SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

29 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Quite the leap from one year as a Volunteer Video Coach to Assistant Head Coach at a DII school. 

Shank’s coaching ability has been raved about.  Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the first step on a long coaching train.

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

Actual article refers to him as an Assistant coach which is logical ...assistant head coach seemed like fake news....Not sure how his coaching ability can be raved about since he has never been a coach

I think at Loyola people had mentioned he basically served as an assistant while playing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think at Loyola people had mentioned he basically served as an assistant while playing. 

This is the that article talks about how he helped a younger player at Loyola (Krutwig).

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/03/column-who-should-replace-bryan-mullins/

Krutwig’s seeing success because he can shoot and rebound, but he can also pass like a guard. He benefited under the tutelage of 7-foot center Carson Shanks, a graduate transfer during the 2017-18 Final Four season who was held back by miscellaneous minor injuries throughout the season.

Hang on a second. Shanks took Krutwig under his wing and helped transform him into the MVC Freshman of the Year, has a great basketball mind and is getting a bit of coaching experience as a volunteer video coordinator at his alma mater, University of North Dakota.

I think we’ve found a match.

Think about it. Krutwig, who was already great coming into college, managed to get even better with Shanks’ help. 

Shanks is an assistant...not assistant head coach....he had a a knack for being a fouling machine at UND and was really good at getting a foul called on him while a teammate was in the process of making a bucket ..,which thanks to shanks hack was waived off.  Krutwig got better after shanks left...surprised Porter Moser did not give the next John wooden AKA Carson shanks a job on his staff if he was really instrumental in Krutwig being a stud player ...Shanks had nothing to do with Krutwig he would have been just as good without Shanks...Shanks did not really improve himself much during is 5 years of ncaa basketball much less a going against a kid one year in practice...UND Center Avants improved after shanks left also...

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Shanks is an assistant...not assistant head coach....he had a a knack for being a fouling machine at UND and was really good at getting a foul called on him while a teammate was in the process of making a bucket ..,which thanks to shanks hack was waived off.  Krutwig got better after shanks left...surprised Porter Moser did not give the next John wooden AKA Carson shanks a job on his staff if he was really instrumental in Krutwig being a stud player ...Shanks had nothing to do with Krutwig he would have been just as good without Shanks...Shanks did not really improve himself much during is 5 years of ncaa basketball much less a going against a kid one year in practice...UND Center Avants improved after shanks left also...

I know you say Shanks didn’t improve himself over his 5 years which is fine I’m not going to argue with but bringing up that Krutwig and Avants improved after Shanks left when they had more experience and were older seems silly. I would say most players are better as their careers move on, obviously not everyone (Shanks).  

To think practicing with Shanks makes anybody a better player than they would have been otherwise is absurd...Maybe practicing with Lebron will make the lakers great again...Maybe Shanks will be a good coach maybe not. Not Big on a guy who dumps Utah st  for UND Then Dumps UND and verbals to Utah st. and a week later dumps Utah St. second time for Loyola...Questionable loyalty and stability . 

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

To think practicing with Shanks makes anybody a better player than they would have been otherwise is absurd...Maybe practicing with Lebron will make the lakers great again...Maybe Shanks will be a good coach maybe not. Not Big on a guy who dumps Utah st  for UND Then Dumps UND and verbals to Utah st. and a week later dumps Utah St. second time for Loyola...Questionable loyalty and stability . 

Oh lighten up little fella. It’s ok.   PS - Porter wanted C to come back as a graduate assistant.  

https://theathletic.com/286102/2018/03/24/loyola-has-a-7-foot-center-whos-really-more-of-a-mentor/

4 hours ago, hoops44 said:

The article stated that he really helped Krutwig develop at Loyola.  This was in their student newspaper I believe.  Not sure if the guy's opinion is accurate or not.  

I was not a big fan of Shanks play either.  That being said, being a great player is not a prerequisite for being an effective or good coach.

12 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I was not a big fan of Shanks play either.  That being said, being a great player is not a prerequisite for being an effective or good coach.

Nothing but good things said about him in his time by fellow students and athletes while he was at UND. All interactions I had with him were positive. 

Clearly some people at Loyola felt he did a good job helping a younger player develop. Clearly Coach Jones felt he was worth bringing back to help out the UND program. And clearly Wieck at Duluth heard enough about him that he felt he was worth bringing on as an assistant.

Top 5 winningest coaches in NCAA D1 history all played college basketball.  Weren't really All Americans:

Mike Krzyzewski - 6.2 PPG, 3 years

Jim Boeheim - 9.8 PPG, 3 years

Bobby Knight -  .7 PPG, 1 year

Dean Smith - 1.6 PPG, 3 years

Jim Calhoun - .6 PPG, 3 years

So being a good athlete has nothing to do with how good of coach you are.  Let me be clear, in no way whatsoever am I comparing Shanks to 5 of the greatest coaches of all time.  Just saying that Shanks playing ability has no bearing on his coaching ability. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...