SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

On 9/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, Frozen4sioux said:

Does UND compete in the top division of NCAA football.

Yes.

It plays in the FCS subdivision of NCAA Division I. From the NCAA Division I manual: 

20.4.2 Football Subdivision Reclassification Options. A member of Division I may petition to be classified in football in the Football Bowl Subdivision or the Football Championship Subdivision

I know that doesn't fit your narrative, but if you're going to use NCAA terms ('division') you need use their definitions as well. 

Now if you claimed UND doesn't play in the "top tier" meaning FBS > FCS you'd have an argument. 

13 hours ago, AJS said:

Let's call it brand recognition. I'm not saying what I'd chose as a fan, I'm saying national eyeballs. What would be the biggest on any given year?

• Making the Men's NCAA Basketball Tournament
  • Winning the Frozen Four
  • Winning the FCS Title Game

Am I off base here? It's definitely making the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Which do you think it is?

Agree to disagree but I sure as heck wouldn't say making the NCAA tournament and playing in a game your are more than likely going to lose. Be that Cinderella team that makes it all the way to the sweet 16 or farther and then we are talking something different, other than that you are just another team that made the tournament.

Can we please stop using the "NDSU and SDSU got a headstart" argument as to why we UND is not at the same level at other schools such as NDSU and SDSU.UND started competing at the D1 level in 2007.  That was only 4 years after NDSU and SDSU.  And for those doing the math at home, UND has been Division 1 in all sports for

15 years!!!  Stop using the excuse that we are still playing catchup with the other Dakota schools.  We've had 15 years to catch up.  Tired of the excuses.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Can we please stop using the "NDSU and SDSU got a headstart" argument as to why we UND is not at the same level at other schools such as NDSU and SDSU.UND started competing at the D1 level in 2007.  That was only 4 years after NDSU and SDSU.  And for those doing the math at home, UND has been Division 1 in all sports for

15 years!!!  Stop using the excuse that we are still playing catchup with the other Dakota schools.  We've had 15 years to catch up.  Tired of the excuses.

That was me (although, I know many others have done it), and yes, it is not the sole reason, but it compounded on top of other issues, some of which were beyond the school's control, and many that were not, that are still plaguing some UND athletics, especially football.

But you are right, at some point, all others things equal (which they aren't, but...) 4 years won't matter.  It's like having 4 more years of experience than a co-worker at a job - the first few the difference in experience is going to be very significant, but after a while, they aren't.  How long is that while?  Based on my own personal job experience, I'd say 10-15 years.  Were probably just settling into the point now where the XDSU's are not any further ahead than UXD's due to the sole reason the XDSU's did it 4 years earlier.

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

That was me (although, I know many others have done it), and yes, it is not the sole reason, but it compounded on top of other issues, some of which were beyond the school's control, and many that were not, that are still plaguing some UND athletics, especially football.

But you are right, at some point, all others things equal (which they aren't, but...) 4 years won't matter.  It's like having 4 more years of experience than a co-worker at a job - the first few the difference in experience is going to be very significant, but after a while, they aren't.  How long is that while?  Based on my own personal job experience, I'd say 10-15 years.  Were probably just settling into the point now where the XDSU's are not any further ahead than UXD's due to the sole reason the XDSU's did it 4 years earlier.

I think it's reasonable to conclude that this point was reached when UND won the Big Sky championship.  Since then, multiple conference changes have probably played a much larger factor, imo. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/25/2022 at 12:17 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Okay, I'll bite

If UND was going to be serious about this:  They open up the pocketbooks*, drive down to St. Paul and give Caruso whatever he wants to come to Grand Forks.

*Everybody's got a price, so meet it.

Don't know who the newbie coaches are in the NSIC that could make the jump.  Hoffner is 56 and probably wants to retire in Kato.   

We'll give you his OC. Best we can do. 

