SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For the last time:

RPI is meaningless if you are in a one-bid league. Both the BSC and the Summit are one-bid leagues.

Not exactly. While that's essentially true for NCAA tourney selection, higher league RPIs do help in both recruiting and non-leage scheduling, as coaches have told me directly that some recruits and non league teams have thresholds where they will not consider joining or scheduling teams below a certain floor. Additionally, they may also play a role in TV negotiations and sponsorships revenue negotiations.

1 minute ago, bincitysioux said:

Sorry, not as infatuated with NDSU as some folks are on here.  Don't care who we beat to get to the dance.

But you're the one who just used NDSU in your previous argument. 

Both them being in the Dance would be great for the region. Them meeting in the Summit finals would also be great for the region.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How great would it be if UND beat NDSU in order to go to the dance and steal away NDSU's opportunity? Can't have that happen with UND in the BSC.

.........and to that I have received texts from NDSU buddies today "5 national championships greater than one playoff loss...welcome to the MVC" so there's that truth.

The Big Sky was a good conference, but this makes sense.  I always kind of figured this would happen if UND could ever get the MVFC to come around.  They apparently have done that and therefore the move is happening.  I do not think the move would have been worth it if UND had stayed in the Big Sky as a football affiliate.  But I think I prefer Summit/MVFC over Big Sky.  

The only thing that concerns me is that the other Dakota schools would likely leave the Summit for a better conference in a heart beat.  So stability is a concern that is not currently present in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Look at the formula. Quality of schedule has much more to do with your RPI rating than your own quality of play.

I'm well aware of that argument.  Nevertheless, IMO, the Summit is a better BB league than the Big Sky. Adding UND will further strengthen and stabilize it.

2 minutes ago, mksioux said:

The Big Sky was a good conference, but this makes sense.  I always kind of figured this would happen if UND could ever get the MVFC to come around.  They apparently have done that and therefore the move is happening.  I do not think the move would have been worth it if UND had stayed in the Big Sky as a football affiliate.  But I think I prefer Summit/MVFC over Big Sky.  

The only thing that concerns me is that the other Dakota schools would likely leave the Summit for a better conference in a heart beat.  So stability is a concern that is not currently present in the Big Sky.

The 2 South Dakota schools are never going to leave the Summit League as long as the Summit League tournament is in Sioux Falls, and I believe that about a year ago an extension was signed to keep the tournament in Sioux Falls through 2022.  

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, goyotes said:

The 2 South Dakota schools are never going to leave the Summit League as long as the Summit League tournament is in Sioux Falls, and I believe that about a year ago an extension was signed to keep the tournament in Sioux Falls through 2022.  

Good to hear.  If there is stability in both the Summit and MVFC, then I think this is a good move.  

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, I prefer results over philosophical arguments. If NDSU beats UND 9 out of 10 times, then I agree; unfortunately, UND hasn't been able to play NDSU consistently for such DI comparisons to occur. That will now change with this great move. Conversely, if UND consistently beats NDSU in basketball or football, I don't see how your flagship statement can hold any water. 

Agreed.  Results trump anything else and I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong. 

15 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Seriously, if we start adding sports in addition to moving to the SumValley, I may have a stroke.

Schlossman indicated he didn't see baseball coming back and I would have to agree with him. Summit had its chance to stabilize its baseball situation when UND applied to be an affiliate member. Why the Summit turned them down at that point, I'll never understand. Ship has sailed.

48 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Going to miss UND playing the Montana schools but other than that, didn't really care either way for the rest of the Big Sky teams.

Both conferences have teams no one cares. Idaho State =IUPUI, Sac St = Western Illinois. For football it was the Montana's and EWU, and in basketball it was Weber and the Montana's that people cared the most about. I can't wait to see another double OT thriller against USD, or a blowout basketball win in Fargo. Add UNI in the mix along with a SL tournament just down the interstate, and it could create more excitement. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, goyotes said:

There is a group of posters on Any Given Saturday that have made that site pretty much useless unless one enjoys following a conversation at the 2nd or 3rd grade level.

This couldn't me more accurate!

FWIW I am looking forward to playing South Dakota every year in football and Vermillian isn't a terrible drive from Colorado so I will probably get to a game there at some point. 

3 minutes ago, SooToo said:

Ugh. Trading in a high-profile, stable conference for one from operates like a revolving door.  Serious lack of vision in this move. The fact that 50% of the posts here focus  on a  single regional school reflects the obsession far too many fans -- and apparently some coaches and administrators --have with the AC, a school/team that would leave this conference in a heartbeat if it had the opportunity. Hard for me to see the great benefit in being part of a basketball tournament that essentially gives home-court advantage to the same two teams year after year. And nothing like travel to scenic Rust Belt cities like Youngstown.

I lost you at high profile....