SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

I think this is a great thing for the Summit League conference. Basketball attendance will spike with 4 rival games in a meaningful conference game setting.

The scheduling will be better with 4 possible travel partners. 

The conference tournament in Sioux Falls is going to be bat !@#$ crazy.  It's already one of the best and with you guys join it's even better. 4 teams within driving distance plus Omaha.  And 4 fan bases that really don't  like each other. What's not to like? 

The only negative is non conference games will be tougher to get. 

1 hour ago, FargoBison said:

I'm not, a 10th school makes scheduling easier and probably makes it easier to establish travel partners. Also adds a stable member.

The MVFC side of this equation is far more surprising.  

OK, I'll bite. Eleven is unworkable. Who is leaving in 2020: YSU or Missouri State.

That's the only way this makes sense for the MVFC. And even then ten is bad. Are both going? That'd make nine, a much better number for football conferences.

6 hours ago, lawkota said:

I believe that with this move UND has just signaled that when it comes to athletics, NDSU is the flagship.  That's how I see it.

Flagship is a specific designation you cannot claim it it is bestowed. UND is The Flagship.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

UND did ask in 2010 and the MVFC said they weren't taking two teams, which is why UND took the Big Sky offer to protect football. They had not commented one way or the other on only taking one team and ended up making some compromises with the eastern teams to do so. UND also stayed in touch and inquired more than once between then and mid-2016 and were told they weren't looking at expansion. I'll trust my sources that I can promise you are much closer to the situation than you are on this one. 

They did not think we had any other options we proved them wrong. What is the online broadcast viewing opportunities for Summit and MV?

2 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

I am glad UND is joining the Summit.  This is the keystone that the Summit needed.  The Dakota schools will now control their own destiny.  When the MVC took Loyola - Chicago, over any of the Dakota schools, I thought screw them.  With Wichita State potentially leaving the the MVC, it will be a shell of it's former self.  Obviously, you will have hockey rivals with Denver and UNO, which will be a good rivalry.

As far as the MVFC, who cares?  2020 is a long way off.  A lot can change.  Summit football, FBS - Tier II?

This could happen. If it were to happen I'm hoping its FCS or if Tier II ever comes about that would be a good option. FBS just isn't in the cards for our schools. We can't compete with those Big Ten/SEC type schools year in and year out. Sure every once in awhile we get a team that could finish in the top of the middle of the pack 3rd-5th. I couldn't take it never winning a conference title and never sniffing a national title. 

Well the news has definitely given some FargoU fans a sense of self-importance on message boards and Twitter, so I guess they have that going for them? The entertainment from teeth-gnashing, excuse making and revisionist history of them is an added bonus in this whole thing. 

3 hours ago, SooToo said:

And much of this type of response comes from those who have never been able to get beyond the NDSU obsession.

My friend, UND and NDSU are 80 miles apart and are governed by the same state and university system, in addition to the athletic and academic rivalry. Blatantly ignoring NDSU in terms of UND's conference status - as well as other dynamics - is not ingenuity (or defeating an "obsession", for that matter) but rather pure negligence. 

7 hours ago, puck swami said:

As a Denver fan, it will be great to see UND coming to the Summit League.  Right now, the closest thing DU has to a Summit rivalry is Omaha, but with UND joining, our hockey rivalry can expand to other sports.  I think this is a great move for UND to renew rivalries with other Dakota schools and Omaha as well.  Plus the Summit has a higher RPI than the Big Sky in men's hoops, and you should save a few travel bucks as well. Good move...

As a Fighting Sioux fan, well said Pio fan.

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

It's a riot over there. USD fans are glad we are joining, usual response from Bison and Jacks fans, but Clenz from UNI is a total head case. I wonder if he still has flashbacks from UND's piss pounding of UNI in 2006 in their UNI Dome.

Yah, that D-2 team with Dressler and rb GF kid (Chappel?, killer speed) upset the mighty D-1AA Panther on their field, it literally got Dale Lennon his job at S. Ill. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Well the news has definitely given some FargoU fans a sense of self-importance on message boards and Twitter, so I guess they have that going for them? The entertainment from teeth-gnashing, excuse making and revisionist history of them is an added bonus in this whole thing. 

The teeth gnashing is by a few disgruntled fans that well gnash their teeth . Just like your few. No big deal. Most fans knew it was a possibility. Some arent pleased just because its UND. Others welcome the renewed rivalry.

Of course we are amused by the narrative coming from your side.

Ya-all need to quit following us. See I can do that to.:D

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I believe we lose a recruiting advantage for UND.   Fly to Montana, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Utah, California, Oregon, Idaho, Washington.  Bus to Fargo, Vermillion, Brookings, Omaha, UNI.  Do we fly to Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Denver and Oklahoma ?  We go to a  conference where the other schools are established and Fargo, UNI, SDSU, Youngstown, Illinois State etc are looked upon as the conference powers in FB.  Remember how our coaches talked about how recruits felt the Big Sky was a positive factoring their decision process?  Most Recruits don't know about or care about our old rivalries until after they get here.  We no longer have that unique travel  opportunity to offer recruits.  How does this affect our established recruiting base?  We assume we will get better crowds from visiting teams and I believe we probably will, but how much better? 

We certainly haven't shown we are ready to compete week in and week out with the best of the MVC yet.  Are we ready for the Summit?  We Should be for VB, WBB, and MBB.  We forfeit the opportunity to be a conference champion and lose one of the opportunities to make the playoffs in FB and lose our best chances for playoffs in BB and VB.  We don't make playoffs in WBB or MBB without winning conference tourney.  

I am not too excited about this.  I also don't like asking someone to let us into the Big Sky then backing out when things get tough.  Maybe we have no choice,  but I would rather remain in the Big Sky.   

This move is about location, location, location.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Seriously, if we start adding sports in addition to moving to the SumValley, I may have a stroke.

LOL. I wonder, though, with this conference change if baseball won't be back on the table. I suspect the Slummit -- oh sorrry, the Summit -- would love to have another baseball-playing school. Men's tennis was added, IIRC, to meet requirements for the Big SKy. UND baseball coach still on staff in another position, I believe; discontinue tennis, launder the BB uni's and we're back on the diamond. ... although a little short on players.