On 9/25/2022 at 3:36 PM, petey23 said:

Kevin Bullis

Vince Kehres

Geoff Dartt

Jeff Thorne

Kevin Bullis is fortunate to have had Lance Leipold build that program into what it is and ride in on the shoulder of a giant, and Vince Kehres is a GIANT no from me. Mount Union is nowhere near what it was under his dad, he doesn't recruit nearly as well, coach as well, and his program gets a free pass to the semifinals in a notoriously weak region every year, where they're now getting exposed by NCC, UMHB and UWW. 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Ten years ago there were three guys that made sense: DeBoer, Leopold, Caruso. 

Two of them are where they seemed headed. The third seems happy where he is. 

I've had my fair share of conversations with him, he seems extremely happy where he is, and does not seem to be a big fan of living in ND (despite his wife being from Fargo), and is adamant about the quality of ND HS football (thinks it sucks). It would seem he wants push UST into the MVFC someday. I think UND purusuing him would be a dead-end, considering he walks on water at UST and gets paid quite well. 

1 minute ago, USTBench said:

I've had my fair share of conversations with him, he seems extremely happy where he is, and does not seem to be a big fan of living in ND (despite his wife being from Fargo), and is adamant about the quality of ND HS football (thinks it sucks). It would seem he wants push UST into the MVFC someday. I think UND purusuing him would be a dead-end, considering he walks on water at UST and gets paid quite well. 

That's what I was suspecting. 

On 9/26/2022 at 6:51 AM, Dustin said:

Am I out of line here in suggesting that we nab a NDSU (gasp!) coordinator or assistant and tell them to do in Grand Forks what they did in Fargo?  I hate NDSU FB and their success as much as anyone on here (someone mentioned that some UND hockey fans are Bison fans for other sports - I especially hate that approach), but you have to admit that they know how to get it done.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:59 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Grant Olson

Getting a coordinator from NDSU should be seriously considered. As Dustin said… they know how to get it done.

38 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

At some point all this “inbreeding” needs to be closely examined by UND athletics. It’s not like UND football has been consistently doing anything great since going DI, and the head coaches have been “UND guys” in Mussman and Schweigert during that time …

UND needs to take a hard long look at guys outside the program, mainly DII head coaches with great records of success. 

I agree to an extent but idk if a guys qualified and just so happened to go to UND or coach at UND in the past, that does not mean we should eliminate them. 

I wish basketball would have gone more with the UND guy when they could have hired Craig Smith instead of Brian Jones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

At some point all this “inbreeding” needs to be closely examined by UND athletics. It’s not like UND football has been consistently doing anything great since going DI, and the head coaches have been “UND guys” in Mussman and Schweigert during that time …

UND needs to take a hard long look at guys outside the program, mainly DII head coaches with great records of success. 

For years, many talented coaches have been interested in our openings (in all non-hockey sports) UNTIL they learned what we were able to pay them.  Former UND players and coaches have been willing return to GF for less $!!

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

For years, many talented coaches have been interested in our openings (in all non-hockey sports) UNTIL they learned what we were able to pay them.  Former UND players and coaches have been willing return to GF for less $!!

The funny thing is, in most other industries in GF, the pay for the most part is above market value in order to get good out-of-state employees to move to Grand Forks. From a UND athletics standpoint, hockey does that, but in all other non-hockey sports, it’s a*s backwards.

Football and basketball tries to recruit and retain coaching talent with pennies when they should at least be using nickels and dimes … 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The funny thing is, in most other industries in GF, the pay for the most part is above market value in order to get good out-of-state employees to move to Grand Forks. From a UND athletics standpoint, hockey does that, but in all other non-hockey sports, it’s a*s backwards.

Football and basketball tries to recruit and retain coaching talent with pennies when they should at least be using nickels and dimes … 

Fully agree but it won’t change until UND figures out how to raise more $ from FB alums (and FB fans) and the Champions Club realizes they can raise much more by simply setting some goals and using better common sense in their communication and marketing!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Fully agree but it won’t change until UND figures out how to raise more $ from FB alums (and FB fans) and the Champions Club realizes they can raise much more by simply setting some goals and using better common sense in their communication and marketing!!

Has the Champions club even announced how much money they raised last year?