SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

10 hours ago, nodak651 said:

SHSU landed a former 4 star transfer running back from Texas.  Guessing we get to watch him when they come up here.  https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Toneil-Carter-80221/RecruitInterests/

Good, will make SHSU a better team so when we beat them it will look more impressive come playoff time.  :) 

• Upvote 2

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:31 AM, sioux24/7 said:

There will be a lot of this from this guy! Anyone who saw him knows what he brings.#1 Mckinney doesn't need to touch it to many times to be a game changer he has the it factor you cannot teach what he does naturally a chance is all he needs. He will open the game up for #31 and 89# The tight ends also will have some big games. The running game also will be something special. Don't sleep on McKinney! Hopefully he will be used in the return game. He will be an impact wasn't used at all like he should've been. Its a new season 2019 If the Quarterback play comes around because you do have talent at the position just a little hands on coaching is all that's needed, No doubt UND go deep into playoffs. I also predict a victory over North Dakota State. Fan 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jack Dean said:

There will be a lot of this from this guy! Anyone who saw him knows what he brings.#1 Mckinney doesn't need to touch it to many times to be a game changer he has the it factor you cannot teach what he does naturally a chance is all he needs. He will open the game up for #31 and 89# The tight ends also will have some big games. The running game also will be something special. Don't sleep on McKinney! Hopefully he will be used in the return game. He will be an impact wasn't used at all like he should've been. Its a new season 2019 If the Quarterback play comes around because you do have talent at the position just a little hands on coaching is all that's needed, No doubt UND go deep into playoffs. I also predict a victory over North Dakota State. Fan 

McKinney might be a player that could benefit most from the new OC.  He will Get a chance to do something besides the jet screen!  Danny is gonna get the ball to skill in space and I can't wait.

• Like 1

How are these assessments? Looking at each positional group in '19 compared to '18: First '19 projection, second '18 grade:

QB: 6 / 5: Return everyone, so it won't be worse. With a new OC, comes a new system and a new QB competition. 

RB: 7 / 8: UND loses the best tandem in school history, Oliveria was dominant last year, Santiago unfortunately was hurt most season. This should still be a position of strength with JJ, Weah, London and Gordon moving back. Still deep and talented.

OLine: 8 / 6: Lose one starter, but return 6 guys who I'd consider "starters". The depth is finally starting to build with this unit and they start out with a fantastic base. Six guys returning that have played big minutes is crucial. It's reasonable to expect a handful of guys who weren't part of that 6 to be ready for minutes this year.

WR: 8 / 7 : Injuries really hurt this unit last year along with youth. Return everyone that played significant minutes. Have the experience with the big receivers (Wanzek, Toivonen, Maag), Adeoti gives them speed. Need a guy like Mckinney to take another step as he has big time speed. Guys like Greibel to get more comfortable with the offense.

TE / FB: Lose Fielder, but really tough to give an assessment since they were so under utilized.

Offense Overall: 8 / 6: It's tough to get over the last three games, but they were Ok before that. The biggest pro is the coaching change, that will make this offense (no other changes), better. I think there's a lot to like as far as player personnel goes. For starters, the O-Line will be improved, which helps out every other position. When looking at the QB / WR / O-Line you only lose one starter and minimal depth (1 O-Line / 1 WR - I'm not sure if Stiner played and Stanley barely played) in those 3 units combined. This new outlook should really help the QB position. You still have a really good RB unit. This really could be a good group. Is this the most overall depth they've had in the D1 era?

Safety: 8 / 7: Return everybody 

CB: 8 / 7: Lose Harris, which is a big loss, return two solid established players (Holm, Blubaugh). Holm is a potential all-conference guy this year (if UND was in a conference) and Blubaugh improved immensely his sophomore year. The depth should be better this year, they basically only went 3 deep last year. Siegel / Odom are highly regarded and both played their 4 games while keeping their RS. You add the Hawaii transfer to the mix. I'm not sure their roll next year, but they bring in the best Freshman CB tandem in school history with Fort / Nelson.

OLB: 7 / 6: Lose 1 starter (Palmborg), which is a big, but only loss. Turner is great, huge getting Haas back. Need Lawrence healthy.

ILB: 8 / 8: You return both starters, who are very good. Hunt as well, but lose your depth with 2 Seniors graduating. Need a couple others to step into those roles.

D-Line: 5 / 7: Bennett is a monster, will Ott be back to 100%? I'm not worried about the DE's, but there's a massive hole at NG. 

Defense Overall: 7 / 7: It all comes down to the NG position. Not worried at all about the secondary of the Linebackers. The DE's should be fine as well. They need to either get creative (possibly moving O-Lineman to NG), but it's a position where they don't have the size. They need one guy (if it's a drop down of JUCO), but ideally need two.

Special Teams: Overall, like that they've brought in as many kickers as they have. If one can find the end zone on kick offs, that'll do wonders for at least one aspect. 

• Upvote 4

I think our WRs were a 5 last year.  I would trade with several teams we faced last year.  I hope to be a 7 this year and the new O/C will help.

