SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND had an opportunity to pave it's own path in the D1 era..................................................not now.

I am pretty sure they can still pave their own path, but everyone has a right to an opinion (just remember, whether one has a particular entitlement or right is irrelevant to whether one's assertion is true or false). 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I absolutely see where you are coming from, but should UND cater more to UND alumni living in Colorado or UND alumni still living (with many still working and contributing to UND) in North Dakota? After all, UND is the flagship university of North Dakota. 

If UND is trying to please all of its alumni based on travel distance, it is just a no-win situation. If UND can logically decrease travel costs for both the athletic teams and local UND athletics' supporters, then they should do it. I am glad they made the move. 

I totally see where you are coming from but I will believe this when I see a solid UND contingent at away games other than NDSU. 

Also, as I said above I am having a selfish reaction because it is nice to have UND Football play every other year within a 2 hour drive. In the end UND will be just fine.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

I totally see where you are coming from but I will believe this when I see a solid UND contingent at away games other than NDSU. 

Also, as I said above I am having a selfish reaction because it is nice to have UND Football play every other year within a 2 hour drive. In the end UND will be just fine.

I agree with you in that it will be interesting to see what kind of UND crowds show up in Brookings and Vermillion for basketball and football games. Not to mention, the basketball tourney in Sioux Falls should have a fun crowd, too. 

13 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Not sure how to absorb this yet, intial feeling is good.

I get to go to road games again to see the Bison and 2 SD's, I like the SD's presidents in that they work at their alma matar.

Seemed like we were figuring out our recruiting, and wonder if that will change.

Bison lucked out on their 2019 home OOC FB game, we'll get even with them for that.

Baseball coming back???????

Good to be seeing you 3 again!

Living in the Twin Cities, this brings NDSU, SDSU, USD and Northern Iowa all within easy travel distance for me.  Will probably be at all of those road fb games in the future.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

How much does being the only Dakota school in a conference add in tangible benefits though?

It's not like because we were in a separate conference recruits didn't notice Moo U playing in The Summit 80 miles down the road.

I can see it as a recruiting theme. Kid from ND can see more of the country in a conference that isn't based around here? Idk lol.

6 minutes ago, lawkota said:

I believe that with this move UND has just signaled that when it comes to athletics, NDSU is the flagship.  That's how I see it.

Well, I prefer results over philosophical arguments. If NDSU beats UND 9 out of 10 times, then I agree; unfortunately, UND hasn't been able to play NDSU consistently for such DI comparisons to occur. That will now change with this great move. Conversely, if UND consistently beats NDSU in basketball or football, I don't see how your flagship statement can hold any water. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, puck swami said:

As a Denver fan, it will be great to see UND coming to the Summit League.  Right now, the closest thing DU has to a Summit rivalry is Omaha, but with UND joining, our hockey rivalry can expand to other sports.  I think this is a great move for UND to renew rivalries with other Dakota schools and Omaha as well.  Plus the Summit has a higher RPI than the Big Sky in men's hoops, and you should save a few travel bucks as well. Good move...

For the last time:

RPI is meaningless if you are in a one-bid league. Both the BSC and the Summit are one-bid leagues.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with you in that it will be interesting to see what kind of UND crowds show up in Brookings and Vermillion for basketball and football games. Not to mention, the basketball tourney in Sioux Falls should have a fun crowd, too. 

This is an upside I am on board with. The tourney in Reno was pretty sad in terms of attendance.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For the last time:

RPI is meaningless if you are in a one-bid league. Both the BSC and the Summit are one-bid leagues.

It's an indication of the quality of play. Don't you want to see better teams come to GF? NDSU's game against IPFW last week was great.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

For the last time:

I mean you might get a 12 seed instead of a 16 seed which is a much better match up.  I would much rather face a 5 seed than a 1 seed and get blown out.  

• Upvote 1