SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

4 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

IUPUI is even ranked higher academically. That said, welcome Sioux fans; to both leagues. Oh, and don't count out UNC moving over with you; eventually. Rumor has it they aren't thrilled with the BSC right now.

So what you are saying is...  we're getting the band back together?

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So is bisonville on fire?

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The question I have is why would UND want to joing the Slummit? According to some of the pundits here the Slummit is a very unstable conference. Oh wait you are now joining the Summit.:D

This brings a couple of questions to mind...

who is leaving the MVFC? Youngstown? Missouri State?

does this mean that New Mexico State will be following Idaho to FCS and the Big Sky? 

will UND joining the Summit mean long-term stability had finally been achieved by the revolving door conference?

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm really surprised the Indiana schools (IPFW and IUPUI) went for this ... or did they, meaning, school presidents vote on admitting new members and they weren't happy about adding "western" (NDSU, SDSU) schools the last time around. Did the Indianas get out-voted by the western contingent? 

The current Summit: WIU, USD, SDSU, ORU, Omaha, NDSU, IPFW, IUPUI, Denver. 

I'm not, a 10th school makes scheduling easier and probably makes it easier to establish travel partners. Also adds a stable member.

The MVFC side of this equation is far more surprising.  

46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He's mad the eastern teams will have an easier road to the playoffs while the western teams will beat each other up. We have seen that in the NCC where only one or two teams from the conference made the playoffs. Like I said play better football and win in the playoffs. So nice they see us as a tough team and a threat. 

No, he specifically discussed that as well. 

I am not sure you fully understand what he was complaining about. 

I am glad UND is joining the Summit.  This is the keystone that the Summit needed.  The Dakota schools will now control their own destiny.  When the MVC took Loyola - Chicago, over any of the Dakota schools, I thought screw them.  With Wichita State potentially leaving the the MVC, it will be a shell of it's former self.  Obviously, you will have hockey rivals with Denver and UNO, which will be a good rivalry.

As far as the MVFC, who cares?  2020 is a long way off.  A lot can change.  Summit football, FBS - Tier II?

1 hour ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

A reminder too that the Alerus Center's highest attended game in 2016 wasn't to a Big Sky opponent, or even the playoff game. It was to South Dakota. Point is, sure there may have been more visiting fans than a Big Sky game, but that's the point. In the MVFC, travel is easier, and old rivalries are back. I'm in. 

That was the Potato Bowl and the home opener.  In 2015 the Potato Bowl and home opener was against Drake and it was the highest attended game of that year.  Same deal in 2014 against Robert Morris.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

That was the Potato Bowl and the home opener.  In 2015 the Potato Bowl and home opener was against Drake and it was the highest attended game of that year.  Same deal in 2014 against Robert Morris.  

I was going to mention those facts but didn't figure many would find validity in them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The question I have is why would UND want to joing the Slummit? According to some of the pundits here the Slummit is a very unstable conference. Oh wait you are now joining the Summit.:D

Plenty of dumb comments to go around as expected. 

UND joining the Summit further increases is stability, giving five solid core members (Dakota teams plus UNO) plus a sixth (Denver) who seems content because they are in a conference that has minimal required sports, allowing them to sponsor what they want, unlike the MVC who was going to require them to adjust what they sponsor. It also will shift the balance in the MVFC, giving the Summit a majority. 

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

I wish Gene Taylor were still at NDSU.  He would have never allowed this to happen.  

It would have happened in 2010, but too much ego by your admin to build the necessary bridges to make it happen like usd did.   See, all you have to do make your desires known, and look what happens.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Brookings and Vermillion are yet more doable in terms of travel than anything the Big Sky Conference has to offer. Also, UNI ain't all that bad.

Most of these anti-MVFC/Summit comments appear to be coming from those who have forced themselves to disregard the 100+ year UND-NDSU intraconference rivalry, regardless of the history and residual interest. 

Whether you like it or not, UND/Grand Forks will never be in the Rockies.

And much of this type of response comes from those who have never been able to get beyond the NDSU obsession.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Herd said:

It would have happened in 2010, but too much ego by your admin to build the necessary bridges to make it happen like usd did.   See, all you have to do make your desires known, and look what happens.

No, it wouldn't have. The MVFC was on record that adding one in 2010 was palatable but two wasn't happening. That was the same stance they held both publicly and privately until just a few months ago. UND had inquired more than once and nothing changed until very recently. Also begs the question to what changed but I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

No, it wouldn't have. The MVFC was on record that adding one in 2010 was palatable but two wasn't happening. That was the same stance they held both publicly and privately until just a few months ago. UND had inquired more than once and nothing changed until very recently. Also begs the question to what changed but I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

They're on record in 2010 saying no expansion planned, then usd asked.  They're on record in 2017 with Patty saying no plans to expand, then you asked.  Sorry, but you could have done the same in 2010, but your admin didn't want to do the work.

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Men's basketball game against Idaho St. outdrew the game against NDSU.  Just sayin......

Hmmmmmmm, I feel like there were a certain set of circumstances that made for abnormally low attendence for that game....was it the first day of Christmas break or was NDSU playing a football semifinal at the same time as the basketball game.... I can't remember which one....

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hmmmmmmm, I feel like there were a certain set of circumstances that made for abnormally low attendence for that game....was it the first day of Christmas break or was NDSU playing a football semifinal at the same time as the basketball game.... I can't remember which one....

Wasn't there also a blizzard that day? 

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

No, it was because it was a non-conference game.  Wait until the 2019 Summit League Tourney.  UND fans are going to book all the rooms and take over "The Falls".

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Herd said:

They're on record in 2010 saying no expansion planned, then usd asked.  They're on record in 2017 with Patty saying no plans to expand, then you asked.  Sorry, but you could have done the same in 2010, but your admin didn't want to do the work.

UND did ask in 2010 and the MVFC said they weren't taking two teams, which is why UND took the Big Sky offer to protect football. They had not commented one way or the other on only taking one team and ended up making some compromises with the eastern teams to do so. UND also stayed in touch and inquired more than once between then and mid-2016 and were told they weren't looking at expansion. I'll trust my sources that I can promise you are much closer to the situation than you are on this one.