I would put our safeties at a 4 last year, hoping for a big jump this year, but at least need to be above average, or 6.

Offense overall last year with the Rudy Factor, Jon hurt, no TE game, and a diminishing QB, a 4.  

• Upvote 2

Talking about the Nose guard position, for those that know a lot more than me. In a 3 / 4 defense is weight the most important aspect? If so, what's the minimum a guy would need to be to be solid? If a guy is quick, could he still be effective at like 260? Were true freshman Beach 6'4" (260) / Pierre 6'3" (255) brought in to eventual be in the NG mold or DE's? Talent wise, those two are pretty highly regarded recruits, could they step in next year? How much weight do Seguin (260) and Morrison (250) have to put on before they could be looked at as legitimate starters? I know both played last year, but are undersized for that position. 

None special teams, is my assessment fair that nose guard is currently the #1 glaring issue on the roster next year? Not saying others don't need to improve, but you know what I mean. If so, could a four person tandem of Beach / Pierre / Seguin / Morrison be adequate? 

21 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Every time I see a write up about 2019 I get excited.  With what we have returning and some offensive ingenuity, the sky is the limit.

Even though the debacle at the end of the year last year happened, and how frustrating it was to watch......I'm SO glad we laid an egg at the end of the year.  If we would have just won one of those games we would have been in playoffs and I'd guess Rudy is still calling plays for us.  We were never going to be more than maybe a one win playoff team with him.  I waited for about 4-5 years for UND to play at NAU again since we didn't play them at NAU since 2013 I think.  Had looked forward to that game for so long and being able to see the team in person again.   Was such an ugly and embarrassment of a game, but I am now thankful for it.  

Last year we were somewhat excited because we thought we had a QB who could throw the deep ball better, it gave us a glimmer of hope for the offense.  Well this year we have some real reason to have some hope for our offense and almost the entire offense returning.  Most of the defense is returning, and we just seem to have better depth at almost every position than we've had in a while, minus NG.  Danny still has to prove himself as OC, but I certainly think there is reason for hope.  I'm going to wear my Kelly Green glasses all off season because I have to have hope for something better than what was, otherwise there is no point.  We do have a very tough schedule next year though and who knows we may only go .500, but I'm going to be excited for a few months while I can. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Even though the debacle at the end of the year last year happened, and how frustrating it was to watch......I'm SO glad we laid an egg at the end of the year.  If we would have just won one of those games we would have been in playoffs and I'd guess Rudy is still calling plays for us.  We were never going to be more than maybe a one win playoff team with him.  I waited for about 4-5 years for UND to play at NAU again since we didn't play them at NAU since 2013 I think.  Had looked forward to that game for so long and being able to see the team in person again.   Was such an ugly and embarrassment of a game, but I am now thankful for it.  

Last year we were somewhat excited because we thought we had a QB who could throw the deep ball better, it gave us a glimmer of hope for the offense.  Well this year we have some real reason to have some hope for our offense and almost the entire offense returning.  Most of the defense is returning, and we just seem to have better depth at almost every position than we've had in a while, minus NG.  Danny still has to prove himself as OC, but I certainly think there is reason for hope.  I'm going to wear my Kelly Green glasses all off season because I have to have hope for something better than what was, otherwise there is no point.  We do have a very tough schedule next year though and who knows we may only go .500, but I'm going to be excited for a few months while I can. 

NG may just screw our defense next year. We can’t expect success running a 3-4 without a couple legit minimum 290lb NG eating up blocks.

Every position has to be accounted for.

why can’t we just move a big offensive lineman over to ng?

I am sure it is overly simplistic and I don’t know what I don’t know 

isnt the job of the ng just to muck up the middle and make the offense use two men to block him? Does it take a long time to learn the position?

obviously I haven’t gone to football school 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:37 AM, AJS said:

Talking about the Nose guard position, for those that know a lot more than me. In a 3 / 4 defense is weight the most important aspect? If so, what's the minimum a guy would need to be to be solid? If a guy is quick, could he still be effective at like 260? Were true freshman Beach 6'4" (260) / Pierre 6'3" (255) brought in to eventual be in the NG mold or DE's? Talent wise, those two are pretty highly regarded recruits, could they step in next year? How much weight do Seguin (260) and Morrison (250) have to put on before they could be looked at as legitimate starters? I know both played last year, but are undersized for that position. 

None special teams, is my assessment fair that nose guard is currently the #1 glaring issue on the roster next year? Not saying others don't need to improve, but you know what I mean. If so, could a four person tandem of Beach / Pierre / Seguin / Morrison be adequate? 

Don't think that they will use 4 travel spots on kickers next year.  Only get a limited amount to travel with.  Hopefully 2 of them can prove themselves worthy of the job.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, Sioux94 said:

I too have my green glasses on this off season. Yes, I would have liked to have Case to maintain his commitment but Freund as OC has me excited. Let's be honest about something...he can't be worse than Rudy.

so-ive-got-that-goin-for-me-whichis-nice-26007944.png

• Upvote 3