SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Although I don't 100% agree with you on a number of things you've posted in this thread, it's nice to read positive comments on occasion.  So please don't "step back" from posting.  This board has been toxic the last 2 years, although the various sports teams at UND haven't done much to help with that.

Hope this brings some positivity to everyone

tenor (1).gif

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, oldSioux said:

Is it possible to make the playoffs still? I.e win out? Home stand vs UMD sweep... i've seen stranger things.. That has gotta be worth something. Can we afford another loss and still make it (loss to UMD vs CC or OMA)? Any stat GURU feel free. 

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I did a quick look at the PWR predictor in the Pairwise thread and with no other results counted, a split with Duluth and two sweeps against CC and UNO has us at 13. Sweeping the next six games, we're 11. Losing to UMD we can do, but it's certainly not ideal. Losing to UNO or CC will end our at-large bid, I'd think.

We got a shot, but we got a lot of work left to do.

Or, win out and win the Frozen Faceoff, of course.

•  

Most likely going to be playing Denver or Western in the 1st round so there’s a chance to move up a few spots there too.

• Upvote 2

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

I’m a pretty positive fan, usually one of the last ones to go negative on the team, but without Adam Scheel in net, I have a hard time seeing a way in. 

And I think this is where a lot of people stand. It’s possible, but starts to seem more unlikely by the day. 

Oh, for sure. That was absolutely my first instinct when I saw him go down. Having Thome gives me more hope than Bob or Feeney, though.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Completely fair to have that opinion. I brought Wilkie up, in this particular situation, arbitrarily. Could have inserted any name that was a recruit or player who under performed during their time here.

Underperformed as an underclassmen.  I think Wilkie was a great example.

7 hours ago, burd said:

Scott Sandelin has won two banners at UMD, and he's been in the championship game two of the last three years.  He stands a good chance of going deep again this year.  Duluth is experiencing good times.  Look at his record. 

Beginning the fifth year of his career at UMD, he won 15, 11, 13, 13, and 13 games during the next 5 years.  He won 14 and 16  from '12 to '13.  UND has won 14 so far this year.  Sandelin has missed the playoffs half of his 18 years there.  Do you think the admin and fans are glad he's coaching there now?

(I think these numbers are correct)

Duluth is use to being mediocre. :D

Speaking of upper classman UND had no Jr. or Sr. forward in '16-'17 with 30 or more points. Last year Jones hit 30 points on the nose as a Jr. This year Jones has 15..... highly unlikely he gets to 30 this season. 

So in the past 3 years no upper classman forward other than a transfer has hit the 30 point total in a season. 

Let that soak in.........

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Speaking of upper classman UND had no Jr. or Sr. forward in '16-'17 with 30 or more points. Last year Jones hit 30 points on the nose as a Jr. This year Jones has 15..... highly unlikely he gets to 30 this season. 

So in the past 3 years no upper classman forward other than a transfer has hit the 30 point total in a season. 

...nuts

that is a ton of recruiting whiffs 

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Ugh. That is nauseating.

Kawaguchi and Pooly next year, I think.

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I can't remember a year when I heard the pipeline was not loaded though.

Just now, scpa0305 said:

Mismash needs a bounce back year next year.  Hopefully he doesn’t panic.

Yup. He's had so many flashes of brilliance, but nearly no consistency. Hopefully he goes the way of Frattin and instead of getting kicked off the team, he's battling back from the injury.

5 minutes ago, franchise said:

We are inevitably headed for the tweet from Brad stating that UND would have been in, if they had split with the Griffs:sad:

Ha. no kidding.. but isn't that the case for most of the teams in the bubble? If we had split, swept, won in OT.. but we didn't. Not a huge fan of these articles talking about the "what ifs". so many other opportunities, CLEARLY getting swept by the griffs was not normal, but tough to blame it all on one weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I can't remember a year when I heard the pipeline was not loaded though.

This is so true - I really worry about what has happened to totally drain the offense out of Berry's teams.  Absolutely no scorers.  None.  Doesn't matter how they were rated coming in they don't score when they are here. I have not seen a team with so much dead weight in a long long time.   I used to have faith in Berry, but his total inability to even improve our power play doesn't bode well in my opinion.  I wish I knew what was going on (not that I think I will)

1 minute ago, oldSioux said:

Ha. no kidding.. but isn't that the case for most of the teams in the bubble? If we had split, swept, won in OT.. but we didn't. Not a huge fan of these articles talking about the "what ifs". so many other opportunities, CLEARLY getting swept by the griffs was not normal, but tough to blame it all on one weekend. 

When it's as razor thin as it was last year, it could very well have come down to that sweep, though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldSioux said:

Of course, there's always the break here or there for everyone, but it's more newsworthy when it's such a heavily favored series...like the Michigan State series a yr or 2 ago

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, franchise said:

Of course, there's always the break here or there for everyone, but it's more newsworthy when it's such a heavily favored series...like the Michigan State series a yr or 2 ago

Ugh, please don't talk about that series... lol I LOVE my selective memory. 

seriously though these players can skate with the best. its all about consistency, can they bring the heat for a weekend? beat a Denver and western Michigan? maybe we make the FF finals and lose a close one and still get in at 13.. ? still holding on to the season.