SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

3 hours ago, I Ranger said:

This is where I see Adams leaving much like WIlkie and Murphy in the past due to playing time and who could blame him when #5 keeps getting trotted out there for a regular shift and was inserted onto the first PP unit! I think Adams must have killed Berry's dog or something as I thought he had one of his best games Friday night in Colorado Springs and the next night he's the 19th skater and the following Friday a healthy scratch. Someone with offensive upside on a team with ZERO scoring punch the past two years and continuously is a healthy scratch.

I think Adams has been given more than enough opportunity to produce and has failed to do so consistently. Now, yes that can be said of many of the players but Adams seems to also struggle on the defensive side of the puck. I think Casey Johnson adds a good physical presence, has improved his ability to cycle the puck, and is defensively responsible. Can't fault Berry for that decision. I hope Adams stays, but if he does he needs to improve enough to get into the lineup and stay in the lineup.  Your argument against #5 over Adams could go for any number of guys in the lineup and yet can you honestly say that you would rather pull those guys (#19, #26, #10, #14, etc.) in favor of Adams?

14 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I am expecting Mishmash to develop into a Pony or Dutchman type player...If he sticks around 4 years, he can get his best shot at the show.  

Agreed.  He has no business leaving at this point.  He's no where near ready.  Good player, just not ready.  There is currently no one on this team that is ready.

35 minutes ago, AR RinkRat said:

I think Adams has been given more than enough opportunity to produce and has failed to do so consistently. Now, yes that can be said of many of the players but Adams seems to also struggle on the defensive side of the puck. I think Casey Johnson adds a good physical presence, has improved his ability to cycle the puck, and is defensively responsible. Can't fault Berry for that decision. I hope Adams stays, but if he does he needs to improve enough to get into the lineup and stay in the lineup.  Your argument against #5 over Adams could go for any number of guys in the lineup and yet can you honestly say that you would rather pull those guys (#19, #26, #10, #14, etc.) in favor of Adams?

Name 6 forwards that have better offensive talent and upside on this roster? Has Adams been up and down at times.....yes but his leash has been shorter than any forward on this roster for the 2nd year in a row.  Seems like Berry likes unskilled forwards to fit his defense first system.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, AR RinkRat said:

He's a soph.  Those who bash underclassmen need to chill.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AR RinkRat said:

On a team that has trouble scoring to put it mildly and we continue to put #5 in the lineup. Yes I would put Adams in over him every time and it's not even close. My biggest complaint with Berry is simply in these lineup decisions the last two years with teams that can't score yet we trot out our 8th maybe 9th defensemen (and one with zero offensive upside) as a forward over a forward who has offensive skill but may lack the physicality on the defensive side of the puck. Have we lost more games in the last two years due to poor defense/goaltending or because we can't put the puck in the net? I think the answer is quite obvious.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

On a team that has trouble scoring to put it mildly and we continue to put #5 in the lineup. Yes I would put Adams in over him every time and it's not even close. My biggest complaint with Berry is simply in these lineup decisions the last two years with teams that can't score yet we trot out our 8th maybe 9th defensemen (and one with zero offensive upside) as a forward over a forward who has offensive skill but may lack the physicality on the defensive side of the puck. Have we lost more games in the last two years due to poor defense/goaltending or because we can't put the puck in the net? I think the answer is quite obvious.

The margin for error with this team is so thin because we can’t score, and every defensive error/bad goal allowed is magnified. If we could score on average at least  3 goals per game, defensive errors wouldn’t always be the difference between winning and losing games. 

We have seen some dam good defensive and goalie play in the last two years.   Too bad.  I think back on the Greg Johnson, Dixon Ward years when they had a lot of offensive talent but not enough good grinders or defensive play to turn the corner. 

7 hours ago, I Ranger said:

This is where I see Adams leaving much like WIlkie and Murphy in the past due to playing time and who could blame him when #5 keeps getting trotted out there for a regular shift and was inserted onto the first PP unit! I think Adams must have killed Berry's dog or something as I thought he had one of his best games Friday night in Colorado Springs and the next night he's the 19th skater and the following Friday a healthy scratch. Someone with offensive upside on a team with ZERO scoring punch the past two years and continuously is a healthy scratch.

I can see Adams potentially leaving too and unlike Wilkie and Murphy, this one is going to really bother me. It's so clear the talent is there, he just needs to be with the right guys (see Rizzo next year). How he isn't with Kawaguchi right now is so frustrating. Even more frustrating seeing 29 getting stuck with Yon and Bowen. Or Yon / Johnson getting power play time for some reason. It appears to me like Berry is playing favorites with local players who clearly aren't even close to the same caliber as player. The big question is why, because it doesn't make any sense. It sounds conspiracyish, but it's like Berry knows he screwed up with the Junior class and instead of admitting it, he's going to give them every benefit (Bowen, Johnson, Yon being local guys) and opportunity to try to get them going (which isn't going to happen). It leaves a guy like Adams on the outside.  

• Upvote 1

I know it's hard to believe, but Berry actually may know more than we do and he may be playing the guys, and putting them in roles, that he thinks give the team the best chance to win.  Perhaps he feels that if Adams and Kawaguchi were together they'd get scored on a lot.  I don't know.  But it's much more likely that he has sound reasons than it is him sticking with guys even though he knows it makes them a worse team.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

I can see Adams potentially leaving too and unlike Wilkie and Murphy, this one is going to really bother me. It's so clear the talent is there, he just needs to be with the right guys (see Rizzo next year). How he isn't with Kawaguchi right now is so frustrating. Even more frustrating seeing 29 getting stuck with Yon and Bowen. Or Yon / Johnson getting power play time for some reason. It appears to me like Berry is playing favorites with local players who clearly aren't even close to the same caliber as player. The big question is why, because it doesn't make any sense. It sounds conspiracyish, but it's like Berry knows he screwed up with the Junior class and instead of admitting it, he's going to give them every benefit (Bowen, Johnson, Yon being local guys) and opportunity to try to get them going (which isn't going to happen). It leaves a guy like Adams on the outside.  

