SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

12 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Meh.

The fact that NDSU has been the dominant basketball program in the Summit since they joined, and the fact that SDSU has been one of the dominant football programs in the MVFC since they joined tells me all I need to know about "how strong" those conferences are.  Neither of those programs were ever known for doing much in either of those sports before they joined those conferences.

Lol I see you're doubling down on stupid posts. Seems to me both NDSU and SDSU have beaten some pretty damn good programs that UND could only dream of since the D1 move but keep believing that the BSC is a juggernaut. Outside of EWU in FB and Weber in BB the BSC is garbage.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

1 minute ago, North Dakota said:

Lol I see you're doubling down on stupid posts. Seems to me both NDSU and SDSU have beaten some pretty damn good programs that UND could only dream of since the D1 move but keep believing that the BSC is a juggernaut. Outside of EWU in FB and Weber in BB the BSC is garbage.

This is simply not true.

3 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

If you say so.

Fact is SDSU participated in post season football 1 time out of 120 years of football before they joined the Valley.  Point is there are more ways to measure the "strength" of a conference than by RPI, GPI, or SRS.

Doesn't really matter.  I'm sure I won't convince you and you won't convince me either.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bincitysioux said:

If you say so.

Fact is SDSU participated in post season football 1 time out of 120 years of football before they joined the Valley.  Point is there are more ways to measure the "strength" of a conference than by RPI, GPI, or SRS.

Doesn't really matter.  I'm sure I won't convince you and you won't convince me either.

Doesn't matter what anybody did before it's what they are doing now that matters.

That's true but by any measure you can't put the BSC ahead of either one right now.

Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

When you are 29th out of 32 that smells like garbage to me.

#buttRPI

The years NDSU and SDSU have been dominant in basketball in the Summit, we have beat them or competed very well with them.  I have no doubt this year would be any different if we played anyone other than NDSU.  I will put stock in that before looking at numbers that are based more on OOC schedules than win loss results. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

#buttRPI

The years NDSU and SDSU have been dominant in basketball in the Summit, we have beat them or competed very well with them.  I have no doubt this year would be any different if we played anyone other than NDSU.  I will put stock in that before looking at numbers that are based more on OOC schedules than win loss results. 

Yes because one game means everything.....

20 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

If you say so.

That's because we didn't move up with them and they were able to establish their recruiting of top talent in the region that we would have otherwise been taking.

• Upvote 1

Have to say the time zone debate has always been a comical one for me.  Many argue that the common 8:00 start for road basketball games in the Big Sky is inconvenient for having to stay up so late.  Yet in the NCC days, home men's basketball games rarely started before 8:30 due to the double header set up.  There are usually only 3 games a year with a 9:00 start.

Youngstown, Indianapolis, and Fort Wayne are all in a different time zone than Grand Forks.

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Since 2000, outside of NDSU's historical run, the MVFC has produced no other national champions. The BSC....2. Montana and EWU.

And what is more important, where a conference was 20 years ago, or where it is going? If we want to talk history, the Gopher football has 7 national championships, but that very relevant to the past 10-20 years.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Have to say the time zone debate has always been a comical one for me.  Many argue that the common 8:00 start for road basketball games in the Big Sky is inconvenient for having to stay up so late.  Yet in the NCC days, home men's basketball games rarely started before 8:30 due to the double header set up.  There are usually only 3 games a year with a 9:00 start.

Youngstown, Indianapolis, and Fort Wayne are all in a different time zone than Grand Forks.

You'll play in Youngstown once every three years or so...if they are even still around. 

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

For those that are in favor of Big Sky affiliation, I think the dismay comes from the fact that this move gives yet more credence to the perception that UND's largest focus athletically is to be conjoined to NDSU and will follow their direction in most instances.  We followed them into Division I with the hopes of immediately getting to play them again.  We agreed to be a "buy" game for them in an undeniably embarrassing football contract with them in order to play them again.  There is an old adage in rivalry situations that suggests "the season is a success as long as we beat our rivals".  To me, a move like this confirms that the leadership at UND is content on focusing on being #1 in the state, rather than #1 in the region or #1 in the nation.  This type of thinking is why UND has 1 football national championship to NDSU's 13.  

I concede that this move makes sense financially in the short term.  But looking forward long term, in my opinion Big Sky membership provides UND a path to higher standing and bigger stature on a much wider scale.  Not only to set itself apart from NDSU, but also from SDSU and USD.  All three are fine institutions and our peers both academically and athletically.  However my own long term vision for UND is that when someone from a far reaching corner of the country thinks of college athletics or academics in the Dakotas (North or South), that UND is the first thing that comes to mind.  

So, no my overall dismay doesn't come from a competitive standpoint.  Both leagues provide excellent competition athletically.  I will always feel that the Big Sky offered an opportunity to the entire university as whole, not just the athletic department, that no other school in the region had the benefit of.  One that UND and its supporters never embraced, because they had tunnel vision on being the best in the state, rather than envisioning the casting of a much wider umbrella.

My question with this is, what evidence is there that the Big Sky is so much more highly thought of nation wide? I like the teams in the big sky also, but do you think if you are from Tennessee, Florida or Texas that when you're talking college athletics with your buddies you will say "you know, that university of North Dakota has some awesome athletic programs. I know this because they are in that world renowned conference called the Big Sky!"  Maybe Montana State should move to the MVFC. They would seperate themselves from that boring regional rivalry with Montana thus raising their status nationwide. Or better yet, UND can move to Hockey East, Boston College and Notre Dame sure Trump Duluth and St. Cloud State. We need to think bigger!!

I love the fact that the Big Sky is a single home for all sports, unlike what we are headed for now, but having closer more regional rivalry's makes more sense. 

• Upvote 2