SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

MVFC/Summit Conference: closest school to UND is 807 miles away. 

Big Sky Conference: closest school to UND is 81 miles away.

In my opinion, it's obvious where UND belongs. Since UND has been in the Big Sky Conference (since 2012), football and MBB have 1 combined conference championship; thus, conference dominance shouldn't factor into this. UND needs to do big things (and should) in the Summit/MVFC and win the BSC in the interim. 

You 've got it backwards, but you are correct. The logic of the move is inescapable. This is great for the Summit League and the State of North Dakota as well as UND.

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Let's see.  What will this move do.  Just off the top of my head...

1.  Save money in a time where UND is looking to trim the budget

2.  Potentially save programs for being cut

3.  Potentially bring back baseball

4.  Renew rivalries with longtime rivals like NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNO

5.  Increase attendance due to familiarity with opponents

6.  Getting NDSU to play at the Alerus Center

7.  Being able to travel to more road games

8.  Conference tournament for basketball is in Sioux Falls

etc

etc

etc

Right! 

Can anyone tell me why they DON'T like it, other than saying we have to deal with trolls (which does suck haha)?

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Right! 

Can anyone tell me why they DON'T like it, other than saying we have to deal with trolls (which does suck haha)?

Here is one, I and many others who live out here go to the game against UNC. Our crowd was very good this year. 

• Upvote 3

Not sure how to absorb this yet, intial feeling is good.

I get to go to road games again to see the Bison and 2 SD's, I like the SD's presidents in that they work at their alma matar.

Seemed like we were figuring out our recruiting, and wonder if that will change.

Bison lucked out on their 2019 home OOC FB game, we'll get even with them for that.

Baseball coming back???????

Good to be seeing you 3 again!

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Let's see.  What will this move do.  Just off the top of my head...

1.  Save money in a time where UND is looking to trim the budget

2.  Potentially save programs for being cut

3.  Potentially bring back baseball

4.  Renew rivalries with longtime rivals like NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNO

5.  Increase attendance due to familiarity with opponents

6.  Getting NDSU to play at the Alerus Center

7.  Being able to travel to more road games

8.  Conference tournament for basketball is in Sioux Falls

etc

etc

etc

Also,  a whole lot of new material for the Football Look A Like threads! :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

Here is one, I and many others who live out here go to the game against UNC. Our crowd was very good this year. 

That's fair, but I was thinking on it's effect for UND athletics as a whole. Not for individuals. That sucks, though, for you.

1 minute ago, bincitysioux said:

Being the only Dakota school in the Big Sky is a huge opportunity, that is now lost, that for some reason has never been embraced by the leadership at UND and a good contingent of the fanbase.

But hey, as longs we get to play NDSU, life is good. :silly:

Once we are into the MVFC scheduling rotation, NDSU will HAVE to travel to Grand Forks every other year. Unless they want to forfeit! :p

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, bincitysioux said:

Being the only Dakota school in the Big Sky is a huge opportunity, that is now lost, that for some reason has never been embraced by the leadership at UND and a good contingent of the fanbase.

Hey, that's fair. I can see why that is attractive. However, I do see why having rivalries back and not needing to travel 800 miles all the time is best.

5 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I absolutely see where you are coming from, but should UND cater more to UND alumni living in Colorado or UND alumni still living (with many still working and contributing to UND) in North Dakota? After all, UND is the flagship university of North Dakota. 

If UND is trying to please all of its alumni based on travel distance, it is just a no-win situation. If UND can logically decrease travel costs for both the athletic teams and local UND athletics' supporters, then they should do it. I am glad they made the move. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Best quote from the Herald Article:

Well I guess that makes the entire move to DI a monumental success.  We'll just jump in the the back seat, and let the other Dakota schools drive I guess.....................

Like our chauffeur, yes.  "Drop us off on the high road, please."

4 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hey, that's fair. I can see why that is attractive. However, I do see why having rivalries back and not needing to travel 800 miles all the time is best.

How much does being the only Dakota school in a conference add in tangible benefits though?

It's not like because we were in a separate conference recruits didn't notice Moo U playing in The Summit 80 miles down the road.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Kab said:

Like who gives a !@#$ about playing Indiana schools that anyone up here has ever heard about 

attendance to those games won't be better plus what night of the week will they be on

What kind of attendance were we pulling in against N. Arizona or Idaho St? I really don't know, but I wouldn't expect it to be all that different.

• Upvote 2