SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I am just curious what are your expectations of coach here at UND how much does he have to win before your ready to fire him and move on to next coach. He has reach a sweet sixteen appearance when none of so called elite programs in this conference have never reached that spot. Also South Dakota and South Dakota state view basketball as one of their primary sports for the school. North Dakota State has had some success in past but with football program growing I think all other sports have seen the drain including men's basketball. If your going to talk about the other Mid major programs that have been successful at basketball majority of them concentrate on basketball and usually are private schools. Now look at UND Hockey is the first sport here commanding significant portion of the budget and resources of the school and now second is football which has gotten renewed effort from the school and athletic department. Then comes basketball the third sport for men at UND not like it was in the past and now to be competitive it takes resources of money not just head coach but assistants, facilities, and travel budgets to make a complete competitive team. Now look at the Hockey program where were seeing they have not been winning how long is it before our other sports see a drain again because hockey revenue may be dropping near future if has not now even seen a slide.  But getting back to basketball do think were going to put a program together here where you think were going in the top 25 in division I basketball. I by your grading most of all the schools in this conference should have fired their coach this year and looked for another one and same thing can be said for all the schools in the Big Sky.  Division I sports for small mid major programs is have some financial stability and ability to show they can win the conference every few years when we there are changes it is because several years at bottom conference and no improvement in year to year play or when the contract of coach is up they may make a change in coaches.  I guess I look at some of you posting here your expectations are not realistic and were not biggest fish in pond like we were when we were division II where we had more resources than most other division II schools now were like most of other division II schools  in division I with limited resources so change has to be done carefully. If you don't believe that look at all the sports that have disappeared here in last few years.

• Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I am just curious what are your expectations of coach here at UND how much does he have to win before your ready to fire him and move on to next coach. He has reach a sweet sixteen appearance when none of so called elite programs in this conference have never reached that spot. Also South Dakota and South Dakota state view basketball as one of their primary sports for the school. North Dakota State has had some success in past but with football program growing I think all other sports have seen the drain including men's basketball. If your going to talk about the other Mid major programs that have been successful at basketball majority of them concentrate on basketball and usually are private schools. Now look at UND Hockey is the first sport here commanding significant portion of the budget and resources of the school and now second is football which has gotten renewed effort from the school and athletic department. Then comes basketball the third sport for men at UND not like it was in the past and now to be competitive it takes resources of money not just head coach but assistants, facilities, and travel budgets to make a complete competitive team. Now look at the Hockey program where were seeing they have not been winning how long is it before our other sports see a drain again because hockey revenue may be dropping near future if has not now even seen a slide.  But getting back to basketball do think were going to put a program together here where you think were going in the top 25 in division I basketball. I by your grading most of all the schools in this conference should have fired their coach this year and looked for another one and same thing can be said for all the schools in the Big Sky.  Division I sports for small mid major programs is have some financial stability and ability to show they can win the conference every few years when we there are changes it is because several years at bottom conference and no improvement in year to year play or when the contract of coach is up they may make a change in coaches.  I guess I look at some of you posting here your expectations are not realistic and were not biggest fish in pond like we were when we were division II where we had more resources than most other division II schools now were like most of other division II schools  in division I with limited resources so change has to be done carefully. If you don't believe that look at all the sports that have disappeared here in last few years.

My view of a successful MBB coach is one who can consistently field a team that wins the Summit Conference perhaps 2 out of every 5 years, with the other 3 years still in the upper half with maybe a random NIT bid. This also includes beating 2/3 of the Dakota schools each year. I don't expect MBB to be #1 every year, just not be a basement dweller. A cherry on top would be one first-round win in the Big Dance once in the five-year cycle. 

Maybe it is too high of an expectation, but don't think it is an unreasonable one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

i didn't read beyond your second sentence because it's too hard to read one gigantic paragraph.

I said sweet sixteen, because I think it's unfortunate/ridiculous that these low D 1 basketball conferences with schools with such severely limited funding available, are at times at the mercy of a three game stretch in early March as to whether or not they can even make their own decision on a coach moving forward.  Q saved Jones' job by getting UND to the dance.  UND had no choice but to extend Jones at that point and the results we have seen since then have been disappointing, but have surprised no one.  We knew who we had.    Same thing just happened at NDSU.   They appeared ready to move on from Richman, he wins 3 Summit League games in a row plus a last four play in game, and now they will have to extend him whether they'd like to or not.   

I agree Sweet Sixteen sounds like an unfair high bar to set.  Depends on if you want to make your own decisions as an AD for the health of the program moving forward, or do you want a 3 game stretch in early march to potentially derail your long term plans for the program.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

i didn't read beyond your second sentence because it's too hard to read one gigantic paragraph.

I said sweet sixteen, because I think it's unfortunate/ridiculous that these low D 1 basketball conferences with schools with such severely limited funding available, are at times at the mercy of a three game stretch in early March as to whether or not they can even make their own decision on a coach moving forward.  Q saved Jones' job by getting UND to the dance.  UND had no choice but to extend Jones at that point and the results we have seen since then have been disappointing, but have surprised no one.  We knew who we had.    Same thing just happened at NDSU.   They appeared ready to move on from Richman, he wins 3 Summit League games in a row plus a last four play in game, and now they will have to extend him whether they'd like to or not.   

I agree Sweet Sixteen sounds like an unfair high bar to set.  Depends on if you want to make your own decisions as an AD for the health of the program moving forward, or do you want a 3 game stretch in early march to potentially derail your long term plans for the program.  

Same here.  I refuse to read if he can't at least attempt to put in paragraph form.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

All mid-majors have "limited resources", but that doesn't stop them from making noise in March. If making the NCAA tournament is not our goal, we should move back down to Division II and join the NSIC. Their tournament is in Sioux Falls, just like the Summit. :silly:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I don't know how you can make that conclusion.  MBB has been to the dance the 3 out of the last 6 years.  WVB and WBB are the only 2 sports that have failed to live up to NDSU standards.  All our sports are fully funded and have enjoyed great success with the exception of those 2 sports.  

My expectations for both men's and women's basketball are very attainable in my opinion.

They should always be a top 3 team in whatever conference they are in.  They should always be considered a legitimate threat to win the conference tournament.  They should be competitive throughout the ENTIRE regular season, not just the final month.

This is basically what the men's program did for the 45 years prior to Jones taking over the program and running it into the ground.  For decades in DII UND was probably always one of the 50 best teams in the country every year.  I don't think it is too much to expect them to be able to finish in the top third of the Summit every year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

My expectations for both men's and women's basketball are very attainable in my opinion.

They should always be a top 3 team in whatever conference they are in.  They should always be considered a legitimate threat to win the conference tournament.  They should be competitive throughout the ENTIRE regular season, not just the final month.

This is basically what the men's program did for the 45 years prior to Jones taking over the program and running it into the ground.  For decades in DII UND was probably always one of the 50 best teams in the country every year.  I don't think it is too much to expect them to be able to finish in the top third of the Summit every year.

Fully agree!

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Not saying I heard from players that they’re done with Jones but I heard from players that they’re done with Jones. 

I will say you are very good at coming up with so many ways to share that you do not like Coach Jones. 

Maybe it is time for change, but this won't make it happen just creates a poor reflection on student athletes. 

• Upvote 1