SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Illinois State of the Missouri Valley pays it's current head coach over $500,000 a year base salary.

Brian Jones likely got a pay raise to be the an assistant there.

There might be AAU coaches that make more then UND Basketball. 

You get what you pay for in coaching

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I don't think the new guy will make much more.

Bubba S. at UND makes base $200,000.

Jones was at $140,000.

Another way to look at it....   NDSU's WBB coach was recently let go after 5 years and a 40-106 record.   She made $158,000 last year.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Do players get a free pass to leave now 

I have to imagine we will see some attrition although that’s to be expected nearly every year it seems. I don’t believe they just get a free pass to leave and play immediately though if they transfer at the D1 level. 

Edit: I will trust what @SWSiouxMN says on this one. 

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I have to imagine we will see some attrition although that’s to be expected nearly every year it seems. I don’t believe they just get a free pass to leave and play immediately though if they transfer at the D1 level. 

Edit: I will trust what @SWSiouxMN says on this one. 

I'm not sure myself, so I made an edit to my post. 

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm not sure myself, so I made an edit to my post. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/30/16950794/ncaa-transfer-rules-changes-coaches assuming this rule went through, it would appear if the coach leaves they don’t have to sit out unless they go to where the coach went. My main concern would be Marlon followed by maybe Rebraca. 

I don't believe that rule passed as originally proposed, its a pretty narrow group that can transfer without sitting out. That being said, a handful of guys still have their red-shirt year available, so a new coach will need to hit the ground running to keep everyone around.

Here is the press release for the most recent changes:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-adjusts-transfer-rules

Incoming freshman college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

• Upvote 1

Conversation iin Jones’ end of season review with Chaves.

Chaves:  The season results were unacceptable.  How are you going to improve on it.

Jones:  I need more money for the program to buy a couple things and make it more attractive.

Chaves:  (Not wanting a throw a buyout at Jones). Well, you have until next season to win.  You got Euro players last year and their scholarships cost major $s.

Jones:  I’ll be looking before  then.

Chaves:  That would be a splendid idea.

Today Chaves is all smiles as he gets Jones out the office, gets to put a new coach in, and saved $’s.

I can never blame anybody for wanting to spend time with their families.  Given Jones story in the article posted by Miller, I can certainly understand.

Jones wasn't perfect by any stretch.  My first year at UND was during the dreaded attempted of a) copying the Miles "redshirt so you can give the seniors a crack at the tournament" and b) the Princeton offense.  It didn't go very well.  I do give him credit for scrapping it the next year (and knowing when to change if something wasn't going to work). 

With that said, he did lead UND to the promise land and honestly, with a little better luck and the NCAA not screwing over Nash, he could have gone at least 1 or 2 more times with the Huff group.  

I wish him the very best. 

Now.... UND needs to make a good hire and the time has come to start to support this program.  Enough of the shoestrings.  

Now this thread can finally be over.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Wish Jones the best. Did leave some good memories.

The Dance season was the greatest memory of his entire career. It’s too bad we had too many subpar seasons to overshadow that accomplishment.  Good luck at Illinois St.

9 hours ago, Cratter said:

Illinois State of the Missouri Valley pays it's current head coach over $500,000 a year base salary.

Brian Jones might make the same or get a pay raise to be the an assistant there.

This says the most, in my opinion. UND men’s basketball, as a DI program, is supported horribly as demonstrated by salary comparisons. It needs to be taken seriously by administration before anything remarkable on-the-court will happen on a consistent basis.

Sad state of affairs at UND; desperately need HPC phase II and increased salary pool for UND MBB. In fact, I’d call it embarrassing. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This says the most, in my opinion. UND men’s basketball, as a DI program, is supported horribly as demonstrated by salary comparisons. It needs to be taken seriously by administration before anything remarkable on-the-court will happen on a consistent basis.

Sad state of affairs at UND; desperately need HPC phase II and increased salary pool for UND MBB. In fact, I’d call it embarrassing. 

And for a school UND's size, basketball has the most upside as far as national recognition and growth. Need to find a better way to fund it, obviously. Maybe a new coach will help that. 

• Upvote 1

First time chiming in on this topic.  First off, I agree with the poster (could be in the “who’s next” thread, not sure) who said this move is probably mutually beneficial for both UND and Jones.  I am excited for what a new guy can bring to the table.  That being said, I do want to thank Brian Jones for his time here.  Yeah, it could be frustrating watching his teams sometimes, but he did navigate a situation that no one would envy, and eventually brought a Conference championship (was also close to one earlier, too) and an NCAA tournament appearance, which is absolutely the most exposure a school of UND’s stature is going to get (unless they do something crazy in football ala NDSU, which I don’t think will ever be replicated, including by the Bison).  As a fan, I am more in the Hockey, Football, and Volleyball crowd, but a winning DI program at UND would get me more excited about college basketball in general outside of the month of March.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

I can never blame anybody for wanting to spend time with their families.  Given Jones story in the article posted by Miller, I can certainly understand.

Jones wasn't perfect by any stretch.  My first year at UND was during the dreaded attempted of a) copying the Miles "redshirt so you can give the seniors a crack at the tournament" and b) the Princeton offense.  It didn't go very well.  I do give him credit for scrapping it the next year (and knowing when to change if something wasn't going to work). 

With that said, he did lead UND to the promise land and honestly, with a little better luck and the NCAA not screwing over Nash, he could have gone at least 1 or 2 more times with the Huff group.  

I wish him the very best. 

Now.... UND needs to make a good hire and the time has come to start to support this program.  Enough of the shoestrings.  

Now this thread can finally be over.

Given the pessimism I frequently see in this page, it will probably be replaced by "Fire coach..." after their first loss.