider, I thought it was interesting that 3 out of 4 Dakota schools will be replacing their OC's. SDSU and NDSU replacing their DC's also. Was curious what your expectations are for Freund's offense? Will schemes, formations and philosophies be similar to Rudolph? Just better play calling and game planning? Or are you expecting drastic changes?

I know former UND OC, Schleusner is in the mix at SDSU for OC job along with their OL coach Eck. 

Just seems like a lot of turnover at key coaching positions for the four rival schools. Be interesting to see how they do.

Variety and willingness to adapt a little (or a lot) to maximize talent and what the defense is giving.  Rudolph was a great guy but his offense was very vanilla and predictable. 

Freund is young and will take some lumps but my hope is the offense looks a lot different than last season. We don’t have the skill set up front to run what Rudolph wanted to run. 

1 hour ago, Tolna said:

Chuck the pigskin baby!

Regarding our new d-line coach...

"Holinka spent three seasons (2015-17) at Winona State as Special Teams Coordinator and linebackers coach. He helped lead the Warriors to a 10-2 record in 2017 and an NCAA playoff berth with WSU ranked first in the NSIC in punt returns, kick returns and kick coverage. In 2016 Winona State ranked second nationally in punt return and sixth in blocked kicks. "

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Tolna said:

I'm a homer, I'll say we should of won a couple more games last season. You won all yours, so congratulations. Gulp.

Definitely a few I29 coaching changes. You with the most?

Ruddy just couldn't get it together and it seemed like the players were slowly losing confidence in him. A lot involved here with his complicated offense, yet so so many predictable simple plays with a run up the gut. Didn't seem like game adjustments were in the playbook. I don't think we will fully understand the jest of his shortcomings until we see what changes can successfully be made.

There seems to be much optimism from the locals, but not really from the trolls. 

We'll probably be an improved team but not a top team. We missed the playoffs last year, and should get in this year, of course with a few breaks. The potential is there.  A few new coaches with different ideas, I see improvement. That in turn will help the defense, which by the way will also be stronger. Special teams will improve, as will our depth, so that will also help. All making for a playoff caliber team.

Freund?    =   Free UND.  The offense will move freely.
He will mix it up, more short and long passes. There will be a running game empowered by unpredictable and sometimes pretty bold play calling. C U Sept. 7.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

Regarding our new d-line coach...

"Holinka spent three seasons (2015-17) at Winona State as Special Teams Coordinator and linebackers coach. He helped lead the Warriors to a 10-2 record in 2017 and an NCAA playoff berth with WSU ranked first in the NSIC in punt returns, kick returns and kick coverage. In 2016 Winona State ranked second nationally in punt return and sixth in blocked kicks. "

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

New ST Coordinator as well?!?

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

It appears we have more special teams type talent and depth for 2019.  Not only multiple kickers and punters, but the jimmies and the joes running down the field.  That alone will make us better.

Our kicking especially on kickoffs were atrocious, the ball never got close to the end zone, so I’m glad to hear we got more depth. 

6 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Our kicking especially on kickoffs were atrocious, the ball never got close to the end zone, so I’m glad to hear we got more depth. 

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I recall celebrating one of our few touchbacks last season :D

If one of them can kick it in the end zone every time, that'd be worth a scholarship by itself. It would single handily fix a huge disadvantage they've had. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

https://undfootball360.com/news/five-spring-ball-storylines/

"This tells us guys like Cam McKinney, who possesses devastating burst and speed will be playing in the backfield more with the losses of Brady Oliveira and John Santiago. McKinney offers an outstanding compliment to senior James Johannesson’s bruising, straight-ahead style. Mikey Griebel is another guy that could end up playing some running back, as well."

Offensive line play will be simplified with only a few calls/concepts and will be a zone-blocking scheme.

Less is more. And I'm very happy to read that. 

Think Freund and Chris Kuper (played in arguably the best zone blocking scheme with Denver Broncos) have been chatting? 

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I need a little UND football talk today.  I haven’t heard any discouraging comments lately. New year with high hopes.

I also would appreciate some football news and discussion. That makes two of us that haven’t hear any bad vibes about players leaving or new injuries. Seems like we got a couple players back with positive rulings from the ncaa.

I too am pumped for the coming year! Hopefully we can get all our players to optimum weights.