SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

...bud. Getting swept by Canisius is off the rails.  Especially considering the other losses to (BSU, etc.).  Need to get back on next year.

This is off the rails

2013–14 Mike Eaves 24–11–2 13–6–1 2nd NCAA First Round
2014–15 Mike Eaves 4–26–5 2–15–3 6th  
2015–16 Mike Eaves 8–19–8 3–13–4 6th

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, petey23 said:

This is off the rails

2013–14 Mike Eaves 24–11–2 13–6–1 2nd NCAA First Round
2014–15 Mike Eaves 4–26–5 2–15–3 6th  
2015–16 Mike Eaves 8–19–8 3–13–4 6th

Mike Eaves 2016-17 - Coaching at St. Olaf in the MIAC

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, I won't say that. 

I will say I have no idea night to night which team will show up: the one that waxed SCSU or the one that got shuffled in Buffalo. 

That's on the players. 

This is where this team is tricky, honestly, I think they bring it every night (Canisius included). The better question is will the puck go in the net. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Canisius is, unfortunately, going to likely be what a lot of people remember about this team. 

If this team somehow puts it all together and goes on a Yale-like run to a cinderella-story national title...I’m willing to let bygones be bygones.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

UND has played 33 games this year and has given up more than 3 goals only 5 times (7,6,5,4,4) this year. What could have been if this team had any resemblance of a consistent offense or half way decent special teams (Power Play - 50th / Penalty Kill - 37th). 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, AJS said:

UND has played 33 games this year and has given up more than 3 goals only 5 times (7,6,5,4,4) this year. What could have been if this team had any resemblance of a consistent offense or half way decent special teams (Power Play - 50th / Penalty Kill - 37th). 

The lack of offense and bad PP are really not separate problems.  They are both driven by lack of talent.

6 losses or ties giving up 2 or less

11 giving up 3 or less.

should win at least 4 of the first 6, and half of the incremental 5.

an average offense and pp and we have 6/7 more wins and are sitting pretty.

Reality sinks in...you are what your record says you are, and we have zero offense

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, burd said:

The lack of offense and bad PP are really not separate problems.  They are both driven by lack of talent.

I don’t think it is entirely lack of talent.  The last 2 years our best hope of scoring has been either Wolanin or this year one of our other defensemen.  Since Boeser left none of our forwards have been able to be a consistent threat.  Some of it has to be scheme.  NHL scouts didn’t pick Mismash as high as they did because they thought he had no talent.  None of the other draft picks on the team can score on a consistent basis either.  Last year I expected more scoring out of Gersich.  To have as pathetic of power play that we have had the last 2 years ,I refuse to believe we are in the bottom 10% in talent.  Have to look at scheme and what they are doing is not working.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

There's two guaranteed weekend left in the year, for someone who not only enjoys watching the games, but also likes looking ahead, there's still a lot to dissect coming up. Each weekend is important to me as there are things we can carry into the off season speculation. Although it potentially (most likely) won't matter once selection Sunday comes, where they finish in the standings / pairwise, how they end all can lead to conversation going into next year.

Looking at Omaha I'm most interested in two things (1) Thome's play - I thought last weekend might have been his best overall weekend at UND. He's had great performances in the past, but for the first time I thought he truly looked in control. It just might be his style (?), but even looking back to the Duluth Friday night game where he made the saves, there are so many times he looks out of position. Not last weekend. Looking forward to next year, these next two weekends can help him continue to build and gain confidence, putting UND in great position with the Scheel / Thome goalie combo. (2) JBD - I still don't know what to make of the healthy scratch yesterday. I know I initially overreacted, I hope, but am anxious to get the next weekend going.

3 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

So, assuming UND is on the road for the NCHC playoff first round, what are the chances it will be televised back home? (if I dare to watch)

You hate to pick your opponent, but I’d least like to play Denver. I’d take my chances with Western or even Duluth over the Pios. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

Outside of that one weekend, which I get it, it happened, we've played and beaten some very good/great opponents. I'd say we're playing much better in the second half.

I know this is really old, but I haven't been on this thread in awhile and had to respond.  Outside of that weekend?  Didn't we used to be a team that could sweep SOMEONE?  I mean, we used to be good.  Yes, we have beat some dam good teams this season, but we can't sweep anybody.  This team has some good players but is no where close to a good team. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

You hate to pick your opponent, but I’d least like to play Denver. I’d take my chances with Western or even Duluth over the Pios. 

I don’t know about Duluth, but beating Western doesn’t do as much for improving pairwise. Duluth is out of the picture for a first round matchup anyway.  Not sure if it is still possible to get in by winning that first round against a high pairwise team then win one at the Frozen faceoff against another team high in the pairwise. 

5 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Agreed.  There is just no way this team goes to Denver and wins two games.  Western struggling mightily at the moment.....could even catch a huge break and play them at the Ralph. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Agreed.  There is just no way this team goes to Denver and wins two games.  Western struggling mightily at the moment.....could even catch a huge break and play them at the Ralph. 

The worse part is we either want Western to get swept by Miami, or sweep Miami, there isn’t any in between.