SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Very well said, in the beginning UND and USD knew of the cost ramifications and therefore weren't interested in the initial move. And there are many more costs that came along that most people don't even come close to realize. The SU's like to say it was the scare of the NCC of not having enough FB scholarships. 

Here's where the drive was from within as explained to me in the early years of Div I by a cousin of mine, who was a county extension agent. And this is what the two schools sold their alumni on. We are loosing our great professors and sraff to Div I schools because if your Div I, everyone gets a much bigger salary. Sure, we are going to pay our coaches much more also, in fact everyone in the academics, we will be that much better a institution. We SU's really need this or we will end up with the not so desired staff. And wait, this will also help to raise salaries in the whole state with people in county extension offices, all employees of the SU's, and so on.

You are a bit off on your first statement.  In the late 90's there was a proposal put forth to move the entire NCC up to D1/FCS.  USD voted in favor of doing so.  Once UNC and the XDSU's announced they were moving to D1 USD knew it was inevitable we were as well.  We didn't move up at the same time as the rest because we had to get some housekeeping items in order and get the money ramped up to do so. 

27 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Or how bout: who in the Big Sky can say UND is their rival?!

it's only been 6 years.  the start of some potentially great rivalries was in the making.  If women's hockey gets axed this move will be more palatable to me.   But if we're leaving the big sky to essentially help continue to pay for the money pit that is women's hockey, I will need a lot more ketchup on my bisonburger.      

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

If you say so.

Fact is SDSU participated in post season football 1 time out of 120 years of football before they joined the Valley.  Point is there are more ways to measure the "strength" of a conference than by RPI, GPI, or SRS.

Doesn't really matter.  I'm sure I won't convince you and you won't convince me either.

One of you is accepting reality and the other is throwing a pointless tantrum, repeatedly.  

The move appears to be made.  

4 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

Please name names.  Who in the Big Sky viewed UND as a rival?  Who did UND view as a rival?

As many that view UND as a rival in the Summit or MVFC..............................................what's your point?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

MVFC Meeting

Pres. A “We have enough buses”

Pres. C “We have to enlarge gas tank on our bus”

Pres I    “We’ll have to carry a spare tire”

Pres. G “We will have to Fly”

Pres. D “I will go along with whatever”

Pres. H. “We might leave”

Institution E “We don’t have a Pres.”

Pres. J “We don’t really care about FB”

Institution B “We are losing our Pres.”

Pres. F “Does FOIA apply with texting?”

Patty Viverito “Break, re-group in half hour”

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

MVFC Meeting

LMFAO! :lol:

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

MVFC Meeting

Got me to laugh out loud.

47 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

it's only been 6 years.  the start of some potentially great rivalries was in the making.  If women's hockey gets axed this move will be more palatable to me.   But if we're leaving the big sky to essentially help continue to pay for the money pit that is women's hockey, I will need a lot more ketchup on my bisonburger.      

So you're telling me that maybe we were on the verge of possibly starting a rivalry with potentially some teams was maybe about to happen sometime? :D

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

As many that view UND as a rival in the Summit or MVFC..............................................what's your point?

I grew up UND, I attended and graduated UND, I knew who our rival was:  NDSU.  Memorial and Hyslop were full with UND played NDSU.  Then there was the breakup and the different times going D1 and we finally land in the Big Sky.  I was told the Big Sky was going to be so awesome but other than my love of football, no game gets me boiling about an upcoming game.  I feel pretty blah about the Big Sky and have no inclination to attend a Big Sky basketball or volleyball game.  We tried it, we stepped out and played in a new conference and I am not bowled over.  For those that are not happy with a move to the Summit and MVFC where the teams that I get excited about reside, what am I missing about the Big Sky am I missing?  Who are are rivals?  Everything seems pretty bland in the Big Sky to me.

• Upvote 1

Watching some of the basketball games on Eversport (that is the one thing I will miss) there are plenty of "have nots" with small fan bases in the conference. The name has some glitter but the reality is it's a lower level mid-level. 

11 minutes ago, Air Force One said:

I grew up UND, I attended and graduated UND, I knew who our rival was:  NDSU.  Memorial and Hyslop were full with UND played NDSU.  Then there was the breakup and the different times going D1 and we finally land in the Big Sky.  I was told the Big Sky was going to be so awesome but other than my love of football, no game gets me boiling about an upcoming game.  I feel pretty blah about the Big Sky and have no inclination to attend a Big Sky basketball or volleyball game.  We tried it, we stepped out and played in a new conference and I am not bowled over.  For those that are not happy with a move to the Summit and MVFC where the teams that I get excited about reside, what am I missing about the Big Sky am I missing?  Who are are rivals?  Everything seems pretty bland in the Big Sky to me.

Cue the Uncle Rico footage from Napoleon Dynamite...........................................................................key word "was".

...then you missed out my friend.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1