SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I will say you are very good at coming up with so many ways to share that you do not like Coach Jones. 

Maybe it is time for change, but this won't make it happen just creates a poor reflection on student athletes. 

Don’t shoot the messenger. 

17 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

I don't know how you can make that conclusion.  MBB has been to the dance the 3 out of the last 6 years.  WVB and WBB are the only 2 sports that have failed to live up to NDSU standards.  All our sports are fully funded and have enjoyed great success with the exception of those 2 sports.  

With all that success, I assume attendance is on the rise? 

6 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

He isn't going to drop to the Summit already, is he?  Could easily take over a G5 school and make 500K-1m.  

Well SDSU might have an opening soon.....

Never say never, but I could see him go be an assistance or do the G5 route. 

He deserved better and I hope Nebraska goes back to nothing for basketball.  No offense to Freddy.  

I would guess Tim Miles looks for another major college to coach at would be hard for him to come back to Summit conference coaches salaries.  I am betting he could make more as assistant at major college than he could at Summit Conference. I look at Jones here at UND is just making 140,0000. and even Otzelberger at SDSU is making 325,0000. Miles was scheduled to make 2.5 million this coming year one lower paid Big 10 coaches still  huge pay cut to go back to midmajor program. McDermott at Creighton is making 1.326 million far cry from Summit and Big Sky pay scales. Even Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa one most successful Midmajor programs is making little over 500,000. not bad but sure not pay structure of big time universities. If not coaching I would think Miles has future probably in color commentator for the sports channels. I wonder with Jones salary being this low compared to other coaches I wonder how we compare in what were paying our assistant coaches. This has a lot to do how well program fairs and competes with quality of coaching staff. I see University of South Dakota have two of Jones assistant coaches we had in last few years I wonder if this has to do with compensation they were receiving.

2 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I would guess Tim Miles looks for another major college to coach at would be hard for him to come back to Summit conference coaches salaries.  I am betting he could make more as assistant at major college than he could at Summit Conference. I look at Jones here at UND is just making 140,0000. and even Otzelberger at SDSU is making 325,0000. Miles was scheduled to make 2.5 million this coming year one lower paid Big 10 coaches still  huge pay cut to go back to midmajor program. McDermott at Creighton is making 1.326 million far cry from Summit and Big Sky pay scales. Even Ben Jacobson at Northern Iowa one most successful Midmajor programs is making little over 500,000. not bad but sure not pay structure of big time universities. If not coaching I would think Miles has future probably in color commentator for the sports channels. I wonder with Jones salary being this low compared to other coaches I wonder how we compare in what were paying our assistant coaches. This has a lot to do how well program fairs and competes with quality of coaching staff. I see University of South Dakota have two of Jones assistant coaches we had in last few years I wonder if this has to do with compensation they were receiving.

It does!

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Saul Phillips was a finalist for the Idaho St job.  Didn’t get it, but a Minn St-Moorhead grad did.

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/saul-phillips-ryan-looney-round-out-candidates-for-isu-men/article_b7f7d16e-2c74-5fe9-bf39-9b0929747be2.html

Looney, 43, played collegiately at Eastern Oregon. His other college coaching experience includes two seasons as an assistant at Wisconsin-LaCrosse and one season as an assistant at North Idaho. Six of Point Loma’s 16 players this past season were Washington state natives, and the San Diego Union Tribune reported that Looney grew up in Spokane, Washington, which is just over the Idaho-Washington border.”

- from: https://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/ryan-looney-named-next-head-men-s-basketball-coach-at/article_8bb61aa7-2d4c-53da-b19c-d46cd4664c88.html

13 minutes ago, choyt3 said:

Looney, 43, played collegiately at Eastern Oregon. His other college coaching experience includes two seasons as an assistant at Wisconsin-LaCrosse and one season as an assistant at North Idaho. Six of Point Loma’s 16 players this past season were Washington state natives, and the San Diego Union Tribune reported that Looney grew up in Spokane, Washington, which is just over the Idaho-Washington border.”

- from: https://www.idahostatejournal.com/members/ryan-looney-named-next-head-men-s-basketball-coach-at/article_8bb61aa7-2d4c-53da-b19c-d46cd4664c88.html

Sorry, he didn’t graduate from there, but was an assistant at Minn St-Moorhead.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/basketball/1007053-Report-Former-Dragons-assistant-gets-Idaho-State-job-former-Bison-coach-Phillips-was-a-finalist