Adams should have been put on the line with Guch and Jones as soon as Mismash went down. They were a line last year that was pretty good when they were together. And now that Mismash is (sort of) back they should just make Guch, Mismash and Adams a line instead of sticking Guch with 7 and 9. 

As far as UND goes, this is the first year in a long time that there's no definite flight risk. I look at four as potentials. Poolman, Mismash, JBD, Adams (transfer). I have a good feeling that the first three will be back next year, I wouldn't have had Adams on the list, except for the past couple weeks. Like anytime we talk about players leaving early, it's so key to keep them an extra year. Poolman / JBD are Top pair quality players (as are Kierstad / Bast), we've seen Tychonick really coming into his own as well. Returning 6 guys on defense would be huge, they would have the chance to be the best defensive unit in college hockey next year. Mismash still has so much talent, is a legitimate Top line guy. Adams has the talent, just needs higher caliber players to play with. He's one that could really blow up in the right situation. 

2 minutes ago, jk said:

I know it's hard to believe, but Berry actually may know more than we do and he may be playing the guys, and putting them in roles, that he thinks give the team the best chance to win.  Perhaps he feels that if Adams and Kawaguchi were together they'd get scored on a lot.  I don't know.  But it's much more likely that he has sound reasons than it is him sticking with guys even though he knows it makes them a worse team.

It’s also possible that he has tunnel vision and isn’t being flexible.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jk said:

Of course, you're correct with this, he isn't going to do something that he knows would hurt the team, but still, somethings don't make sense. Especially Yon being on a power play unit, I mean come on. 

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

Mismash still has so much talent, is a legitimate Top line guy.

When he was playing this year, it seemed we were always trying to set him up for unsuccessful one-timers from the top of the circle.  I'm wondering if his future isn't in front of the net.  It'd be great to have a skilled solid body up front to clean up rebounds and I think he's got the grit to do it.  Someone else had mentioned him filling the Pony role earlier too.

Adams has the talent, just needs higher caliber players to play with. He's one that could really blow up in the right situation. 

I believe scpa said Adams would have 20+ points if he was playing for SCSU right now.  Sadly I can't argue against that.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I believe scpa said Adams would have 20+ points if he was playing for SCSU right now.  Sadly I can't argue against that.

Which is why I have my fingers crossed about him sticking around. There's four new players coming in that could put him in a much better situation. I said it earlier, but Rizzo seems like the perfect guy to put him with. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AR RinkRat said:

You might be able to make a case that Adams is more effective when he is in a top 6 role. 

As far as cycling and puck possession I just go back to the Saturday night game against UMD and the following Friday at Colorado College and remember twice in the UMD game and at least once in the CC game where Adams and Tychonick were controlling the puck just off the wall and exchanged possession 2 or 3 times and had UMD/CC running around their end and then Adams came off the wall, drew a couple guys and made a pass to #5 and the possession ended shortly after.

26 minutes ago, jk said:

This may be true, but it certainly doesn’t absolve him from the responsibility of recruiting guys that can score so you can have a line or two that can go out there and just hold serve.  When you don’t have guys like that you need scoring by committee, and having defensemen turned forward like Rieger and Johnson don’t chip in often enough to take that load off. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

This may be true, but it certainly doesn’t absolve him from the responsibility of recruiting guys that can score so you can have a line or two that can go out there and just hold serve.  When you don’t have guys like that you need scoring by committee, and having defensemen turned forward like Rieger and Johnson don’t chip in often enough to take that load off. 

I agree.  The deficiencies in the upperclass forwards are well established, but I think not mentioned as often is that the sophomores have disappointed as well (just the forwards).  Kawaguchi has done well, but I didn't feel Mismash was having anything close to a breakout year pre-injury and Adams hasn't exactly forced his way into an important lineup spot.  The high expectations I had for the group are my problem, but they were probably as high as for next year's class.  Mismash was probably the top ranked recruit since Jost, Kawaguchi scored like crazy, and Adams put up very good numbers in the USHL.  They still have time, but it will be important for next year's team that they get going.

Adams is obviously talented and I think we could be getting a lot more out of him, don't get me wrong. That said, am I the only who feels like he still hasn't adjusted to the physicality of college? I swear every time he gets the puck he's getting bounced off it by bigger guys or when he's battling for loose pucks he gets muscled out. That's why I think Berry hasn't been pairing him with other, smaller skill guys like Kawaguchi and has been putting him with bigger guys like Rhett 

• Upvote 1

Been thinking about lack of creativity and forward scoring problems.   I'm starting to think it has more to do with the on-ice leadership than coaching.  Our upperclassmen such as Gardner are really just north-south players.  If the fixtures in your lineup naturally play a particular way, it's difficult for the underclassmen playing with them to play a different style. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Been thinking about lack of creativity and forward scoring problems.   I'm starting to think it has more to do with the on-ice leadership than coaching.  Our upperclassmen such as Gardner are really just north-south players.  If the fixtures in your lineup naturally play a particular way, it's difficult for the underclassmen playing with them to play a different style. 

But they also have play a lot without him on the ice too.........